Brewer Fanatic

2014-09-01 Brewers (Nelson) at Cubs (Turner), 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-2; 6th straight L & slip out of 1st place in division]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]September 1 | 1:20 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (73-63) | Cubs (61-76)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/cubs.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/U3fk3mo.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/eSLvAaV.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]2-5, 4.10 ERA, 1.35 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Cubs | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson, optioned to Class A in a paper move that opened a spot for relief help, will "return" to make his first career start against the Cubs. He faced them twice in relief last year, working two scoreless innings each time.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jacob Turner[/pitcher][h2]4-8, 5.84 ERA, 1.63 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Turner threw 66 pitches over 3 2/3 innings in his first start for the Cubs on Wednesday in Cincinnati. The plan is for Chicago to get a look at the right-hander, acquired from the Marlins, in the final month and continue to stretch him out.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. Scooter Gennett 2B
  2. Jonathan Lucroy C
  3. Ryan Braun RF
  4. Aramis Ramírez 3B
  5. Khris Davis LF
  6. Gerardo Parra CF
  7. Mark Reynolds 1B
  8. Jean Segura SS
  9. Jimmy Nelson RHP

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. Chris Coghlan LF
  2. Javier Báez 2B
  3. Starlin Castro SS
  4. Luis Valbuena 3B
  5. Jorge Soler RF
  6. Welington Castillo C
  7. Arismendy Alcántara CF
  8. Chris Valaika 1B
  9. Jacob Turner RHP

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers hope to turn tide vs. upstart Cubs

Soler set for home debut as Chicago tries to knock Crew out of first

By Caitlin Swieca / MLB.com | 8/31/2014 8:15 PM ET

Having fallen back into a first-place tie with St. Louis thanks to a 1-5 start to their current road trip, the Brewers will look to end the trip on a positive note with a three-game set at Wrigley Field starting Monday.

Milwaukee, which has held at least a share of first place in the National League Central since April 5, will send Jimmy Nelson to the mound to try to snap a five-game losing streak. He's lasted fewer than six innings in two straight starts, both losses.

In his last start against San Diego, he fell victim to a four-run inning from the Padres. Two of the runs were unearned due to a Jean Segura error, but Nelson shouldered the blame afterwards.

"I have the ability to get out of the jam in that inning that kind of blew up on us," Nelson said. "If I execute a few pitches there, we're out of that jam with minimal damage. That's the job as a starter, minimize damage. I have to do a better job of that next time."

Though the Cubs are out of the division race and sit in last place, Brewers manager Ron Roenicke warned against overlooking the team.

"They always forget about the Cubs -- the Cubs are beating up on everybody," Roenicke said. "They're good. They're bringing up some talent that is fantastic, and they've still got some good starters there. With everybody playing so close together, it's hard to pull away and win a bunch of games in a row. Everything has to go right. It went right for us early, and hopefully it will go right here in a bit and we'll make a nice run."

The Cubs, who are coming off a weekend split with the Cardinals, have been generating more offense lately. Part of the reason for that is those new faces that Roenicke mentioned, namely Javier Baez and Jorge Soler.

Soler is 8-for-15 with three home runs in four games since being called up last week, and he'll make his Wrigley Field debut Monday. The outfielder said through a translator that he's "so excited" to play in front of the home crowd and attributed his fast start to a number of adjustments he made in the Minor Leagues this year.

"In the beginning, it was hard to make an adjustment and make the transition from playing in Cuba, coming to the States," Soler said. "Now I feel I'm making the adjustments, and I have confidence."

On the mound, the Cubs will get another look at Jacob Turner, who lasted only 3 2/3 innings and gave up three runs on seven hits in his first Cubs start last week against the Reds. The former Marlin had not started a game since Aug. 3.

"I would've liked to have gotten a little deeper in the game," said Turner, who was on a pitch limit. "That part is definitely frustrating. At the same time, you've got to build the pitch count up, too."

Cubs: Rizzo hopeful for Monday return

The Cubs hope first baseman Anthony Rizzo can return to the lineup Monday after missing five days because of tightness in his lower back.

Rizzo has not played since he was pulled from last Tuesday's game in Cincinnati when his back tightened up during a rain delay.

"He's still day to day," Cubs manager Rick Renteria said Sunday. "He came in [saturday] and wanted to play. We have to make sure we're prudent and playing this smart. We'll give him another day and when we get back, we'll see how he's doing."

Brewers: Broxton to join team at Wrigley

The Brewers will get some bullpen reinforcement Monday when new acquisition Jonathan Broxton joins the team in Chicago.

In acquiring Broxton from the Reds on Sunday for two players to be named, the Brewers filled a need for a tested right-hander to help set up Francisco Rodriguez, a role that has bounced between a number of different players since Rodriguez was installed as the closer on Opening Day.

Because Broxton was in the organization before the end of August, he will be eligible for the postseason roster should the Brewers get that far.

"I like the pieces we have in our bullpen but [in Broxton] we're talking about a guy that's a pretty special guy," Roenicke said. "He's got great stuff, he competes well, he's a good teammate and I think it puts another piece there where I can pitch guys exactly how I want to."

Worth noting

The Brewers announced over the weekend that Matt Garza will return to the rotation Wednesday for a start against his former team. Garza, who has been sidelined with a left oblique strain, has not pitched since Aug. 3.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They're still the Cubs, and Turner isn't very good. Hopefully Broxton joining the team gives these guys the kick in the pants they've needed. Here's to hoping that Nelson pitches halfway decently and the offense remembers that they can score more than a couple runs per game.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

They're still the Cubs, and Turner isn't very good. Hopefully Broxton joining the team gives these guys the kick in the pants they've needed. Here's to hoping that Nelson pitches halfway decently and the offense remembers that they can score more than a couple runs per game.

Broxton is a month late to this team. Parra is an OF when we really needed a 1B man and a reliever back in July. Yes, DM hasn't been taking a dump and lost track of time without doing anything productive, he's been sitting on the toilet taking a dump while reading the newspaper. Ha! You get the point - the moves that needed to be made weren't made when they needed to be made and we could pay a huge price for that.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

This team cannot afford anymore slumps. The Cards and Pirates are right here now and they are not going away. If they're not careful, we'll be on the outside looking in before we know it. Now or never...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

[sarcasm]Hopefully that trip to triple A lit a fire under nelson and helped him recapture his dominance.[/sarcasm]
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

FWI: Matheny benched Carpenter today for Jon Jay @ leadoff, and has Descalso playing 3B. Wong sits and PETE KOSMA is up from AAA to play 2B. I guess he thinks that Holliday can do it all.

Good luck fella's with this new look Cub team. I look for them to have a better September than us!

FWI: Matheny benched Carpenter today for Jon Jay @ leadoff, and has Descalso playing 3B. Wong sits and PETE KOSMA is up from AAA to play 2B. I guess he thinks that Holliday can do it all.

Good luck fella's with this new look Cub team. I look for them to have a better September than us!

Well, Wong got hurt yesterday.

At this rate, the fact that the Bucs and Cardinals can't both lose is pretty tough for the Brewers.

Scooter Gennett's career OPS vs. RHP is near .900; can't complain about him getting as many PA's as possible against righties.

Braun's about a fifteenth of a step from beating that one out. I've got to imagine he's a bit frustrated at this point as he struggles through injuries and a (for Braun) really disappointing season.

I predict either the Bucs or Cards will lose in their next 3 games.

That's a bold pick cotton.

I'll be sure to rub it in when it happens. Also agree with the Chicago fans not being able to judge fly balls situation.

Dbacks fans come in a close second

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Archived