Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-08 Marlins (Penny) at Brewers (Gallardo), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-4]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/marlins.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 8 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Marlins (69-72) | Brewers (74-69)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/9yOpeBP.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/TOf7ciT.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Brad Penny[/pitcher][h2]1-1, 6.61 ERA, 1.96 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Penny didn't make it past the third in his last start vs. the Mets Tuesday. In three frames, he gave up four runs on seven hits. When he makes his second straight start Monday, he'll face a team against whom he has a 5.07 ERA in eight career starts.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Yovani Gallardo[/pitcher][h2]8-8, 3.43 ERA, 1.26 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Marlins | Game Log[/h3][h3]Pushed from the series against his nemeses, the Cardinals, Gallardo will instead pitch against a Marlins team he has handled to the tune of a 5-0 record and 1.12 ERA in seven career starts.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. LF Christian Yelich
  2. 2B Donovan Solano
  3. RF Giancarlo Stanton
  4. 3B Casey McGehee
  5. CF Marcell Ozuna
  6. 1B Garrett Jones
  7. C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
  8. SS Adeiny Hechavarria
  9. RHP Brad Penny

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. 2B Scooter Gennett
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. RF Ryan Braun
  6. LF Khris Davis
  7. 1B Mark Reynolds
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Yovani Gallardo

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marlins, Brewers set to face off for playoff position

Penny, Gallardo to battle as Wild Card push continues

By Stephen Pianovich / MLB.com | 9/7/2014 7:22 PM ET

The Brewers' season is spiraling out of control. They've won just three times in their last 17 games, once in their last 12, and the team that led the National League Central for the season's first five months enters Monday on the outside of the playoff picture.

Milwaukee hosts Miami for four games, as the Marlins look to take advantage of the slumping Crew. The Brewers are currently tied with Atlanta, a half-game behind Pittsburgh for the second Wild Card spot, while the Marlins are 4 1/2 out with 21 games left on their schedule.

The Brewers held a players-only meeting after their latest defeat, 9-1, to the Cardinals in which they committed three errors. The Marlins are clinging to a slim postseason hope and are three games under .500. Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy said the team is well aware that the Marlins are hungry for September wins as well.

"I won't discount anybody, whomever it is," Lucroy said. "The Marlins, we went down there earlier in the year and had a pretty good series, but we're going to have to get after it again and be ready for them. Same thing. We have to get after it and play hard. Let's make some things happen."

The Brewers held first place in the Central for 159 days this season, but are now five back of St. Louis. They do have 19 more games to play, which gives them time to turn it around. But as manager Ron Roenicke pointed out, wins need to come soon.

"There's plenty of time left, but we better get it going," he said. "We can't keep saying this and 10 days from now, keep saying it. There is plenty of time. A good week right now puts you right where you want to be."

Yovani Gallardo will get the start for the Brewers, who have dropped each of his last three outings. Gallardo gave up seven runs -- five earned -- over five innings in his last start against Chicago.

Meanwhile, Brad Penny will be on the mound for Miami. It will be Penny's fifth start of the season, and his last one didn't go well. En route to collecting his first loss of 2014, the 14-year Major League veteran gave up four runs on seven hits and left after three innings against the Mets.

"When you leave the ball up, you're going to give up hits," Penny said after the loss. "That's what happened tonight. It stinks going out there and giving those runs up early. It doesn't give your team a chance to win."

Brewers: Gomez could be back in lineup for series opener

Carlos Gomez's recovery form a sprained left wrist has been ahead of schedule in the last week, and the center fielder may be back in his usual leadoff spot against Miami on Monday. He took his first at-bat in a week Sunday, as he hit a pinch-hit RBI single in the ninth inning of a loss to the Cardinals.

"We talked about it today. I think that's what we'll do," manager Ron Roenicke said on Sunday morning. "It kind of depends on talking to him and where he is. If he would feel more comfortable down somewhere, we'll do that. He hasn't really been gone that long, so it's more on physically what he can do."

Gomez has only been available for pinch running and defensive services since hurting the wrist last Sunday against the Giants. He took batting practice on the field Saturday, and afterward, said he biggest worry with the injury is how it feels on a swing and a miss.

Marlins: Jones returns after two-game 'mental break'

First baseman Garrett Jones went 1-for-2 with a double and a run scored in Miami's 4-0 win against the Braves on Sunday. This came after Jones was held out of action for two days for a "mental break."

Jones hit .184 in August, and September didn't start the way he wanted, either, as he had just one hit in his first 10 at-bats this month. He said the time on the bench helped him clear his head, as he hit his 26th double of the season. He was lifted for a pinch-hitter, right-hander Jeff Baker, in the sixth.

"I just tried to relax and watch the games, and not dwell on my performance over the last month," Jones said of the break. "I just kind of relaxed, hit the reset button. I worked a little bit in the cage, but not too much."

Worth noting

• Giancarlo Stanton has three hits in 11 at-bats against the Brewers this season. Two of which have been solo home runs.

The Brewers haven't won a series since sweeping the Dodgers from Aug. 15-17. After the sweep, they had a three-game lead in the Central.

• Henderson Alvarez threw a bullpen on Sunday and felt no discomfort in the left oblique that has been bothering him since his start on Aug. 27. Redmond said he should be back in the rotation some time this week.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe it's time for me to stop being so bitter and more optimistic. Tonight, I promise not to complain about anything that goes wrong. I will cheer and enjoy the things that go right. I will not criticize any decisions that are or are not made. I accept that I have no control over the results. That feels so much better. I hope to enjoy a win.

Does RR know that with 19 games left and a full pen it is ok to get somebody up before your starter loses the game in the 2nd inning?

Gallardo is a "veteran leader" on the team and that would be undignified to treat him like that

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I have to question why Reynolds is playing at this point. Clark may not be the future, but he's been very hot at AAA and it would be nice to see if he can hit major league pitching. It's pretty clear that Reynolds cannot.

Around the all-star break I posted I didn't think there was anyway the Pirates would challenge the Brewers this season given all they've gone through. it never occurred to me that instead of hanging in the division race all season the Brewers would play their way all the back to competition for the last WC spot. Miami is only 4.5 back in the WC race which I find surprising.

Pittsburgh is winning 2-1 in the 6th, Atlanta losing 0-1 in the 7th.

Nice friggen pitch Yo, cripes... then he hangs a CB to McGehee that Gomez thankfully runs down.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived