Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Broxton from Reds

yfinn6
Ugh... Horrible move even without knowing the two PTBNL. Broxton doesn't strike anybody out anymore (huge red flag) and his peripherals are consistently mediocre. It's like we went out and signed Kintzler (bad pitcher with a shiny ERA) for $10M...

Figures they probably gave up some decent prospects to boot.

It's a horrible move before knowing exactly what we gave up and how much of his salary we'll be taking on?

For a seasoned late inning reliever who can still throw 94-95 and has an ERA under 2.00 despite playing in Cincy half the time.

I think that's a bit of a rush to judgement. Attanasio said they had put in waiver claims on 25 guys a couple weeks ago and that everyone was trying to add BP arms. We added a pretty good one. We desperately needed another right handed reliever. We have three good left handed relievers, but not one proven right handed reliever.

I do think Papelbon would have made more sense, but obviously there was some stumbling block to that trade.

If Cincinnati is eating his salary then yeah it's a totally different situation, but I haven't seen any suggestion that's the case. Broxton at $9M in 2015 plus a $2M mutual option is a terrible pick-up.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per cbssports:

"There's no immediate word on the Reds' possible return. Given the salary, though, it's likely this is mostly a salary dump and the players to be named won't be highly-touted prospects."

I hope they're accurate with this statement.

My thoughts also. I already am really leery of paying Broxton 9 million next year, so the thought of sending the Reds any prospect of decent to good quality would really bug me unless Broxton ends up being really good for us on a team that does win the Central this year.

I don't know if he was available, but i'd rather have gotten Benoit from SD than Broxton, with both having a similar contract.

If Cincinnati is eating his salary then yeah it's a totally different situation, but I haven't seen any suggestion that's the case. Broxton at $9M in 2015 plus a $2M mutual option is a terrible pick-up.

So you're willing to assume that Cincy isn't picking up any money because you have seen no suggestion that's the case despite the fact that all we've heard is we're getting Broxton, they get two PTBNL, yet you're also going to assume that the players we traded are good prospects as well?

As far as I'm concerned, a RH'ed reliever was an absolute must if we had any chance to win big games. With all our lefties we can let RR do his TLR imitation and play the R/L matchup to death.

So paying a guy 9 million next year when he was probably worth 6 really isn't the worst thing in the world to me if it helps them get to and do some damage in the playoffs.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

a month late........

For a team that's STILL in first place?

I don't know if he was available, but i'd rather have gotten Benoit from SD than Broxton, with both having a similar contract.

I would have as well, and Melvin was reportedly trying hard to acquire Benoit at the non-waiver deadline along with the Dodgers. But he's also out right now(DTD) with a shoulder injury...and I doubt he cleared waivers.

Ugh... Horrible move even without knowing the two PTBNL. Broxton doesn't strike anybody out anymore (huge red flag) and his peripherals are consistently mediocre. It's like we went out and signed Kintzler (bad pitcher with a shiny ERA) for $10M...

Figures they probably gave up some decent prospects to boot.

Wild guess, but if it cost decent prospects to pick him up then I'm guessing he wouldn't have made it through waivers unclaimed, when a team could have acquired him for nothing but his salary.

They are revocable waivers in August. Claiming him doesn't mean you will get the player. It just means nobody with a lower waiver priority may take that player, risking that you might get handed that player, his salary, and be forced to make room on the roster for him. The waiving team may pull him back and not give him away.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

They are revocable waivers in August. Claiming him doesn't mean you will get the player. It just means nobody with a lower waiver priority may take that player, risking that you might get handed that player, his salary, and be forced to make room on the roster for him. The waiving team may pull him back and not give him away.

Yes, but he made it through waivers. So LouisEly hit it on the head. If teams really wanted him, at least one would have claimed him. Nobody did. Likely due to his salary and history in LA.

So you're willing to assume that Cincy isn't picking up any money because you have seen no suggestion that's the case despite the fact that all we've heard is we're getting Broxton, they get two PTBNL, yet you're also going to assume that the players we traded are good prospects as well?

As far as I'm concerned, a RH'ed reliever was an absolute must if we had any chance to win big games. With all our lefties we can let RR do his TLR imitation and play the R/L matchup to death.

So paying a guy 9 million next year when he was probably worth 6 really isn't the worst thing in the world to me if it helps them get to and do some damage in the playoffs.

Broxton is worth $0M, he could very well be below replacement level the rest of this season and next season.

Let's put it this way: I don't know the details of the deal. If Cincinnati is eating almost all of his salary and got nobodies in return, it's a fine gamble. If Milwaukee is paying all or most of the rest of his contract (they almost surely are) and/or giving up anybody remotely resembling a prospect, it's a horrible desperation move.

Broxton is worth $0M, he could very well be below replacement level the rest of this season and next season.

Wow. He's worth absolutely nothing? He's worth 0 dollars? He of the 1.86 ERA?

Ok. He COULD be below replacement level the rest of the season. So could Peralta. But given the makeup of our pen, he looks like a pretty significant upgrade.

He also COULD play a huge role for us late in the year and help us solidify a playoff spot.

I'm just curious when this guy became a worse version of Jeff Suppan?

Yes, but he made it through waivers. So LouisEly hit it on the head. If teams really wanted him, at least one would have claimed him. Nobody did. Likely due to his salary and history in LA.

At least one team (Brewers) claimed him. The Brewers had a higher claim priority than any American league team.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I don't think the brewers gave up too much. This reminds me a little of the K-Rod deal (but we are taking on an additional season this time). We were worried about the player going back and it turned out to be no one. I think the Reds wanted to dump his salary so bad they traded him inside the division with a year left.

thats my feeling about the return. they currently have a payroll of $114 million, they've got $71 million already on the books next year in 12 players... with Latos, Simon and Heisey are all entering their 3rd year of Arbitration, Chapman his 2nd, and Cueto is a FA at the moment, and I cant imagine they'd let him walk as he's the ace of their rotation. They're going to be over that $100 million mark for the 3rd year in a row if they keep all those players

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

The Brewers needed a RH for the pen this year, and are probably going to lose K-Rod to free agency (and who knows the situation of Henderson and Thornburg), so they want a veteran presence at the back of the bullpen next year. The Reds need salary relief and the Brewers have Weeks, Estrada, K-Rod, Reynolds and Overbay falling off the books, potentially joined by Ramirez.

He'll eat up a chunk of salary next year, but it should help the team this season, and it should keep Melvin from having to find a closer this offseason along with a first baseman and possibly a 3B and SS. Assuming the prospects going back aren't special, I'm okay with the deal. If the Brewers sent good prospects, they probably got the short end of the deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

No comments on this gem? He's not that bad against lefties, but we have currently better guys at getting lefties out compared to Broxton over his career.

"It's a mentality thing, except for all of those stats that clearly say it's not a mentality thing."

"There's not any restrictions for me," Roenicke said. "I haven't really looked at the exact splits on [broxton], but I know that [whether] you're the eighth-inning guy or the closer, you don't care about those things."

Broxton over his career has been pretty good against LH hitters (not as good as others that we have) but Ron probably cost us several games by making Smith the "8th inning guy." He ended up being batting practice against RH hitters once they figured him out. I just don't get it. Like, it's 2014. It's pretty easy to prove it isn't just a mental thing as a "closer" or "8th inning guy." The term "closer experience" makes me want to throw my computer or TV out the window when I hear it.

Ariel pena was removed from the brewers afl team. Going to Cincinnati?

Could be more injury issues. I'd prefer the news to be that's he's been dealt though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I know he's supposed to be the "8th inning" guy, but why haven't we thrown him out there at some point to eat up an inning or two to acclimate himself? Instead throw Will Smith who has a dead arm out there some more. Just another stupid decision by a clueless staff.

No comments on this gem? He's not that bad against lefties, but we have currently better guys at getting lefties out compared to Broxton over his career.

"It's a mentality thing, except for all of those stats that clearly say it's not a mentality thing."

"There's not any restrictions for me," Roenicke said. "I haven't really looked at the exact splits on [broxton], but I know that [whether] you're the eighth-inning guy or the closer, you don't care about those things."

Broxton over his career has been pretty good against LH hitters (not as good as others that we have) but Ron probably cost us several games by making Smith the "8th inning guy." He ended up being batting practice against RH hitters once they figured him out. I just don't get it. Like, it's 2014. It's pretty easy to prove it isn't just a mental thing as a "closer" or "8th inning guy." The term "closer experience" makes me want to throw my computer or TV out the window when I hear it.

Who exactly should have been splitting the 8th inning for the Brewers? We've tried Kintzler, we had Thornburg and Henderson, Wooten. As of late we've used Jeffress, but we haven't had a good right hander in the pen other than K-rod since Thornburg went down. Jeffress is not someone I'm confident in.

Incidentally, Roenicke has also said he'll play the matchup's in the 8th inning with the lefties we have.

And why does the term "closer experience," make you so angry? There IS something to it. Guys who have been there before are able to calm down and not over pitch. I think sometimes we're just searching for reasons to bash RR.

I don't think the brewers gave up too much. This reminds me a little of the K-Rod deal (but we are taking on an additional season this time). We were worried about the player going back and it turned out to be no one. I think the Reds wanted to dump his salary so bad they traded him inside the division with a year left.

I think the Broxton trade will come down to if we make the playoffs this year. If we do and he helps us, obviously it's worth it. If we don't and we're spending 11 million on him for one year....it's probably going to sting a little bit. Especially if it means we can't bring back Aram for example.

Archived