Brewer Fanatic

All time Brewer Collapses

JohnBriggs12

This year has to rank up there at or near the top. Of course the near collapse that cost Yost his job in 08 would have been right up there too.

This one feels a lot like 1983 to me. They were poised to win another division title that year and defend their AL crown, and were in first place as late as August 25th then lost 18 of their next 24, and looked awful doing it. That hangover from that collapse carried right into 1984, one of the most dismal seasons in Brewer history which doesn't bode well for 2015.

This year has to rank up there at or near the top. Of course the near collapse that cost Yost his job in 08 would have been right up there too.

This one feels a lot like 1983 to me. They were poised to win another division title that year and defend their AL crown, and were in first place as late as August 25th then lost 18 of their next 24, and looked awful doing it. That hangover from that collapse carried right into 1984, one of the most dismal seasons in Brewer history which doesn't bode well for 2015.

The other two seasons that come to mind are 2007 and 2008. Both collapses. Even though in 2008 we got back into the playoffs. Obviously in 2007 we didn't.

As for 2015, that's fine. There is a part of me that wants the Brewers to be so far out of it in June of next year we sell it all. Look at all the expiring contracts we could trade away.

Lohse and Gallardo could bring in top prospects if they are having good seasons. We really need them to be pitching well in the front half of next year.

Ramirez and Parra could easily net good returns.

Broxton - Let him be the closer and hope his ERA stays low and you will easily dump him for a nice return.

This would bring in a ton of talent. So if they are good, ok that's fine. Hopefully we don't collapse next year. But if we stink, lets stink early and often please.

Any discussion of Brewer collapses would be incomplete if we didn't mention the Del Crandall era from 1973 to 1975.

In 73, the Brewers went from first place on June 19th to 23 games behind at seasons end.

In 74, they were just 2 games back on July 16th, only to finish 15 games back.

Then in 75, they were tied for the lead on July 5th, only to stumble in so badly, they finished 28 games back. Of course that was the year they dealt my guy Briggs in midseason for Bobby Darwin who was simply awful in a Brewer uniform.

It took 3 straight collapses for it to finally cost Crandall his job. Now those weren't quite as acute, and having never won, not all that unexpected, but they were each painful in their own way.

What's most disturbing about this season is that this is a veteran club and for the most part it's veterans like Braun, Lohse and Gallardo that have let the team down the most. The ability to deal guys next year is a positive way to look at it, but if Gallardo and Lohse are pitching well enough to bring back much return, it's likely they'll be in good position.

How about 2004? I don't think many had delusions of the Brewers contending that year, but the collapse was impressive nonetheless. After July 1st, the Brewers were 41-34, 7 games over .500 and 3.5 games behind the NL best Cardinals.

They finished out the year a staggering 26-60 to finish 67-94, 27 games under .500 and 37.5 games behind the Cardinals.

I am not Shea Vucinich

I give that 87 team credit though as they were able to recover with a 67-50 record the rest of the way. They were just in a very tough division with the Blue Jays and Tigers over 96 wins. The Brewers would have won the west by 6 games over the Twins, the eventual world champs.

In 2007, it still felt like the team was on an upswing and their best days were in front of them. In 1983, it really seemed like the end of an era for a rapidly aging team. This team feels a little more like the latter, but not overwhelmingly so. The team probably heads into next year with a similar outlook as they had this year...a .500 or slightly above team that if they caught a few breaks and stayed healthy could make a run. What's so sad about this team is they caught a ton of breaks and played well early, getting 19 games over .500 at one point. If they just played to their expected win total the remainder of the year or even slightly below, they're still in first. Instead they've embarked on an epic crap fest of a collapse that has me posting in this depressing thread. Ugh.

Glad you brought up 1983. Everyone talks about 1982 and all, yet no one remembers they were successful the following year as well. First place in August until the (ironically) west coast road trip from hell. The days as an AL powerhouse were gone forever.

One of the more frustrating things is that there haven't been any major injuries that can be used as an excuse this year. Lohse, Garza, Braun, Gomez, and Ramirez all had relatively short DL stints, but none so bad that you can blame this collapse on. Then again, I don't think there are any legitimate excuses for such a horrible and ill timed losing streak.

I really can't remember a time when both the hitting and pitching have been so bad at the same time. Maybe you'd have to go back to some of the really bad early 2000's teams, but even in those days you'd have a guy like Geoff Jenkins or Richie Sexson who could step up and carry the team for short stretches. No one is stepping up right now.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

How about 2004? I don't think many had delusions of the Brewers contending that year, but the collapse was impressive nonetheless. After July 1st, the Brewers were 41-34, 7 games over .500 and 3.5 games behind the NL best Cardinals.

They finished out the year a staggering 26-60 to finish 67-94, 27 games under .500 and 37.5 games behind the Cardinals.

I agree, I think 2004 should be included. A lot of us were thinking at the time that would be the year the losing season streak would be over.

What makes this collapse the worst for me is we were in first place for most of the season and had a good lead not too long ago. It is rather shocking how every facet of the team is tanking simultaneously. :( I keep wondering when I'll wake up from this nightmare...

I agree, I think 2004 should be included. A lot of us were thinking at the time that would be the year the non-losing season streak would be over.

Along that same line, how about 2005? It looked like towards of the end of the season, we'd finally have a winning record...then the team choked in the final stretch, and ended up with a "tied" 81-81 record. Ned Yost talked about how they were going to have a big celebratory dinner if they finished with a winning record after the final game, but ended up donating all the food. I remember being really bummed out that they didn't finish above .500.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Think there's a pattern here? Some might think it's depressing bringing up bad memories, but nothing is more depressing than watching this team look just pathetic the last two weeks. It helps me to know we've been through this level of pathetic before. This year takes the cake for suddenness though.

Worst Collapse Ever. This year's collapse has the 2nd wild card to fall back on to make the Playoffs. We've gone and not only blown the Division/first WC/ but now the 2nd WC spot. That is all that's left for a glimmer of hope to regain it. Never, ever did I imagine we'd lose a WC position a few weeks ago. We had the Cubs games to count on(swept outscored 17-5 that have lost 4 straight since being outscored 28-7!) plus Cincy/Cubs to finish the season. A bunch of winable games that now? I'm banking on the Team to lose most of them. On Aug 19th the team was 71-55. 5th best record in Baseball. 2.5games ahead of StL and 4.5games ahead of SF for 2nd wild card spot. Even the 25th at 73-58 they had the 6th best record in Baseball, 1.5 ahead of StL, and still 4games ahead of SF for 2nd WC.

1-12....16th best record in baseball today! 10teams have jumped us in win pct in 13 games. 6games behind StL/4.5 behind SF and 1.5 behind Pitts for 2nd WC. 6 vs. Cincy 3 vs Mia, StL, Pitts, and Cubs remain. The team won't finish finish last but a real chance to finish 4th under .500 record and an ironic 12th pick in the Draft for 2015. First to 50wins on that date we were 12.5games ahead of 12th worst record in Baseball. No doubt we are on the way to having the Worst record in Baseball since June 27th as Tampa had 33wins at .402 win pct on that date 82games in to the season. if we win 32games from that point 32-48 we at least attain 82wins on the season. Can Milw even get to 80?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?year=2014&month=6&day=27&submit=Submit+Date

To put it in perspective. 4th worst record in Baseball since 50wins.(Texas,Colorado,+Minnesota) But while we won .387 win pct the Pythagorean only has the team at .412 in that span. which amounts to 1 single more win and 2 less losses or 1.5games difference.

The pythagorean numbers also list the team as the 3rd worst team since 50wins. (Texas + Cubs, with Colorado/White Sox a close 4/5)

2nd best record in baseball to 4th worst. Via Pythagorean 5th best record to 3rd worst.

And we actually maintained a division lead from June 27th to Aug 31st! Just 9days ago.

Worst Collapse Ever. This year's collapse has the 2nd wild card to fall back on to make the Playoffs. We've gone and not only blown the Division/first WC/ but now the 2nd WC spot. That is all that's left for a glimmer of hope to regain it. Never, ever did I imagine we'd lose a WC position a few weeks ago. We had the Cubs games to count on(swept outscored 17-5 that have lost 4 straight since being outscored 28-7!) plus Cincy/Cubs to finish the season. A bunch of winable games that now? I'm banking on the Team to lose most of them. On Aug 19th the team was 71-55. 5th best record in Baseball. 2.5games ahead of StL and 4.5games ahead of SF for 2nd wild card spot. Even the 25th at 73-58 they had the 6th best record in Baseball, 1.5 ahead of StL, and still 4games ahead of SF for 2nd WC.

1-12....16th best record in baseball today! 10teams have jumped us in win pct in 13 games. 6games behind StL/4.5 behind SF and 1.5 behind Pitts for 2nd WC. 6 vs. Cincy 3 vs Mia, StL, Pitts, and Cubs remain. The team won't finish finish last but a real chance to finish 4th under .500 record and an ironic 12th pick in the Draft for 2015. First to 50wins on that date we were 12.5games ahead of 12th worst record in Baseball. No doubt we are on the way to having the Worst record in Baseball since June 27th as Tampa had 33wins at .402 win pct on that date 82games in to the season. if we win 32games from that point 32-48 we at least attain 82wins on the season. Can Milw even get to 80?

and the worst part is, this is the second such horrendous stretch we have had this season. If you take away the two stretches of just horrendous baseball, the Brewers would look like a 100 win team. (They would have a .600+ winning percentage at 72-47) ... Just amazing how bad they can play for a continued length of time and have their two bad stretches be a combined 2-23. It is just unreal.

all-time Brewer collapses in a season? I think this tops the list. To go from sweeping the Dodgers on the road towards late August, when the Brewers were a few games off the best record in the NL, to essentially losing all but 2 games since then and falling completely out of a playoff picture that includes 2 wild card spots in a league with only 7 total teams even close to contending for 5 playoff berths is flat-out crazy.

it could turn around just as quickly as it's fallen apart and the Brewers could sneak in as a wild card, but this has been an epic fall at the worst possible time of the season.

It's as if it took until late August for the baseball world to finally view the Brewers as a playoff team, and as soon as that happened the Brewers promptly started playing horrible, horrible baseball.

Archived