Brewer Fanatic

RIP Bruce Seid

patrickgpe

Milwaukee Brewers director of amateur scouting, Bruce Seid has passed away at 53 while visiting his family in Las Vegas, NV.

General Manager Doug Melvin has released this statement on behalf of the organization:

“We are stunned and devastated by the news of Bruce’s passing,” “He was a great friend to all of us, and no words can

describe the sense of loss we feel. There are only a few people who have been with the Brewers as long as Bruce, and he was a kind and highly-respected member of our organization. There are also very few who worked with the passion and dedication to the Brewers that Bruce did. A number of current players on our roster were given the opportunity to play Major League Baseball because of Bruce, and he was so proud of them. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Erika, and all of Bruce’s family.”

Wow this season just keeps getting worse, I thought Seid's last 3 drafts have been pretty strong. Way too young for this to happen, my thoughts are with his family.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Awful news. Unfortunate that most of us didn't hear about these relationships he had with his minor leaguers and his colleagues until this happened.

The man spent a good number of years working for the Brewers and judging by the reactions of a good number of people all over baseball he will be difficult to replace and deeply missed.

Wow, this is just terrible. :(

He was a really young guy, too. I don't recall reading that he had any real medical issues.

My heart goes out to his family. Hell, my heart goes out to the entire Brewer organization. He was a well liked, well respected man, and he had a great relationship with the players that he drafted.

A really bad week just got a whole lot worse. My God, what else could go wrong?

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of interviewing Seid as part of a feature I did and he always was very open and honest with me, not to mention accommodating. He also was passionate about the work he and his staff did, and read this forum frequently. In fact he called me one day out of the blue after he read some comments here about how down the system's talent was. I believe it was around this time of year after the 2010 draft as he specifically brought up how good Jimmy Nelson, Tyler Thornburg, and at the time, Matt Miller were going to be. RIP Bruce.

Really makes this losing streak seem insignificant.

He was also really underrated as a scouting director. Developed quite a few under the radar prospects into key contributors.

Here's hoping this draft class thrives even more as it'll keep people talking about him for years.

53 years old....that's just so devastating.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of interviewing Seid as part of a feature I did and he always was very open and honest with me, not to mention accommodating. He also was passionate about the work he and his staff did, and read this forum frequently. In fact he called me one day out of the blue after he read some comments here about how down the system's talent was. I believe it was around this time of year after the 2010 draft as he specifically brought up how good Jimmy Nelson, Tyler Thornburg, and at the time, Matt Miller were going to be. RIP Bruce.

I'm surprised by that to be honest, I'm glad I never attacked him personally, though he probably took my comments about the farm system personally knowing now how close he was to his draftees. Oddly it makes me feel worse, even though I've always just given my honest opinion about the players, system, and organization. I've never disliked the people, just the tact the organization has taken over the years, and I hope that came across to him in my posts.

Somehow that knowledge made this much more personal.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived