Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks - 1,000 Hits

Bombers

@MikeVassallo13: #Brewers w/1,000 or more hits: Yount, Molitor, Cooper, Gantner, Braun, Jenkins, Money, Oglivie, Surhoff, Moore, Cirillo and Weeks.

Congrats Rickie. That is some good company. To bad he couldn't stay injury free during his years here.

One has to wonder how he'd be viewed if they injury bug didn't hit him for a couple key seasons. Seems like a good man. Wish it would have turned out differently for him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

One has to wonder how he'd be viewed if they injury bug didn't hit him for a couple key seasons. Seems like a good man. Wish it would have turned out differently for him.

A couple? Did you mean to say too bad he only avoided the injury bug in a couple of seasons? He only had two seasons where he played in more than 150 games. His next top games played is only 129.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In only 2 seasons has Rickie ever reached 500 PA's. In hypothetical world where he stays *mostly* healthy and averages 145 games a season or so I don't think it's outrageous to think he could possibly be sitting around 1,500 hits and 200 homeruns around now.

To me the biggest disappointment isn't that he didn't turn into a perennial all star. Lots of guys flame out. It's that he couldn't ever stay on the field.

I see Weeks going somewhere to DH and having a breakout year. Seattle anybody?

Weeks for Paxton. Make it happen, DM.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Rickie Weeks picture is next to "career underachiever" in the dictionary. Injuries played a role sure, but this is a guy who was 2nd pick in the entire draft and was top hitter in all college baseball two straight years. Even his best years didn't approach matching the level of his apparent talent.

I remember this forum back when Rickie got drafted. So much optimism and hope for his future. His lightning quick wrists reminded some of Hank Aaron (!)

It's a shame we never got to see the Rickie we all hoped we would.

According to fangraphs, only 2 players have a higher WAR than Weeks in the first round of the 2003 MLB draft. Nick Markakis and Adam Jones (who went 37th as a supplemental pick), both just marginally and probably because they were healthier. Markakis also plays a superior defense.

I'll never understand the Rickie hate among Brewers fans. The guy played his butt off and for most of his time here was a very good player. He showed he could play at an all star level, he just couldn't stay healthy enough to do it consistently. The injuries have sapped his speed and he's not the same player. I'll be pulling for him hard as long as he's not a Cardinal next year.

The success of Braun and Fielder cloud people's view on Weeks a little I feel because they were first rounders that all came up about the same time and will always be thought of together. The massive failure that is pretty much every other Brewers first round pick (outside of Sheets) isn't on top of mind as much.

I remember this forum back when Rickie got drafted. So much optimism and hope for his future. His lightning quick wrists reminded some of Hank Aaron (!)

It's a shame we never got to see the Rickie we all hoped we would.

I remember a lot of comparisons to Gary Sheffield, but without the attitude issues.

I don't know if you can blame the injuries completely for Weeks' relatively mediocre career. He's had long stretches where he's been apparently healthy, but not producing. Other than short stretches of brilliance, he's never been able to "put it all together" at the MLB level.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'll never understand the Rickie hate among Brewers fans. The guy played his butt off and for most of his time here was a very good player. He showed he could play at an all star level, he just couldn't stay healthy enough to do it consistently. The injuries have sapped his speed and he's not the same player. I'll be pulling for him hard as long as he's not a Cardinal next year.

The things he does well are not well like by many fans. He was bad on defense for most of his career but even during his few "good" defense years had good range but botched easy plays. He carried a low BA but had a good OBP most of his career and he struck out a lot. Heck even this year he has a good batting line. Of course that is probably because of the platoon.

He has been close to or better than average as a hitter for his whole career outside of 2013 and 2003-2004.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

People forget the reality that even 'sure things' are not sure things.

In the 2002 draft (the year before Rickie), first overall pick Brian Bullington appeared in 26 career games, and had a -.2 career WAR.

2nd pick was BJ Upton.

The 3rd and 5th picks, Chris Gruler Chris Everts never made it to the bigs, even for a day.

In the 2003 draft, the 3rd, 5th, and 6th picks never made it to the bigs.

Yes it's very true Rickie never lived up to his full potential, but he also was a productive player at times, and lasted for 10+ years. Not many players (first rounders or otherwise) can even say that.

I see Weeks going somewhere to DH and having a breakout year. Seattle anybody?

Fixed that for you. An AL GM that signs Weeks to be there DH deserves to walked off a cliff. Nothing about him gives the DH impression. I'm not sure Weeks plays Baseball next season.

A second basemen with a .750+ OPS plays next year.

He as a pretty close to even number of PA against both handed pitchers. I thought he would have mostly PA against LHP and those numbers would be heavily platoon driven. Yeah his defense still stinks but it wouldn't be surprising to see him get a starting job somewhere and be about league average.(2 WAR)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived