Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-03 Brewers (Garza) at Cubs (Hendricks), 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-2]

TooLiveBrew
Why in the world are BA and Rock so happy to be getting back to Miller Park? They seem to think our only problem is playing on the road, and that when they get home, things will just magically get fixed.

They know the Brewers are losing viewership at the rate of thousands per minute, they are trying to put a positive spin on things

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I secretly hope the attendance at these upcoming games is poor if only to send a message loud and clear. :tongue

A fan campaign for the return of the $10 shame vouchers. Just need a high priced player to get suspended to fund it.

http://mlblogsbrewers.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/mb-13-10-voucher-social-graphic.jpg?w=300&h=300

Both RR and Melvin have contracts through 2015....don't see MA dumping either.

It happens around MLB all the time though. It's generally just a given that a manager or GM will have an extra year added on no matter what if they are not getting fired at the conclusion of the previous season. I don't think MA will hesitate to can them both if we end up with a losing record.

It happens around MLB all the time though. It's generally just a given that a manager or GM will have an extra year added on no matter what if they are not getting fired at the conclusion of the previous season. I don't think MA will hesitate to can them both if we end up with a losing record.

And who replaces Melvin? Craig Counsell?

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Why would having a contract thru a certain date make any difference? If your team tanks spectacularly like this you can't accept the status quo.

Trading for Parra was a good solid move. They tried to trade for Morneau

Going into the season with Reynolds/Overbay at 1B was asinine.

Parra upgraded the bench, which matters in small samples in the post season, but how many regular season wins does a move like that really add? It's like adding Lopez for the stretch run which proved inconsequential in the long run. If Gomez isn't able to come back this season is the drop off from Gomez to Parra really going to matter more than the drop off from Gomez to Schafer would have?

Again I think the impact of these in season moves is grossly overstated. I'm not a huge DM guy but I'd rather he sat on his hands than make a bad trade for Morneau. 1B is incredibly thin all around baseball at the moment, that's just the way it is.

It is far better to build depth up front than to try and constantly trade for it by acquiring temporary solutions. At some point we have to start plugging holes and quit patching them, that's the only way to truly get over the hump.

Just because the team ran off to an unsustainable 20-7 start doesn't mean 2014 is a missed opportunity at a season of destiny. How many in season moves can a GM really make that are going to make a significant impact? Players performing like Sabathia did in 2008 post trade... that just doesn't happen very often and Sabathia hasn't been that hot as a pitcher since. That situation was truly lightening in a bottle, the Mets even collapsed for us to complete the story book ending, and if that has become the bar for mid season acquisition for many posters than the bar has been set unattainably high.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

And who replaces Melvin? Craig Counsell?

I dont' know if Counsell is ready for this job but it might not be the worst thing to go outside of the organization and look elsewhere.

1B is incredibly thin all around baseball at the moment, that's just the way it is.

It is, you're right. But Melvin should have pretty much known that Prince was leaving, and we were going to need another first baseman. Now, nobody could have known that Mat Gamel would blow out his knee--twice--but Gamel shouldn't have been the top first baseman in the organization entering the 2012 season. Melvin should have had a capable, if not spectacular, first baseman to take over for Prince. This is 2014 now, and he still hasn't found anything but stopgaps. That's three years he's had. He was able to get Zack Greinke, and CC Sabathia, even if they ended up being just rentals. But he couldn't find anybody for first base? Unlike a starting pitcher, who goes every 4th or 5th day, a first baseman is out there day in, day out. A first baseman is one of the most important positions in a lineup. He's supposed to be a big time run producer. Yet the total production from our first basemen the last three seasons has been near or a the very bottom of baseball. Hard to win when you are getting next to nothing offensively from first base.

When I saw that Lyle Overbay and Mark Reynolds were the two candidates for first base in 2014, I literally laughed.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

1B is incredibly thin all around baseball at the moment, that's just the way it is.

It is, you're right. But Melvin should have pretty much known that Prince was leaving, and we were going to need another first baseman. Now, nobody could have known that Mat Gamel would blow out his knee--twice--but Gamel shouldn't have been the top first baseman in the organization entering the 2012 season. Melvin should have had a capable, if not spectacular, first baseman to take over for Prince. This is 2014 now, and he still hasn't found anything but stopgaps. That's three years he's had. He was able to get Zack Greinke, and CC Sabathia, even if they ended up being just rentals. But he couldn't find anybody for first base? Unlike a starting pitcher, who goes every 4th or 5th day, a first baseman is out there day in, day out. A first baseman is one of the most important positions in a lineup. He's supposed to be a big time run producer. Yet the total production from our first basemen the last three seasons has been near or a the very bottom of baseball. Hard to win when you are getting next to nothing offensively from first base.

When I saw that Lyle Overbay and Mark Reynolds were the two candidates for first base in 2014, I literally laughed.

Clearly you're forgetting Corey Hart in your summation, but it was a good summary nonetheless.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

with how pathetic they have been playing they deserve failure and humiliation. bunch of incompetent arrogant losers. lousy 3rd rate organization. the division was there for the taking. the cardinals literally said ''here take it, we don't want it''. can't believe this. swept by the garbage cubs? seriously???

RRR and his joke of a coaching staff shouldn't be allowed back on the plane. I'd tell him to walk back to Milwaukee just so I could fire hi[m].

i'm tired of seeing these guys swing at every pitch they see. this has to be most impatient team in baseball. want to beat the brewers? throw it low and away. they'll all swing and miss like clowns. no patience, low baseball IQ, poor managerial decisions, too much bunting, just terrible. they've wasted a good pitching year.

Archived