Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2014-15

homer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Starting a new thread for a new year.

Here's a link to the last couple of pages of the the old thread in case you want to continue talking Stone or Ellenson.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30671&start=580

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some recruiting magazine may say UW is one of the front runners for Stone but I guess I will still believe it when I see it. Stone is very likely to be a 1 or 2 year player and those types of players just don't go to Wisconsin. They go to UConn or Duke. Maybe Stone values academics a lot; who knows, but I will be very pleasantly surprised if he actually ends up at UW.

No doubt Stone will be at the Duke/UW game at the Kohl Center this year; maybe that game and that atmosphere ends up being a deciding factor either way?

No doubt Stone will be at the Duke/UW game at the Kohl Center this year; maybe that game and that atmosphere ends up being a deciding factor either way?

That is an interesting angle on the game. Not only is it a matchup of two teams in the top 5/10, a potential key game for tournament seeding, a possible Elite Eight/Final Four preview, etc, but it could also have an impact on whether UW lands its most talented recruit in a long time.

This UW team sure will be fun to watch and that Duke game should be fantastic. I will be curious to see who fills Brust's spot. Koenig should probably play the #1 which would push Jackson to the #2 in place of Brust. I like Jackson has a SG much more than a PG.

Well, I really think they only play 2 guards this year, and start Hayes.... which leaves Koenig coming off the bench (hopefully playing more minutes than last year). I think Dukan plays more, and Vitto Brown backs up both Hayes and Kaminsky.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Just a little plug for my Alma Mater George Washington University. I think we have a legit chance at being one of the best teams in the A-10 and *crosses fingers* make a return trip to the NCAAs. Not to mention, our starting PF will likely be MUHS alum John Kopriva.

Just a little plug for my Alma Mater George Washington University. I think we have a legit chance at being one of the best teams in the A-10 and *crosses fingers* make a return trip to the NCAAs. Not to mention, our starting PF will likely be MUHS alum John Kopriva.

POPS MENSAH-BONSU

that's all I have to add wrt GW. (one of my best friends went there around the time Pops was a bball sensation)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Marquette also got an athletic director today. Looks like a pretty solid hire. Former assistant AD at Notre Dame and current AD at Ball State.

Right now Marquette's class is ranked 11 in the nation, and if Ellenson signs it would be top 5 which is shocking considering the state of the program only 6 months ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Gabe Levin has decided to transfer from Marquette already. Seems very odd since he just transferred from Loyola Marymount. I am sure there is more to the story, either he wasn't a fan of Wojo's practice style, or he quickly figured out his playing time would be limited next season once he is eligible.

very strange

Big get for Marquette; Wojo certainly has started his recruiting off with a bang so far at Marquette. I am a UW first and foremost but I am very glad Marquette was able to keep a player like Henry in the state. They should be a dynamite team next year with Fischer, Wilson, and Ellenson among others. This year might be a struggle; but you can't really blame Wojo for the crappy roster Buzz left him with. They should still be OK I think. Hopefully Ellenson isn't a one and done player and sticks around for a couple years.

I am guessing Stone won't make a decision for a while yet. Really hoping he goes to UW; supposedly it is between UConn and UW.

Diamond Stone trimmed his list to 4 by taking out Duke. So it is down to UW, UConn, Maryland, or OK State. I just can't see him going to Maryland or OK State. That would just seem so random. UConn historically does pretty well with the big men and obviously they were right there in the Final 4 with UW last year. It looks like a pretty tough call.

Adding Diamond Stone to next year's UW team would probably instantly make that team a title contender again; even though they will be losing Kaminsky, Jackson, and Gasser. Stone, Koenigs, Hayes, and Dekker would still be a very strong top 4.

How are his grades? OK State is known as one of the easier D-1 schools to get into academically. UW lost football recruit Craig Evans from Sun Prairie because he couldn't get into UW but could get into Michigan State, the easiest school in the Big 10 to get into academically.

I always thought that he would be going to Duke or Wisconsin. I will be honest that I follow MU recruits much closer than UW. Any news on Malik Newman, I heard that they were a package deal. Has he been recruited by any of these schools. I did read that he was thought to be going to Kentucky, which may mean that the reports a few months back were just wrong.

UConn is recruiting Newman along with Stone; that's why they have been considered one of the favorites for a while. I am not sure what to make of that situation; ultimately I think both guys go where they feel the most comfortable. UConn has a great track record getting big men drafted into the NBA; but really with Stone's talent he should get drafted pretty high no matter where he plays his college ball. Its not like UW is a slouch program or anything.

• 3 weeks later...

So he will have is mind made up before the Duke/UW game. I still think it comes down to UConn and UW. If his friend Newman ends up going to UConn I think that might push him that way. I will remain optimistic that he goes to UW but really the decision is up to him and I won't get all bent out of shape if he goes somewhere else.

Badgers first game is a week from today; this is definitely the most I have ever been excited for a basketball season. It will be awfully tough for them to live up to expectations but they are almost certainly going to be very good. I wish I could get tickets tot he Duke/UW game. Two preseason all-American centers with Okafor vs. Kaminsky and two of the top 5 teams in the country. That should be a fantastic game and will be a great barometer for the team and Kaminsky specifically.

I honestly can say I am a little surprised Dekker has been named to all these preseason teams. He was still pretty raw last year; he must have had a hell of a summer at all of those NBA prospect camps he went to.

EDIT: I should try proofreading every once in a while

So he will have is mind made up before the Duke/UW game. I still think it comes down to UConn and UW. If his friend Newman ends up going to UConn I think that might push him that way. I will remain optimistic that he goes to UW but really the decision is up to him and I won't get all bent out of shape if he goes somewhere else.

Badgers first game is a week from today; this is definitely the most I have ever been exciting for a basketball season. It will be awfully tough from them to live up to expectations but they are almost certainly going to be very good. I wish I could get tickets tot he Duke/UW game. Two preseason all-American centers with Okafor vs. Kaminsky and top of the top 5 teams in the country. That should be a fantastic game and will be a great barometer for the team and Kaminsky specifically.

I honestly can say I am a little surprised Dekker has been named to all these preseason teams. He was still pretty raw last year; he must have had a hell of a summer at all of those NBA prospect camps he went to.

Dekker was the "star" player at LeBron's camp and performed extremely well at Durant's as well. I went to the game Wednesday night against Parkside and they looked good even without Dekker and Dukan. This is a deep and talented team. They can go 9-10 deep and play extremely well together. Hayes looks like he could have a monster season if teams attempt to focus on stopping Frank the Tank and Dekker. Koenig, Dukan, Showalter and Brown will be a strong group of high energy players off the bench. I think Happ should red-shirt since he will be at best the 5th big although he showed some flashes in the game, most notably going coast to coast showing his handles and dishing to Jackson for a easy basket. He reminds me of Jon Leuer.

Really looking forward to the start of this MU season. I don't get the negativity. Yes they did poorly last year, but most players were very good recruits. I'm curious which player will have the Wes Matthews-like breakout (aka, the guy that will thrive when under a new coach). I could see Juan, JuJuan, or STj fitting the bill

I am excited too Dhonks, the issue is that they have no size on this team. I am excited to see Duane Wilson finally make his MU debut. I look to Steve Taylor to have a big season as Buzz really misplayed him last season. I think they will be better than most are expecting, but to only have one player over 6'7" and he can't play for the first month of the season is going to make it tough to compete against most teams in the conference.

Archived