Brewer Fanatic

2014 Rule 5 Protection & The 40-Man Roster - Jungmann, Rivera, Strong, Goforth Added

Mass Haas
just remember, whoever gets claimed has to stay on the MLB roster until mid season like Wang did, so im not sure how many of those arms are going to end up getting claimed.

plus the claiming team has to pay the original team $50,000, which may not seem like a lot until you think of it as giving up 50,000 brad millses.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Segura and Arcia, it's likely Rivera will never play much for the Brewers. He could still be trade bait though. SS with his fielding ability are not that common, although he still probably makes too many errors. He also has some pop at the plate. I could definitely see him as fodder in some future trade.

Goforth officially added, per McCalvy on Twitter

Not entirely sold, personally (just based on stats). A right-handed RP who has never struck many people out? You'd think Tyler Cravy would be much more desirable.

Goforth reads as having 95+mph FB touching 98 at times. Last season was his first full season used as a RP.

I'm thinking safe to assume he'd be picked up on the FB velocity alone and worked as a Stashed RP like Wang was. While the numbers don't impress they also don't disappoint. Im guessing he's a AAA RP to begin 2015 and that isn't far away to being Big League ready. He has super low HR/9 Considering the Brewers RP situation of the future. He stands as being their best Closer Groomed to join the team after Broxton leaves. Really can't let that just pass on by. No one else in the Brewers top 20 reads as having that kind of velocity aside from Hellweg who's losing time as being a prospect to like.

So the team stands to potentially lose 4 of Jungmann,Bradley, Lopez, Gagnon, Ramirez, Reed, and Goforth? at a minimum if they added 3 of them to fill their 40man with those 7

Reed is not eligible for the draft. Neither is Lopez as they both signed at 18.

So if they are College signings they are eligible but HS signings they are not? At what point does Reed and Lopez have to be protected from Rule 5?

Goforth reads as having 95+mph FB touching 98 at times. Last season was his first full season used as a RP.

I'm thinking safe to assume he'd be picked up on the FB velocity alone and worked as a Stashed RP like Wang was. While the numbers don't impress they also don't disappoint. Im guessing he's a AAA RP to begin 2015 and that isn't far away to being Big League ready. He has super low HR/9 Considering the Brewers RP situation of the future. He stands as being their best Closer Groomed to join the team after Broxton leaves. Really can't let that just pass on by. No one else in the Brewers top 20 reads as having that kind of velocity aside from Hellweg who's losing time as being a prospect to like.

Good info, thanks! Still concerning to me that he hasn't even had a 7.0 K/9 season (above Helena), but we'll see how things pan out as he developed as a RP and not a SP.

Says a lot that they didn't protect Bradley. Easy to stash a lefty in the pen as a LOOGY. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them.

Other than then the Brewers, what teams select players in the Rule 5 with the intention to "stash" them? Most teams selecting players look for guys they think can actually help them in an area of need this season. If it looks like they can't, they get offered back. Bradley has never been a loogy and hasn't done enough for anyone to think he can be slotted into a rotation in 2015. So he's very unlikely to be taken.

2013 rule 5 saw 9 players get selected with all but 3 going back to their original team. im really not worried about bradley or any others because the chances of them getting selected and not being returned is very low

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_5_draft_results

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Says a lot that they didn't protect Bradley. Easy to stash a lefty in the pen as a LOOGY. Hope that doesn't come back to bite them.

I think its fair to say the draft and stash of Wang bit the brewers. He MAY be good in the future, but being one man short in the pen for the entire 1st half of the season, really caused some strain on the pen.

I don't see teams, especially those expected to contend to take a flier on Bradley or any other long term project.

So if they are College signings they are eligible but HS signings they are not? At what point does Reed and Lopez have to be protected from Rule 5?

It is really based on age but since all players drafted out of college are older than 18, college players are eligible after 4 season. So if they were drafted in 2011 out of college then they are eligible this year, guys like Lopez and Reed will be eligible in 2015 because they were under 19 when drafted. Not sure about a guy like Lara if he gets more time. There will be quite a few top prospects that the Brewers will have to add next year along with some of the guys they chose not to protect this year. Fortunately or unfortunately, for the Brewers there are a number of guys in their last year so maybe it won't be too much of an issue.

Cravy could step into a MLB bullpen right away, I would agree that's he replaceable talent, but that's not the kind of talent we can afford to just be giving away because he doesn't scream "impact potential".

I'd much rather trade the player than watch them walk for meaningless sum of money in the modern game.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Other than then the Brewers, what teams select players in the Rule 5 with the intention to "stash" them? Most teams selecting players look for guys they think can actually help them in an area of need this season. If it looks like they can't, they get offered back. Bradley has never been a loogy and hasn't done enough for anyone to think he can be slotted into a rotation in 2015. So he's very unlikely to be taken.

A team like Minnesota that lost 92 games last year and doesn't have the pitching staff to expect to win more than 75 games this year. A team like the Cubs that, if they don't land a couple of top FA SPs, won't have the pitching staff to expect to contend next season. Neither of those teams are long on pitching prospects either so they could take a flyer on someone for a season to add a starting pitching prospect. Cubs kept Rondon in the Rule 5 so they could definitely do it again.

Cravy could step into a MLB bullpen right away, I would agree that's he replaceable talent, but that's not the kind of talent we can afford to just be giving away because he doesn't scream "impact potential".

I'd much rather trade the player than watch them walk for meaningless sum of money in the modern game.

Agreed.

Am I missing something about the difficulty of making a move like replacing Hunter Morris with Cravy on the 40-man? Even if the organization hasn't given up on Morris yet, the chances of a team picking him up as a 1B/DH and him sticking all season are virtually nil. With MLB-potential RP there is always a chance someone will stash them at the back of their bullpen.

The uncertain status of Thornburg and Henderson is likely forcing the Brewers to keep Wooten and Blazek on the 40-man as well, taking up an extra spot. At this point one of Fiers/Nelson (likely Nelson) will slide into the bullpen; add that to Broxton, Jeffress, and a healthy Thornburg and Henderson and Wooten and/or Blazek is likely expendable, opening up a spot for Cravy and/or Bradley.

All things being equal, I'd rather keep a back-of-the-rotation-potential starter than an average bullpen arm. And like you say, I think Cravy and Bradley have a much higher chance of being kept than Morris. Not a high chance; but higher than Morris. It isn't about great talent, it's about playing the odds to keep your best talent.

I just don't understand why you would put Jungmann on the 40 man when you don't need to protect him this year. Obviously they plan on bringing him up at some point in the year, if not the start of the year. Can someone explain the reasoning for this? I was certainly surprised by Rivera making it, I didn't think he had a chance...I guess a defensive SS with limited hitting is exactly what we need or what other teams need...Maybe he is going to have a breakout year...or not. We will see how the Strong pick plays out, I am skeptical about the choice seeing that he hasn't pitched above High A except for a couple innings at Double A...Reminds me of a guy the Brewers Front Office were high on last year...Shackleford.

I just don't understand why you would put Jungmann on the 40 man when you don't need to protect him this year.

They did need to protect Jungmann. Even though he signed late and did not pitch in the regular season of his draft year, that year counts.

Thankfully MLB now has the early decision draft signing cutoff.

Cravy did not pitch much at all above AA. With that, even though I am a big fan, I dont think he has enough 'special' for a guy with limited experience above AA to get stashed in a pen, and i dont think there enough book on him for a team to think he could contribute in a pen over the guys that they already have in there system at the AA and AAA levels. The thing to keep in the back of your mind is almost every organization is going to choose their guy, that they know inside and out, over another teams guy even if the other guy might be slightly ahead. you also lose a lot of roster flexibilty with a rule 5 guy because unlike your guys he cannot be optioned.

There is always a chance bradley or cravy gets picked up, I think bradley has the better chance, but there is an even better chance that they get returned if that even happens. I could see a team thats really dry on talent taking either of the two and giving them a few starts and seeing if they have it, and if not sending them back, but thats just extremely unlikely.

Maybe one guy the Brewers can target is Stetson Allie from the Pirates. The Brewers need a right handed platoon at first and he did hit 270/394/473 last year against lefties at AA. He turns 24 in March but seems to have some upside because he was originally a pitcher in the organization so only has a couple of years as an everyday player. Might not stick but could compete with Jimenez and Rogers for a bench spot and the Brewers could potentially hit big with their future first baseman.

Tweet from the Brewers with Rule 5 eligibles

We do have a question in about the inclusion of RHP Milton Gomez and the non-inclusion of RHP Orlando Torrez, but we're talking about rookie baller's and DSL'ers, so it's just me comparing to the original list we provided to begin this thread.

They list 39 players, I'm double-checking on how many can be protected at the highest level (35, I believe).

This would mean the Brewers, if they wish, could protect the vast majority from being taken in the always-exciting minor league phase free-for-all, no restrictions, of Rule 5.

Tweet from the Brewers with Rule 5 eligibles

We do have a question in about the inclusion of RHP Milton Gomez and the non-inclusion of RHP Orlando Torrez, but we're talking about rookie baller's and DSL'ers, so it's just me comparing to the original list we provided to begin this thread.

They list 39 players, I'm double-checking on how many can be protected at the highest level (35, I believe).

This would mean the Brewers, if they wish, could protect the vast majority from being taken in the always-exciting minor league phase free-for-all, no restrictions, of Rule 5.

It all has to do with signing date.

Even though they both have played four pro years starting in 2011, RHP Milton Gomez (who is actually younger than RHP Orlando Torrez) was signed in July 2010, while Torrez was signed after in February 2011. Gomez' 2010 year counts against his service time even though he did not play that year. Similarly, 2014 counted as a service time year (in terms of Rule 5) for Gilbert Lara.

As for protection limits --

> 38 at AAA

> 37 at AA

> 35 everywhere else

So the Brewers could assign nearly all their Rule 5 eligible players (now 40 with Ariel Pena) to the AAA level, making them ineligible to be taken in minor league rule 5.

Archived