Brewer Fanatic

Question about Mark A now that the Crew failed to make playoffs (Latest 10/10: Roenicke will return, Johnny Narron and Iorg gone)

brewmann04
  • Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The whole "quiet confidence" thing coming out of spring training wasn't a ruse; there was legitimate belief that they had something this year. Not sure MA will buy into that again so easily if little changes. Just think he's too smart a guy to delude himself into thinking the team is over the hump if he lets Melvin overpay for one aging average free agent and again think he struck gold with a couple of non-roster invitees that no one else wanted.

I'm fairly confident I can give you a spoiler alert on the aftermath of this season.

Mark A. will make no major personnel coaches. Narron might be the sacrificial lamb, if there is one. Melvin and Roenicke will both return. Will send an email out to fans of milwaukeebrewers.com, telling us he is disappointed but he is also gosh darn proud he is of the things they accomplished this season, such as being in 1st place most of the season, to improving greatly on last year's record, etc. etc. He will tell us that they think they have proven that they have the pieces to get it done next season.

Next season's team will be more or less a carbon copy of this one. They probably sign a bullpen arm and return Aramis and Yo. It's possible he'll go out and sign or trade for a big name 1st baseman and try to use this as the platform to get us motivated for 2015.

When was the last public comment Attanasio had about the way the team has played? Anything somewhat recently?

I was just about to post the exact same thing. I haven't heard a peep from Attanasio since before the losing streak began at the end of August. Not one word.

He used to be a regular in the TV booth (well, maybe once every 2 weeks or so) but he has been a complete no-show for going on 4 weeks now.

I wonder how ticked off he is.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Seems to me that what we heard during the winter from Doug Melvin was that he really liked the team and if everyone stayed healthy they could contend. He said they just had to fix the 1B spot and add some bullpen arms and other than that they couldn't think of any other position that needed improvement

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/doug-melvin-expected-a-quiet-off-season-for-brewers-b99180877z1-239778811.html

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I am not sure how changing coaches changes the players. You are not going to change Braun, Gomez, Ramirez, Davis, Lucroy, or Gennett.

I don't agree with that. If that was true, you really don't need coaches or a manager at all. GOOD coaches find a way to get through to a player. I'll agree no coach can change every player, but I would hope a good coach could help some of them.

With that said, I do agree it's more on the players themselves than anything else. It's why I wanted to trade Braun before this season. Gomez too if the price is right. I'm sick of watching almost our entire line-up swing at fastballs at their eyebrows and sliders a foot off the plate. We caught lightning in a bottle with Gomez, but there's just no way he could maintain the OBP/OPS he's had for about a year with his approach to hitting.

Gomez hit .284 in his breakout season last year and is hitting .284 this year.

Last year his OBP was .338 and this year he improved it to .354, easily second best on the team among regular players.

His SLG is down slightly, but it's down across baseball. He's also hitting .331 with RISP so far this year.

No question that Gomez can be frustrating to watch at the plate sometimes, but he's proven that last year wasn't a fluke. For all of his flaws, if more guys in the lineup were as productive as Carlos, the Brewers wouldn't be sitting out of the playoffs.

When was the last public comment Attanasio had about the way the team has played? Anything somewhat recently?

What's he supposed to come out and say?

Frankly, I don't want to be one of those teams whose owner is always making media appearances, making it all about himself.

What's he supposed to come out and say?

Frankly, I don't want to be one of those teams whose owner is always making media appearances, making it all about himself.

Yeah, there's not much he can say or do at this point. Knowing what we know about Mark Attanasio, I'm guessing this last 30 days has been a huge gut punch to him. The team was getting ready for what looked like a decent post season run, and instead he's probably now facing calls for a rebuild, managerial firing, etc. It's a shame because it's not like he hasn't let the team spend money to try and win.

It will be three years since the team made the playoffs. I hope Mr. Attanasio takes a long and hard look at this team, and realizes it's time to do a serious rebuild. The key players aren't getting younger and meanwhile, the rest of the division looks to have a bright future around the corner.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd feel better about Mark A doing something if I didn't think he was part of the problem with these constant FA pitching acquisitions. He's been the catalyst for much of what Melvin has done lately, I get the feeling Melvin is becoming more of a puppet.

Meaningful change? Hire a different GM who's a good mix of the old and new schools, then get the hell out of the way and let him run the franchise.

Short of that, nothing is going to change, we've been on the same up and down cycle for a long time now.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I think the A's and Brewers' collapses are a little different. The A's still have the wildcard lead and our division winner won't have won 100 games.

For the Brewers to maintain the division lead nearly the entire season, let's be honest after going 20-7 we have gone 60-69, for St. Louis and Pittsburgh to take so long to catch us, no team wanted the division.

For the Brewers not to take advantage of a blazing start and lackluster competition in the division, people definitely deserve to get fired. These are the windows for small market franchises that Melvin likes to talk about. May have missed one.

Roenicke and Melvin Stay, possibly Narron is shown the door with a couple other coaches, Washington declines the option on Laroche, we sign him to fit well in Miller Park, that will be our off season

I assume Washington has money to pay LaRoche, so unless they have someone banging the door in AAA, I don't really see why they wouldn't retain him for the net cost of $13M. They have eyes and can see what kind of crap is playing out there.

Roenicke and Melvin Stay, possibly Narron is shown the door with a couple other coaches, Washington declines the option on Laroche, we sign him to fit well in Miller Park, that will be our off season

I assume Washington has money to pay LaRoche, so unless they have someone banging the door in AAA, I don't really see why they wouldn't retain him for the net cost of $13M. They have eyes and can see what kind of crap is playing out there.

Zimmerman is moving to first base.

Zimmerman is moving to first base.

I was wondering if Werth would be a possibility at 1B, forgot about Zimmerman.

The state of the Brewer franchise is clearly in the right thumb of it's would be star. If he's the player he was from 07-12, this is a solid team capable of contending with a few tweaks. If he continues to be the guy he's been the last two years there is little hope. I don't see the Cardinals slipping and the Pirates always looked to me like a team that would peak in 2015. If the Cubs bring in Lester, and another arm, they could well contend a bit ahead of schedule.

I just want them to show some sort of long term plan or at least act like they have one. The Brewers have been plugging holes almost every single year instead of building up good talent. Unfortunately I think that is directed by the ownership group.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I hope we don't have to wait to long to see moves being made now that we are offically elimated

Not officially eliminated until the Giants win or the Brewers lose one more.

Giants crawling back for a 1 run deficit on a Bumgardner 2 run shot

Formerly AirShuttle6104

sorry not expecting wholesale changes but something has to happen.

Agree, with "something" being the key word. If it's rolling a couple heads, making a couple legit impact moves, or declining expensive options/trading cost and making it a point to not have the 29/30 rated farm, those are all somethings. Continuing a predictable pattern of signing an average free agent to pretend an investment is being made and bringing in a score of gritty veterans as non-roster invitees is not making something happen.

Archived