Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-30 Brewers (Fiers) at Giants (Peavy), 8:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-1]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 30 | 8:05 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (73-61) | Giants (72-62)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/giants.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/SNg1DeM.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RsavVyd.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Mike Fiers[/pitcher][h2]4-1, 1.54 ERA, 0.66 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Giants | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers posted a fourth straight stellar start Sunday, allowing only two runs on two Pirates hits over seven innings. In four starts in place of Matt Garza, Fiers has given up 10 hits and four walks in 28 innings, good for a 0.50 WHIP.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Jake Peavy[/pitcher][h2]2-4, 3.18 ERA, 1.21 WHIP (NL #s)[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Peavy's August ERA is 2.94, his best month of the season except April (2.87). His WHIP (walks and hits per inning) as a Giant is 1.21 in six starts, an improvement over his 1.43 figure in 20 games with Boston.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. Carlos Gomez CF
  2. Jonathan Lucroy C
  3. Ryan Braun RF
  4. Aramis Ramirez 3B
  5. Scooter Gennett 2B
  6. Khris Davis LF
  7. Mark Reynolds 1B
  8. Jean Segura SS
  9. Mike Fiers RHP

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. Angel Pagan CF
  2. Joe Panik 2B
  3. Buster Posey C
  4. Pablo Sandoval 3B
  5. Hunter Pence RF
  6. Michael Morse 1B
  7. Gregor Blanco LF
  8. Brandon Crawford SS
  9. Jake Peavy RHP

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers send Fiers to cool off Giants

Peavy gets third start against Milwaukee this season

By Ryan Hood / MLB.com | 8/30/2014 2:25 AM ET

With 30 days remaining in the regular season, playoff races are heating up throughout the Majors. In no National League city will that be more apparent Saturday than in San Francisco, with two contenders squaring off.

The Brewers will enter AT&T Park with a 1 1/2-game lead on the Cardinals in the NL Central, while the Giants will enter as owners of the NL's first Wild Card spot, a half-game ahead of the Cardinals. They trail the Dodgers by 3 1/2 games in the NL West.

Their recently improved fortunes along the shores of McCovey Cove have helped the Giants better their standing. After Friday night's 13-2 shellacking of Milwaukee, they've won six of their last seven home games and eight of their last 11.

Tasked with continuing the success will be Jake Peavy. He's 2-4 with a 3.18 ERA in six starts with the Giants. He's 0-1 with a 3.86 ERA in two starts against the Brewers this season.

But after allowing the Giants to amass a season-high 13 runs Friday night, the visitors might be countering by sending the perfect pitcher to the mound.

They'll start Mike Fiers, who is 4-0 with a 1.29 ERA in four starts since his early-August promotion. He's struck out 32 and allowed just 10 hits in 28 innings during that span.

Giants: Bochy shuffles lineup

For a second consecutive game Friday, manager Bruce Bochy batted rookie Joe Panik second and Hunter Pence fifth.

Pence has spent the majority of the season in the two-hole, but thanks to Panik's torrid August, Bochy said he likes the more diversified lineup he has with Panik behind leadoff hitter Angel Pagan.

Panik higher and Pence lower gives the bottom half of the lineup more lefty-righty variation and also inserts much-needed speed in between Buster Posey, Pablo Sandoval and Michael Morse.

Brewers: Fiers on fire

An injury to Matt Garza took Fiers out of Triple-A Nashville and placed him in the Brewers' rotation. What he's done since is what will keep him there.

"I'm enjoying it. That's fun to watch, especially because he's pitching so much to his strengths. That's what's good about it," pitching coach Rick Kranitz said. "You watch a guy who's getting ahead, using the curveball to his advantage and using the high heater. That's tough to lay off of."

That heater usually sits at 88-89 mph, so what makes Fiers so good?

"Hitters have always said that it feels like he throws harder than what it is," Kranitz said. "It's like, 'Whoa,' and the ball is on him. Deception means a lot in this game. There's guys who throw 95 [mph] and can't get anybody out because they show him the ball. If you show it, they're going to hit it, unless you have unbelievable movement and all that. And what [Fiers] does have is 'stuff.' He spins it and all that. You spin a baseball fast, you're going to be able to throw it by guys. It's like it hits an oil slick."

Worth noting

• The Giants are 53-15 this season when scoring the game's first run.

• Giants outfielder Hunter Pence has an 11-game hitting streak.

• Brewers closer Francisco Rodriguez needs one save for 40 on the season, which would be the fifth time in his career that he's eclipsed the 40-save plateau in a season.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The last week I can't even get myself to check the scores. I usually do a brief check on here and then put it behind meaningful things in life. Please turn it around brewers... not sure I can explain this season to my son otherwise.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Man, do we look stinky at the plate. Come on, snap out of it!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peavey is 3-13 on the season. Do you guys think that, I don't know, we could get a hit please?
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived