Brewer Fanatic

Question about Mark A now that the Crew failed to make playoffs (Latest 10/10: Roenicke will return, Johnny Narron and Iorg gone)

brewmann04

I Know Mark A is a owner who is all in every season and was wondering what actions he takes if this team does not make the playoffs.

Will he look to do a complete change from top to Bottom GM thru Coaching Staff.

Will he Just Look to Fire The Manager and Staff.

Will he be willing to go all in again for the 2015 season either via FA or Trades.

Will he just look to remain the Status Quo.

Thanks in advance

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm one who's believed the Brewers payroll would rise and that they'd have a lot of money the last few years, but I don't see how they're going to be able to make a significant splash in free agency. They'd have to part ways with Aram, Yo, Weeks(obviously) and they'd have to go even beyond the 110 they're at this season most likely.

So no, I don't think they're aggressive in free agency. Perhaps spending on relievers.

Trades? Maybe a Gallardo or Lohse, but the players they have who are valued by other teams are players Melvin has said he won't trade, so I think we'll be relatively quiet on that front. The last thing I want to see if Coulter hitting 30 HR's with a .400 OBP somewhere else in 3-4 years(or Arcia, Taylor excelling).

I don't see Melvin getting canned and I really don't see RR being fired.

So I think he'll largely stick to the status quo. I could see 7 of the 8 regulars back, maybe even all 8 with Reynolds...though I hope they can do something better there.

The only difference to the rotation would be one of the two I suggested being traded and Nelson and Fiers in.

The BP is always impossible to predict, but Broxton's deal will look ugly if we don't make the playoffs. K-rod will likely be gone unless the market is down and he signs a 3/15 type deal...which I don't think would be wise, but I think the team would do it.

So....unfortunately I think we're going to see pretty much the same team next year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Status quo. And I don't accept the premise he goes "all in" every year. He wants a team that is competitive every year, within reason.

Ditto that. Do some even know what "all in" means? I've never seen the Brewers go "all in", as I understand "all in". Having lived in Florida for most of my adult life, I've seen the Marlins go "all in". Going "all in" to me means lots of 1yr contracts at prices more than value, acquiring lots of players via trade by trading away superstar prospects, etc. I've just never gotten the impression that the Brewers have ever been "all in". I agree that the Brewers build themselves to be just competitive enough every single year, without ever being so "all in" that they are an overwhelming favorite for the division, let alone the NL. It seems everything they do is aimed at being at the top of the 2nd tier, if that makes sense?

well i thought he did go a bit all in when he traded for CC and also went out and Got Grienke. But i think Mark A does make some changes if they don't make the Playoffs. I agree to a point don't want to see the Brewers trading their top Prospects cause that the way this team needs to be bulit.

He made good moves to acquire good players. An "all-in" approach to me means you lose significantly if it doesn't work out. "All-in" to me means do or die. Utter collapse if it fails. If CC or Greinke failed, it wouldnt have met those requirements, IMHO.

He made good moves to acquire good players. An "all-in" approach to me means you lose significantly if it doesn't work out. "All-in" to me means do or die. Utter collapse if it fails. If CC or Greinke failed, it wouldnt have met those requirements, IMHO.

When people talk about all in it is sacrificing a good part of talent in the future to make this year better.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Crew misses the playoffs (or, possibly, gets bounced in the Wild Card game), I could really see Attanasio deciding to start fresh and fire Melvin, Roenicke, and everyone. He wants to win badly and I don't think he would take a collapse like this lying down.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I mentioned this in the Broxton thread, but probably more appropriate here. I think the Broxton pick up was done in part to fill in the closer role next year, as (at least at the time of the trade) the plan is to go for it again next year. I think the future will be determined by two things:

1) If they make or miss the playoffs. If they make the playoffs, Attanasio will go for it in 2015 no matter what. If they miss the playoffs, he might re-think the group he has and at least consider "re-tooling" the roster.

2) Whether Ramirez comes back or opts for free agency. If he comes back, on paper we should have a team similar to this year's team. If he opts for free agency, we will have money to spend, but if we're trying to field a contender, we will need to find a 1B and 3B for sure, will probably need some bullpen help, and should probably look to upgrade SS while making Segura the utility guy/RH part of the 2B platoon. Even with some money to spend, I don't think we could adequately fill all those holes.

So, if we continue to falter and miss the playoffs, and Ramirez opts out of his contract and signs elsewhere, I think there is a possibility Attanasio quietly "punts" next year. I don't think he will agree to a massive rebuild, but I could see him agreeing to trade away some or all of Gallardo, Lohse and Broxton, who all have one year left on their contracts. It would be a complete change in his m.o., but a collapse at the MLB level coupled with one of his best players leaving could make the change possible.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think Mark A does anything crazy no matter if we make the playoffs or not. We held 1st place for over four months, and I don't think he's going to dismiss that, even with an epic collapse like we are in right now. That means Melvin and RRR will be back.

The starting rotation comes back intact, and outside of Estrada, they've been pretty solid. Nothing awesome, but solid. You can win with solid. The bullpen is mostly set with Broxton the closer next year. Nelson is likely a part of this pen if there are no injuries. Perhaps you add a player or two for depth, but nothing big.

Offensively, the team will try and bring back A-Ram, leaving a hole at 1B and potentially SS. That's the key. Everything else is set if you bring back A-Ram. I don't think Mark A will see this as insurmountable. I could see adding a couple of guys like Drew at SS and Cuddyer at 1B for modest salaries. Or perhaps one bigger salary (such as Adam LaRoche) along with a glove first SS for cheap to push Segura. Those are just a couple of ideas, but I think the team will see the roster as not being that far from contending - and move accordingly.

I think Mark A stays the course, makes some smaller moves, and aims for better depth and a more consistent team in 2015.

Community Moderator
Preseason projections were for about 83 wins or so...currently on pace for 83 wins. So assuming the freefall ends at some point, it's fair to say the 2014 team met expectations. If the losing streak came in April and the winning streak now, none of this would be an issue.

At some point the Brewers need to give their young pitchers a chance. Peralta, Fiers and Nelson all need to be in the rotation next season. I don't care if that means trading Lohse or Gallardo. I am sick of them pushing young starting pitchers into the bullpen or keeping them in Nashville when they don't need to be because they signed 30 year old pitchers to multiyear contracts. Not only could it hurt the development of the pitchers but it takes money away from other areas that badly need to be addressed. We desperately need an answer at first base. And we desperately need an upgrade on the bench, specifically in the infield.

Personally I hope they trade either Lohse or Gallardo either for a first basemen or to upgrade the bench. I'm past the point where I think they can get anything significant for either of them but maybe they could at least get some salary relief.

Preseason projections were for about 83 wins or so...currently on pace for 83 wins. So assuming the freefall ends at some point, it's fair to say the 2014 team met expectations. If the losing streak came in April and the winning streak now, none of this would be an issue.

I doubt the Brewers coaches, management or players will share this view.

This division was just laying there to be grabbed....Reds, Cards and Pirates all had huge injuries... and they still threw away the division and probably the playoffs with a lethal combination of bad pitching, horrible hitting and poor defense.

I doubt the Brewers coaches, management or players will share this view.

This division was just laying there to be grabbed....Reds, Cards and Pirates all had huge injuries... and they still threw away the division and probably the playoffs with a lethal combination of bad pitching, horrible hitting and poor defense.

I agree. You can't just shrug your shoulders about a stretch like this just because of pre-season expectations. Things change and evolve as the season goes on. They had the division in their grasp and they blew it. Just because they weren't the favorites to win the division in March doesn't make that okay.

The players might force Mark A's hand if they continue to completely tank the rest of the season. I think Roenicke is a good solid manager and that most of the fault here lies with Melvin. However, when players just give up on a season an owner is usually forced to make a managerial change
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived