Brewer Fanatic

New General Manager & Manager if Melvin & Roenicke get fired?

I could see Craig Counsell getting a shot at GM after 2015 if Melvin retires after his contract is up, but what if Mark A cleans house after this season?

Yankees Assistant GM Billy Eppler was strongly considered for the Padres GM spot but got passed over. Brian Cashman speaks highly of Eppler, he is 38 and the type of "young blood" the Brewers should consider bringing in.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/feinsand-yankees-assistant-gm-billy-eppler-cash-experience-article-1.1894881

Giants Assistant GM Bobby Evans is another guy I would love to see considered

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/sf/team/frontoffice_bios/evans_bobby.jsp

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not sure if Cubs Director of Pro Scouting Joe Bohringer is ready to jump into a GM role, but the Cubs have really built up some strong prospects in the few years since he joined the team in 2011
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Not sure if Cubs Director of Pro Scouting Joe Bohringer is ready to jump into a GM role, but the Cubs have really built up some strong prospects in the few years since he joined the team in 2011

That is quite an understatement. In Chicago he has had the benefit of being part of a clear cut rebuilding plan. Mark A wouldn't go for that. I don't know more about him than the Cubs prospect rankings, but it's really hard to argue with the results.

I don't think there is any chance Counsell gets a GM job this early on.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I can't imagine any scenario in which Melvin gets fired. Despite this recent slide even I have to admit the Brewers have probably overachieved this season. I think he really messed up the first base situation and I still don't like the Garza signing but for the most part he's done a solid job.

As much as I really, really hate to say this because there is no good way of saying it, the Brewers have an opportunity now to hire a new scouting director that can hopefully do better with the draft. Recent drafts have seemed to improved but Seid seemed to have little luck with later round draft picks and only recently did it seem like he started actually focusing on ceiling as opposed to drafting the more "sure thing" type. The farm system still isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be, although I do think some prospects, particularly Coulter and Arcia, are extremely overlooked by national pundits.

I think Dusty Baker is available...

What about Ron Washington?

I'm waiting for Kirk Gibson to become available.

can we un-retire LaRussa?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

There's a better chance of Counsell managing than being GM. He's only worked in the front office for what, not even two years yet?

I know I read somewhere that Counsell has gotten consideration elsewhere for a GM post and was highly thought of already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an opportunity elsewhere if not here in the next couple years.

On a side note, the Cubs certainly have some nice prospects and have drafted extremely well of late. Assuming they start moving up the standings, let's see if they're able to continue their momentum on the draft front picking closer to the bottom of the 1st round as opposed to the very top.

There's a better chance of Counsell managing than being GM. He's only worked in the front office for what, not even two years yet?

I know I read somewhere that Counsell has gotten consideration elsewhere for a GM post and was highly thought of already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an opportunity elsewhere if not here in the next couple years.

On a side note, the Cubs certainly have some nice prospects and have drafted extremely well of late. Assuming they start moving up the standings, let's see if they're able to continue their momentum on the draft front picking closer to the bottom of the 1st round as opposed to the very top.

They've stockpiled enough young talent and draft high again in 2015 that it won't matter for some time if there draft becomes less productive as they are winning every year.

I can't imagine any scenario in which Melvin gets fired. Despite this recent slide even I have to admit the Brewers have probably overachieved this season. I think he really messed up the first base situation and I still don't like the Garza signing but for the most part he's done a solid job.

As much as I really, really hate to say this because there is no good way of saying it, the Brewers have an opportunity now to hire a new scouting director that can hopefully do better with the draft. Recent drafts have seemed to improved but Seid seemed to have little luck with later round draft picks and only recently did it seem like he started actually focusing on ceiling as opposed to drafting the more "sure thing" type. The farm system still isn't anywhere close to where it needs to be, although I do think some prospects, particularly Coulter and Arcia, are extremely overlooked by national pundits.

I would argue that Seid had more success with later round picks than most GM's. Later round picks almost never have an impact while we've had guys like Khris Davis, Gennett, Fiers and others succeed and play important roles.

I also disagree with the narrative that he bypassed high ceiling type players. History seems to have been re-written, and it comes from the Jungman/Bradley draft, both of whom were believed to have very high ceilings coming out of the draft. Bradley perhaps even more so given his performance in the Cape league the year before, and at one point was considered a top 5 pick.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived