Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-06 Cardinals (Lynn) at Brewers (Lohse), 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3]

TooLiveBrew
Lohse pulled after 79 pitches. On a related note, if anyone finds a misplaced copy of Managing for Beginners, please return it to the Brewers dugout.

I'm not normally a defender of Roenicke but,

You've got the bases loaded with 2 out and have been struggling to score runs. Lohse has not pitched particularly well today anyway. You've got expanded rosters with plenty of extra help.

It was a no-brainer to make the move for the PH in potentially a decisive moment of the game.

I think he was being sarcastic/showing surprise that Roenicke deviated from his normal routine.

Doh. Don't know how I missed that.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Braun needs to seriously consider surgery in the off season if there's a chance that it will fix his thumb. Because the many months he had over the suspension/offseason haven't been the solution.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Reynolds is the guy you bring up when you're down 3 and you have 2 guys on and you need a 3 run dinger. Not the guy you bring up int the 6th when you just need a base hit. Even my son just now is like "We just need a base hit here? Why is he using Reynolds???"

Watching Roenicke manage is maddening.

Gorzelanny has given up one earned run and is averaging more than one strikeout per inning. Is his arm taped on or has he developed crippling anxiety in high leverage situations that would explain why he has only pitched 19.2 innings in almost three months, much of those meaningless?

Games like this one are precisely why I want Ron Roenicke gone. I have nothing against Ron Roenicke the man. He's actually quite likeable. And, I think he genuinely cares for his team. But, he just makes bad decisions, time and time again. And this team, while it is talented, is not so good that it can overcome the mistakes we make because of his managing.

I don't know if this team could be improved just by replacing a few coaches. We obviously need a third base coach, because we have Stevie Wonder there now. But I don't know if Ron Roenicke will replace his coaches. He feels a loyalty to them just like Mike McCarthy feels a loyalty to his coaches. But that loyalty clouds his judgement, and season after season ends because the game has passed defensive coordinator Dom Capers by. Well, Ron is guilty of the same. He accepts the status quo, and while this team has outperformed projections, the fact that we were 18 games over, but have lost that, and the lead we had--much of that because of poor baseball fundamentals that could be corrected--should not be lost. This team was good enough to beat every other team to 50 wins. That's not a fluke. But when we are not playing at our best, we simply are not good enough to overcome one mistake after another. The Brewers cannot beat a good team in more than one way, and I feel it's high time we correct that.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived