Brewer Fanatic

Brewers acquire Broxton from Reds

yfinn6

The Reds have traded right-hander Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (

).

Broxton, 30, is in the second year of a three-year, $21MM contract with the Reds. He’s owed about $1.19MM of his $7MM salary this season before earning $9MM in 2015. His contract also contains a $9MM club option for 2016, which comes with a $1MM buyout, making the total remaining guarantee for Broxton about $11.19MM.

Taken from MLBtraderumors.com right on their front page.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a lot of cash for Broxton. Looking at his peripherals, he doesn't seem like the type of guy I want the Brewers throwing $9MM to, and his .221 BABIP and 87% strand rate this year are pretty ridiculous.

But, he's an upgrade they sorely need at this point. In the midst of a playoff race, marginal improvements are majorly valuable, and I'm obviously not footing the bill. Hopefully the salary means the 2 PTBNL are overage low minors type of guys.

Nice. Not concerned about the money next year because winning now helps increase next year's budget.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Nice. Not concerned about the money next year because winning now helps increase next year's budget.

my sentiments exactly. let's not worry about the money. broxton is having a great year and is a major addition to the bullpen. this means less work for guys like will smith, zach duke, and even k-rod. a fresh and healthy bullpen to go along with a great rotation puts the brewers in a good spot. garza and lohse are nice and rested. just need the bats now to stop being so lame.

Any word on whether Broxton is going to be in SF in time for today's game or if he is meeting the team in Chicago tomorrow?

@Haudricourt: Jonathan Broxton will join #Brewers Monday in Chicago. No need for player move because rosters can be expanded beyond 25 players.

Any word on whether Broxton is going to be in SF in time for today's game or if he is meeting the team in Chicago tomorrow?

@Haudricourt: Jonathan Broxton will join #Brewers Monday in Chicago. No need for player move because rosters can be expanded beyond 25 players.

Don't the Brewers have to make a move to allow him onto the post season roster?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Good question Baldwin .. Here how the playoff roster rule reads:

To be eligible for a team's postseason roster, a player must be on any of the following: (a) the active 25-man roster (b) the disabled list, © the bereavement list, or (d) the suspended list as of August 31 at midnight ET.[1] The only exception is that a player who is on the disabled list at the end of the regular season may be replaced on the postseason roster by any other player who was in the organization on August 31, with the approval of the commissioner of baseball.

So you would think they would just make a "move" after tonight's game and send someone down and immediately recall them tomorrow

I like it. We were not going to make the playoffs without acquiring another solid bullpen arm.

I don't know about that, but the bullpen has needed some help and this should give them a huge boost. Broxton is putting up great numbers this season...the budgetary aspect doesn't worry me too much, since a lot could happen in the off-season, and it's not like any of us really know the Brewers' full financial picture anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hard to "like" this deal until we know who we had to give up... Should help us now, but I need to see what we lost before I can even begin to evaluate the trade.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Also concerning is his 5+ ERA the last month...

I hope we did our homework in signing this guy...That is a lot of cash next year for a set-up guy. (my guess is he will be our closer next year though, still an over-pay)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Per cbssports:

"There's no immediate word on the Reds' possible return. Given the salary, though, it's likely this is mostly a salary dump and the players to be named won't be highly-touted prospects."

I hope they're accurate with this statement. Pure speculation (and I don't know if he's injured or not), but Michael Reed hasn't played since Tues. the 26th. That would be a shame if he's one of the guys. I love his OBP and think he's a real under-the-radar type of guy.

Ugh... Horrible move even without knowing the two PTBNL. Broxton doesn't strike anybody out anymore (huge red flag) and his peripherals are consistently mediocre. It's like we went out and signed Kintzler (bad pitcher with a shiny ERA) for $10M...

Figures they probably gave up some decent prospects to boot.

Ugh... Horrible move even without knowing the two PTBNL. Broxton doesn't strike anybody out anymore (huge red flag) and his peripherals are consistently mediocre. It's like we went out and signed Kintzler (bad pitcher with a shiny ERA) for $10M...

Figures they probably gave up some decent prospects to boot.

It's a horrible move before knowing exactly what we gave up and how much of his salary we'll be taking on?

For a seasoned late inning reliever who can still throw 94-95 and has an ERA under 2.00 despite playing in Cincy half the time.

I think that's a bit of a rush to judgement. Attanasio said they had put in waiver claims on 25 guys a couple weeks ago and that everyone was trying to add BP arms. We added a pretty good one. We desperately needed another right handed reliever. We have three good left handed relievers, but not one proven right handed reliever.

I do think Papelbon would have made more sense, but obviously there was some stumbling block to that trade.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived