Brewer Fanatic

Question about Mark A now that the Crew failed to make playoffs (Latest 10/10: Roenicke will return, Johnny Narron and Iorg gone)

brewmann04
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
Non tender Estrada, Kinztler and potentially Parra.

In his WSSP interview Tue., Melvin specifically mentioned Estrada's end-of-season scoreless string and 2015 depth.

They could still non-tender, but it seems they're not leaning that way at this time. Marco did his overall numbers no favors in getting a giant arby bump.

Non tender Estrada, Kinztler and potentially Parra.

In his WSSP interview Tue., Melvin specifically mentioned Estrada's end-of-season scoreless string and 2015 depth.

They could still non-tender, but it seems they're not leaning that way at this time. Marco did his overall numbers no favors in getting a giant arby bump.

Do you mean his overall numbers will no him no favors in getting a giant arby bump? :)

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

In some ways I think that by NOT immediately saying RRR is coming back the team is almost forced to let him go. Doubt has been instilled by the lack of support. If RRR is retained, every move and every loss will make people and players wonder when will the axe fall.

Before the season ended I would have guessed that Roenicke would come back. I'm not so sure now. I think that by waiting, the team has caste a cloud over the guy....

I get the logic but I think it's backwards. Roenicke is already under contract. The Brewers don't have to state publicly that he's returning. They'd only need to announce if he's not.

One thing that's striking about the both the Brewer front office and the field staff is that they are all basically from the same generation. Nobody is younger than 53. That's not to say anyone of them is too old, but I think they could use a guy or two who's less than 20 years removed from his playing days.

Johnny Narron is 63. Is it any wonder he can't get through to guys in their 20's?

I would hope that whatever new coaches are brought in or if Roenicke himself is axed that they can find a manager who's more in the mold of Matheny or Ausmus and not that far removed from playing.

The most telling comment by Attanasio was when he called the team "catatonic" which was a very apt description of this bunch the last 6 weeks.

I'm still not 100% positive that Melvin is safe. We hear all the time about the dreaded vote of confidence from the owner. I actually hope Melvin is gone, he has almost reached the end of his career anyways, would rather have the new GM pick his own manager and if Melvin sticks I assume he is going to make a horrible trade with prospects in the off season to win in 2015.

If there is a move i am thinking it might be the whole staff but it most likely be some of his Coaches.I am thinking by listening to doug he might look to move a starter.

Yeah, I heard him say on the radio they wouldn't move two starters, but possibly one. My guess, we trade Gallardo and change to get a corner infielder and depending on how big a name and what type of cost the guy is, make another move to bring in another veteran. That way when they fire a Narron+ and those other moves, that will be enough change to the roster to have the fans come out to see how they play.

I actually hope Melvin is gone, he has almost reached the end of his career anyways, would rather have the new GM pick his own manager

I think this was a key factor in Attanasio's decisions. Melvin was set to retire a couple of years ago, but got reinvigorated and signed a deal which I believe takes him through the 2015 season. He may choose to keep working, but there is a very good chance he will retire when this contract is up.

This offseason, the GM has to pick Seid's replacement, which is a major decision, and it is possible he will have to find a new manager along with the accompanying staff. The decision is to let a new GM come in and pick his own guys for these positions, or to get these guys in place, and let the new GM come into an operation that is fully staffed. It appears Attanasio prefers the latter. This shows me that even with the talk of "two paths," Attanasio likes the path we've been on and thinks it's the right one, so he wants Melvin to put the staff in place. That leads me to believe that his successor will be someone with a similar mindset on how to run a franchise.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'm not confident at all that this team will go the direction it should go. They still have nothing in the upper levels of the minors so I think that will prevent them from "going young". I don't think Gomez will be traded. I don't think Gallardo or Lohse will be traded. I don't think Nelson will be in the rotation. I don't think they'll find a long term solution for first base or third base. I'm fine with them bringing Ramirez back because it's only a season and, well, what's the alternative? But I would love it if they moved Gallardo or Lohse and Gomez. Parra can hold down center field with Schafer as the primary backup. And Nelson and Fiers can be inserted into the final two spots in the rotation. I assume Estrada will be back as the long man. I haven't got the slightest idea what's going on with Thornburg. How someone can be out this long without having surgery really baffles me. But if healthy (which I'm not counting on at all) he can provide depth as well. I'd actually let him start games in AAA to stretch his arm out.

So overall I see next years year team to be almost exactly the same as this years team with the exception of 1B and with Gennett playing mostly everyday. Let's just hope Melvin doesn't piss away the team's first round pick again.

Are the Brewers risking missing out on any potential new coach candidates by waiting so long? Or is there a rule in place that teams can't contact new candidates before the end of the WS or something?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Are the Brewers risking missing out on any potential new coach candidates by waiting so long? Or is there a rule in place that teams can't contact new candidates before the end of the WS or something?

The Astros already hired a new manager and the Dbacks and Twins are interviewing candidates, so unless your candidate is on a playoff team you're free to talk to whoever you want.

Ron has to be coming back. He would have been fired by now.

I think he is satying to next season and if they fail but GM amd manager will be gone. Right noe i have a feeling the coaches are the ones that will be expendable.

From Attanasio's comments, someone is going to be a "sacrificial lamb" for the collapse this season. He has already said Melvin is safe, so if Roenicke is remaining the manager, then the blame will be placed on some players, which will lead to personnel moves. After the comments, I just don't see them saying it was someone like Weeks or Reynolds who are gone anyways, or a coach who the fans wouldn't recognize. They are going to take some action to make a point to the fans. If not Roenicke, then who?

1) Gomez seems to be the most likely candidate. They could blame his carefree attitude and lack of discipline at the plate and on the bases.

2) Segura could be blamed, but he has no trade value. The move here would be to find another SS (another hole to fill) and either demote Segura to AAA, or make him the utility guy.

3) Davis was replaced by Parra at the end of the year. Was this all injury, or do the Brewers like Parra in LF more than Davis? If so, he could go to an AL team in need of a good DH.

4) I guess it's possible they let Ramirez walk and spread the rumor that he's lazy, but that could backfire.

I can't imaging a pitcher will be blamed, when the problem was mainly on offense. Braun's a Brewer no matter what, so he's safe, Lucroy's the new face of the franchise, so he's safe. Gennett's an inexpensive fan favorite so he's safe.

It will be interesting to see who management blames, since the finger won't point to the top two guys in the organization.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived