Brewer Fanatic

Question about Mark A now that the Crew failed to make playoffs (Latest 10/10: Roenicke will return, Johnny Narron and Iorg gone)

brewmann04
I am not sure they can officially announce anything right now. I don't think he will be fired but I thought there was a news embargo for the post season.

The Astros hired AJ Hinch and the Dbacks hired Dave Stewart during the post season. And the Rockies just announced the resignation of their GM and immediately named his replacement.

I'm sorry to say but Ron will be back.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It would be Funny if Yost win it all though

Matt Williams out-Yosted Yost yesterday.

A lefty against Buster Posey? That was just insane.

Here's a great rundown:

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/matt-williams-nationals-manager-nlds-game4-bullpen-100814

It's not just one thing - it's an entire series of mind boggling moves.

Yost would be proud.

Even if Ron is back, why are all of you upset...Its pretty simple, if we dont make the postseason next year, RR and Doug would be gone, and alot of you want Melvin gone, so couldn't you put up with one more year??? I personally think Mark wants a change, Doug wants RR and Mark is sneakin around interviewing potential candidates

RR has a year left on his contract. The Brewers don't need to actually come out and say they aren't firing him. It would also be strange to have a GM hire a new manager the year he is retiring (as rumored).

I really don't see them laying blame on Gomez. He's too well liked by the fans and didn't slump in the eyes of Average Joe.

Laying blame on Segura would be a PR disaster. "He kept thinking about his dead son instead of the team so we're getting rid of him."

Do they blame the longest tenured Brewer in Weeks? He was at the short end of a platoon so he didn't effect many games. And if he had a problem with MKE, why did management keep him around for this long?

Can't blame minor league roster invites at First. Can't blame team MVP Catcher. Can't blame a Right Field MVP battling an injury.

That only leaves Davis and Ramirez. Or the possibility is that all of this was a bag of PR wind and a sacrificial lamb(s) is found in the coaching ranks.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

My guess is that the plan is to make some coaches the sacrificial lambs here and leave the rest up to Roenicke. I'd be willing to bet that whichever coach he's closest with is gone for sure. Some guys step down over stuff like that, but Roenicke doesn't seem to be that type. At any rate, both he and Melvin are likely entering a lame duck season unless they can somehow get this team to the playoffs.

RR has a year left on his contract. The Brewers don't need to actually come out and say they aren't firing him.

Normally, no they wouldn't. But when the Owner males a statement that the entire coaching staff including RR are being evaluated at some point you need to announce the conclusion. So he can't just say nothing, if RR is back he'll need to say so in some way.

Normally, no they wouldn't. But when the Owner males a statement that the entire coaching staff including RR are being evaluated at some point you need to announce the conclusion. So he can't just say nothing, if RR is back he'll need to say so in some way.

I guess we'll find out in January if he's at the On Deck event or not.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

RR has a year left on his contract. The Brewers don't need to actually come out and say they aren't firing him.

I politely disagree. EVERY YEAR, Mark A. makes an annoucement that the entire process will be evaluated. Players, coaches, front office, concessions, janitors. RR and his entire staff get evaluated every year. The only annoucement that will happen is a non-announcement (RR not getting an extension).

Unfortunately I suspect that will last until June, when the Brewers play over their heads again and he gets a mid-season extension to end his lame-duck status.

How I think this works depends largely on if Melvin is grooming a successor to be GM and if Mark A. is on board with hiring him.

I'm assuming Melvin plans on retiring in the next few years - if there isn't an internal successor in the Brewer organization or the plan isn't something Mark A's comfortable with, my guess is that Roenicke sticks around to start next season and if things don't go well Mark A. fires the whole bunch and then hires a new GM who can build the organization with his/her people. If there is a succesor that Mark A. wants to become the next GM, I think Roenicke has a better shot of getting replaced with a new manager who knows who his boss will be when Melvin's done.

My gut tells me aside from some meaningless coaching staff changes, Roenicke and Melvin will still be manager and GM heading into 2015, but barring a playoff berth next year neither will be with the team for 2016 and the Brewers will be in full rebuild/youth movement mode with a new front office. I think any successor plan got scrambled in Mark A's eyes with the crappy end to this season and with the passing of Bruce Seid.

Managers are almost never on one-year deals. When they get to their final year, teams either fire them or extend them so they're not "lame duck" managers in the eyes of their players. This was discussed a lot when LaRussa went against the grain every year and annually signed a one-year contract. I've always thought this was goofy, but apparently it's just the way it is.

Therefore, it will be interesting to see how the Roenicke situation plays out if he is retained. History would say they either need to fire him or extend him to give him the "vote of confidence." If they do neither, then the writing is definitely on the wall that he's getting canned at some point next season unless the team makes the playoffs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I keep checking in a few times a day to see if they've fired Roenicke yet

I think you are wasting your time, I think he keeps his job one more year, only to get canned after the 2015 season. May as well start with a new guy now, no need to wait, we all know what RRR brings to the table...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm much more concerned about changes to the roster than whoever is managing the team next year because i just don't think baseball managers generally impact the win/loss record as much as in other sports, but even with that, sometimes teams can simply use a fresh voice in the dugout. So i can't see why Attanasio/Melvin would bring Roenicke back and my gut feeling is he gets canned. It's the easiest way to shake things up and appease fans wanting some sort of change, at least temporarily.

Then soon enough most of those fans will turn on that new manager and start ripping on any of his moves which backfire or moves those fans don't agree with. It was amusing a few different times this year reading a very active Cardinals forum. There would be one thread after another after another with posters totally bashing Matheny as either the worst manager in baseball right now, the worst Cardinals manager ever, and/or even the worst manager in the history of the game. Most posters replying would agree with the thread starter. Now all is good. Hilarious.

I'm kind of surprised but kind of not. I was starting to get the feeling the slow development of the announcement meant he'd be back. I guess I'm just surprised because I was sure Attanasio would want bigger changes.

The offseason hasn't begun. I'm sure there will be player moves made after the World Series is over and the 2014 season is in the books. I'm with Danzig that I wasn't too worried about what happened with the manager/coaches. I'm far more interested in player personnel moves.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived