Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-03 Brewers (Garza) at Cubs (Hendricks), 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-2]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 3 | 7:05 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (73-65) | Cubs (63-76)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cubs.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/LAyGsoI.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/m8shgEq.jpgg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Matt Garza[/pitcher][h2]7-7, 3.58 ERA, 1.13 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cubs | Game Log[/h3][h3]The right-hander returns for his first start since Aug. 3, when he strained a left rib-cage muscle in a start at St. Louis. Garza last pitched in a three-inning simulated game, so his pitch count will be limited.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Kyle Hendricks[/pitcher][h2]5-1, 1.91 ERA, 1.01 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Hendricks finished August 4-0 with a 1.69 ERA in six starts. This will be his second outing vs. the Brewers, who he held to six hits over 7 1/3 scoreless innings on Aug. 12. In his last start, he held the Cardinals to two runs over six innings.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 2B Scooter Gennett
  2. RF Gerardo Parra
  3. C Jonathan Lucroy
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. LF Khris Davis
  6. 1B Matt Clark
  7. CF Logan Schafer
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Matt Garza

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. LF Chris Coghlan
  2. SS Javier Báez
  3. 3B Luis Valbuena
  4. RF Jorge Soler
  5. C Welington Castillo
  6. CF Arismendy Alcántara
  7. 2B Logan Watkins
  8. 1B Chris Valaika
  9. RHP Kyle Hendricks

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Struggling Crew hopes Garza can shut down Cubs

Hendricks looks to close out sweep, continue strong rookie year

By Joe Morgan / MLB.com | 9/3/2014 12:38 AM ET

The Brewers spent 149 days in first place this season, grabbing hold of the top spot in the National League Central on April 5 and holding onto their perch atop the division until Aug. 31. Nine losses in 11 games and seven straight defeats will do that to you.

The outlook got even worse on Tuesday evening when Milwaukee learned that a sprained left wrist could sideline All-Star Carlos Gomez for multiple weeks. The outfielder will not resume physical activity until at least Sunday.

"It's never good to lose a good player, a spark plug leadoff guy that can do some damage in the leadoff spot. So it's bad timing," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "I'm happy it's not something worse. You're not talking about surgery, so I'm glad about that."

Trailing the Cardinals by two games in the NL Central, the Brewers hope they can rely on a rejuvenated Matt Garza, who owns a 2.13 ERA in his past six starts.

"I'm fine -- healthy, strong and just glad to be able to pitch in again," Garza said.

Garza will face former teammates as he pitches opposite Cubs right-hander Kyle Hendricks, who has been stellar for Chicago in a limited capacity. Hendricks is 5-1 with a 1.91 ERA in nine starts this season.

Wednesday will mark Garza's 30th career start at Wrigley Field, his most at any NL ballpark. Perhaps the familiarity will only help him improve his 2.74 career ERA when surrounded by brick and ivy.

"You know, it could [help]," Garza said. "I don't really look too much into it. I know the guys on the other side are going to try to hit the ball as hard as I can, just like I'm going to try my best to get them out. That's kind of the way it goes anywhere you pitch."

Cubs: Baez hoping to halt slump

• There's no denying Javier Baez has had some impressive moments since joining Chicago on Aug. 5, but the 21-year-old has been scuffling at the plate as of late. He has hit .095 (4-for-42) with two extra-base hits, one walk and 17 strikeouts since Aug. 24 as the Cubs have gone 6-4 despite his batting woes.

Brewers: Lucroy nearing record for two-baggers

Thirty-nine of Jonathan Lucroy's Major League-leading 46 doubles this year have come in games when he was playing catcher, placing him only six away from tying Ivan Rodriguez's record of 45 as a backstop set with the Rangers in 1996.

Lucroy is only four doubles away from doubling last season's total of 25 as his career-high 46 two-baggers already outnumber the 42 total he notched in each of the previous two seasons.

Worth noting

Both Rickie Weeks and Francisco Rodriguez are near career milestones as Weeks needs only two more hits to reach 1,000 while Rodriguez only needs one more save for his fifth season of 40 or more saves and his first since 2008.

Yovani Gallardo fanned four Cubs on Tuesday night to tie Ben Sheets for Milwaukee's all-time franchise strikeouts record of 1,206.

• Despite hitting only a combined .221 (115-for-521), Cubs third basemen share the Major League lead with the Athletics for most home runs from the hot corner this season at 26.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

today was my last day at my current job, may that bring good fortunes to the brewers 3 states away

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

My Stupid Quote of the Day calendar for today seems very appropriate:

"The worst is over without a doubt. We have hit bottom and are on the upswing."

-Secretary of agriculture James Davis in September 1930 (The Great Depression, of course, had barely begun.)

I love that Clark is starting

Me too. I was sick of people here telling me they'd never sit a vet to play Clark or Rogers in September. RR wants production, and he knows he not going to suddenly find it in the washed up has beens he was forced to use the first 5 months of the season. I might have good with Rogers over Clark, but I'll take either over Lark Roverbay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Me too. I was sick of people here telling me they'd never sit a vet to play Clark or Rogers in September. RR wants production, and he knows he not going to suddenly find it in the washed up has beens he was forced to use the first 5 months of the season. I might have good with Rogers over Clark, but I'll take either over Lark Roverbay.

So Roenicke did it one time and that means he knows what he's doing? LOL, we'll see. Sorry but that hit and run last night put me over the top, the guy is clueless under pressure.

So Roenicke did it one time and that means he knows what he's doing? LOL, we'll see. Sorry but that hit and run last night put me over the top, the guy is clueless under pressure.

Mark Kotsay in the NLCS anyone?

Formerly AirShuttle6104

AZ - don't remind me. :)

Superfly - I don't think anyone is advocating, hey see, see RRR knows what he is doing. I agree with you, the hit and run yesterday drove me nuts. Still gets me heated thinking about it. But at least he is doing 1 thing right for today. I really don't think you could find any arm chair manager on this board who thinks Reynolds should start over Clark or Rogers. (So at least he pulled the trigger and put him in the lineup.) He may have 3 errors and 3 strikeouts today but at least he isn't just sticking with the status quo.

This is a very un-Ron-like move. He's more of a start the hot bat guy (Rogers who's 1-1 vs Clark who is 0-1).

Despite hitting only a combined .221 (115-for-521), Cubs third basemen share the Major League lead with the Athletics for most home runs from the hot corner this season at 26.

This is somewhat surprising to me, not with respect to the teams/players involved, but the number of HR from what people traditionally consider a power position.

I love that a certain someone won't be infecting the in game threads anymore.

Win one for Bruce, Brewers!

What did I miss?

Bruce Seid passed away yesterday but I'm not sure who the certain someone is who left the board or in-game-thread.

While the playing time decisions always seem up for debate, Roenicke has certainly shown a willingness to go with a guy if he does start hitting when given the opportunity, so here's to Clark hitting like he's still in Nashville tonight. Channel some of that magic Khris Davis had last year.

Archived