Brewer Fanatic

Question about Mark A now that the Crew failed to make playoffs (Latest 10/10: Roenicke will return, Johnny Narron and Iorg gone)

brewmann04
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Putting together an 83 win-talent team, and then hoping you luck into 7 more wins is just an awful strategy, especially when your manager is Ron Roenicke.

I'm not going to write a book-long post about what I think the organizational strategy should be. I just know it shouldn't be putting together an 83 win team on paper, and hoping they can somehow squeeze out 7 - 9 more wins somewhere.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just wondering when will be the day for hanging the 150 days in first banner is.

No I think they will fire a coach or two but Ron and Doug will be back.

Reynolds and Overbay and Weeks will not be asked back.

I think they will try to explore a trade of either Yo or Loshe .

I think I went through the 5 stages of grief on this thread.

1) Denial - They aren't going to fire RR(B/C they were going to pull it together and make the playoffs.

2) Anger - Those jerks aren't going to make the playoffs they better fire RR.

3) Bargaining - If they don't fire RR I'm not going to renew my season tickets next year.

4) Depression - We're the flipping cubs 90 miles north

2) Anger again - We're not going to make they playoffs and they aren't going to fire anyone(or at least anyone important. Does anyone think the season would have turned out any different had they not had a hitting coach at all, or even a different one?)

5) Acceptance, yeah we stink, it doesn't matter what we do, we're going to stink again next year too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Putting together an 83 win-talent team, and then hoping you luck into 7 more wins is just an awful strategy, especially when your manager is Ron Roenicke.

I'm not going to write a book-long post about what I think the organizational strategy should be. I just know it shouldn't be putting together an 83 win team on paper, and hoping they can somehow squeeze out 7 - 9 more wins somewhere.

This is exactly how we have operated the last few years. We put together a .500 team and hope we avoid injuries and bad seasons, a player or two breakout, etc. It's a bad approach since luck tends balance out over 162 games.

This is exactly how we have operated the last few years. We put together a .500 team and hope we avoid injuries and bad seasons, a player or two breakout, etc. It's a bad approach since luck tends balance out over 162 games.

That's the sad thing, the breaks didn't even out this year. We got almost every break this year(scoring 3 runs on wild pitches, 2 runs on a strikeout, etc) and we still didn't make the playoffs. If you aren't going to do it this year, it's never going to happen.

More or less the same group of coaches for the last four years, and more or less the same players or same type of players the last 8ish has gotten 2 playoff appearances. And one of those was because of a mythical beast known as CC and an almost Brewer-like collapse by the Mets. In the context of the history of the Brewers franchise that's not horrible, but considering the talent and expectations of some of those teams, that's kind of pathetic. I guess Mark needs to decide if he wants to stay the course going forward with a team that will be around .500 and might luck it's way into the playoffs or try something new. I would hope the he realizes while these past years have been kind of fun it would be more fun to actually put together a really great team. Whether to him that means tearing down and starting over or opening the pocket book and buying talent, I don't know. But I really hope he does one of those two things.

That's the sad thing, the breaks didn't even out this year. We got almost every break this year(scoring 3 runs on wild pitches, 2 runs on a strikeout, etc) and we still didn't make the playoffs. If you aren't going to do it this year, it's never going to happen.

Not only that, but our biggest rivals suffered big injuries to major players, and we still couldn't take advantage.

Between the first half struggles of the Pirates, and the big injuries to the Cardinals, the division was handed to us on a silver platter this year. We just refused to take it.

1) Denial - They aren't going to fire RR(B/C they were going to pull it together and make the playoffs.

3) Bargaining - If they don't fire RR I'm not going to renew my season tickets next year.

2) Anger again - We're not going to make they playoffs and they aren't going to fire anyone(or at least anyone important. Does anyone think the season would have turned out any different had they not had a hitting coach at all, or even a different one?)

5) Acceptance, yeah we stink, it doesn't matter what we do, we're going to stink again next year too.

http://www.losanjealous.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/adam_morrison.jpg

I went through this around the time I learned that instead of trading Fielder and Hart, they were going to trade for Greinke and Marcum and extend Hart. At that point, I figured we'd better win it all this year and then blow things up, or else it was going to be a rough future. I've been stuck in the hazy realm of acceptance since then.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I just hope come January 1st everyone here is in a much better mood. There is no way DM and MA stand pat this year; they will rationalize that we were so close and it will just take a couple of pieces to make us a true contender. I am putting a 95% chance on both RR and DM being back. DM always overcompensates for weaknesses so it should be a stone cold lock that he brings in one or two good offensive weapons.

The playoffs can't get done soon enough now; time for the Winter Meetings in December!!!

You are forgetting first and foremost this is a business. Having an 83 win team that in theory could squeak out a few extra wins, resulted in them having the 4th highest attendance in the NL. From purely a business perspective, this was a successful season because they pretty much maxed out revenues. Because the Brewers depend for a much larger percentage of their revenue from ticket sales than large market teams, I think they'll continue to try and field a team that will keep fan interest for most of the season.

On the field the difference between success and failure was the failure to land Abreu. Still again from a business perspective, how much more revenue could they have generated with Abreu? Some for sure, but enough to offset the cost?

Still again from a business perspective, how much more revenue could they have generated with Abreu? Some for sure, but enough to offset the cost?

If they landed Abreau, they just wouldn't have signed Garza.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

http://www.losanjealous.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/adam_morrison.jpg

This wins the thread. Thank you.

Mark A really sounds upset at the players. He's made emphasis on that.

With the way these quotes are worded, I have to wonder if there's something behind the scenes we don't know about... Like some bad locker room chemistry or a couple guys with bad attitudes, etc.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Are the Brewers truly a more talented team than the Pirates or Cardinals or even the Reds?

If so, then go ahead and blame the players. I personally would blame the manager just as much or more than any of the players since he's the guy filling out the lineup card and insisting on putting in players in the lineup who are badly slumping (for example, Braun, Reynolds, and Segura).

However, if they are not more talented than the Pirates or Cardinals or even the Reds, then Attanasio needs to look at himself and/or Melvin for the construction of the team.

All said, nobody ever gives credit to the opponent(s) for simply being better much. Perhaps, the Cardinals and Pirates are simply better, period.

Archived