Brewer Fanatic

RIP Bruce Seid

patrickgpe
Very sad news. I had the pleasure of interviewing Seid as part of a feature I did and he always was very open and honest with me, not to mention accommodating. He also was passionate about the work he and his staff did, and read this forum frequently. In fact he called me one day out of the blue after he read some comments here about how down the system's talent was. I believe it was around this time of year after the 2010 draft as he specifically brought up how good Jimmy Nelson, Tyler Thornburg, and at the time, Matt Miller were going to be. RIP Bruce.

I can understand why. While the picks in the first two rounds of 2009 didn't pan out, he still managed to get two starting position players (Kh. Davis, Gennett) and one starting pitcher (Fiers) out of that draft. That's a good draft. Nelson was arguably one of the 3-4 best picks of the 2nd round in 2010 and the same with Thornburg in the 3rd round. Jason Rogers is turning into a solid player and Yadiel Rivera still has a chance.

Truly sad. My sympathies go out to his family and friends.

My brother worked for the Timber Rattlers a few years ago. He met Seid one time and that he was just the nicest guy you'd ever meet. Said he took a good 15 minutes to spend with him and talk baseball and have a beer with him -- was just completely down to earth.

I'm really glad he got to see a lot of his work blossom this past year -- Davis and Gennett establishing themselves, Jeffress coming back and earning a real role, and especially Fiers coming back strong. There was more good than bad news this year on the player development front, and he had a final draft that pretty much everybody loved. My opinion of him improved over the past year, which makes it especially hard as a fan to lose him. But I imagine he must have felt very good about this past year, and that's great.

Archived