Brewer Fanatic

Brewers tried to acquire Justin Morneau from Rockies

Invader3K

Apparently the Brewers put a waiver claim on him and made an offer, but he's staying with the Rockies.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24684403/brewers-won-morneau-claim-and-made-offer-but-hes-staying-in-colorado

Would have been a great fit here right now...but it makes sense that the Rockies didn't want to part with him.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Obviously made sense because they'd have him next year too. Wonder what the Rockies were asking? Maybe they can revisit this in the offseason.

If I had a guess, I'd say the Brewers offered Jungmann. Maybe they can sweeten the pot later by adding someone currently on the ML roster who hadn't cleared waivers this month.

Rockies pulled him back so I don't think a trade is no longer possible.

By later I meant after the season. I realize no deal is possible now, but I sure the Brewers will still have interest in Morneau after this season. One reason teams put guys on waiver in August is to see what teams have interest in certain players not necessarily for right now but for deals in the winter.

Pirates acquired Morneau last year for 1 month of service for Alex Presley. so... just to put into perspective what it took to get him last year from the Twins...

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

and if you're wondering if Alex Presley was anything special for the twins... he wasnt. he left and has played with Houston all season. so basically the Twins traded Morneau away for 1 month of Presley.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Little different circumstances this year though; Morneau has had a heck of a year and is under contract for more than a month. If it was like a Jungmann, Pena, or Bradley and Colorado said no then that's fine. Its not like I would have offered up our top guys anyways. It was worth a shot to Melvin and it is kind of surprising he went unclaimed all the way to the Brewers.

Perhaps the Brewers put in a claim with a bogus offer, not to acquire him, but to block him from some other team. Maybe the real interest was nil. Not likely, but we just don't know. The real shocker here to me is that he got all the way to the Brewers on the waiver wire order.

and if you're wondering if Alex Presley was anything special for the twins... he wasnt. he left and has played with Houston all season. so basically the Twins traded Morneau away for 1 month of Presley.

I think he's clearly established his value has risen significantly.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I realize that, I just wanted to just share what it took last year for the Pirates to get him, which was basically nothing.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Perhaps the Brewers put in a claim with a bogus offer, not to acquire him, but to block him from some other team. Maybe the real interest was nil. Not likely, but we just don't know. The real shocker here to me is that he got all the way to the Brewers on the waiver wire order.

The only teams he would have been blocked from would have been Washington and LA (and the whole AL). They're both fine at first.

It's not surprising that Doug made a claim and it's not surprising a deal wasn't worked out. The Rockies think they can win next year despite being the 3rd best team in their own division. Sure, a healthy Tulo and CarGo make them somewhat of contenders but they have no pitching and no offense outside of those 3 and Arrenado. They didn't want to trade Jorge de la Rosa who's a FA after this year and Brett Anderson who doesn't know how to stay healthy and is owed a bit of money. They're right up there with the Phillies as far as clubs who have no clue what they're doing.

The only teams he would have been blocked from would have been Washington and LA (and the whole AL). They're both fine at first.

It's not surprising that Doug made a claim and it's not surprising a deal wasn't worked out. The Rockies think they can win next year despite being the 3rd best team in their own division. Sure, a healthy Tulo and CarGo make them somewhat of contenders but they have no pitching and no offense outside of those 3 and Arrenado. They didn't want to trade Jorge de la Rosa who's a FA after this year and Brett Anderson who doesn't know how to stay healthy and is owed a bit of money. They're right up there with the Phillies as far as clubs who have no clue what they're doing.

That's four pretty good offensive players. You could say the same thing about the Brewers. They have no offense outside of Luc, Aram, Braun and Gomez. You're leaving out Charlie Blackmon who has a OPS around .950(Coors inflated, but still has a .823 OPS on the road), Drew Stubbs seems to have turned a corner with a BA near .300, Wilin Rosario his 49 HR's and put up an OPS of .820 at ages 23 and 24(2012,'13) before struggling this year, Cuddeyer has said he wants to return next year, the same guy who hit .331 last year in winning a batting title(he's hit .331 this year as well though he's missed most of the year).

So they have a loaded offense. They're obviously lacking on the mound, but they have talent. They have two top 20-25 prospects who should be ready next year, and they have said they plan on being aggressive in free agency this winter with one of the most talented groups of pitchers we've seen in a while. There have been rumors they're going to target Max Scherzer.

All that considered, plus Tulo being pretty vocal about his frustration, it's pretty easy to see why the Rockies would want to keep their assets for next year. They have a great offense when healthy, and if they can add a guy like Scherzer, they could trot out a rotation of Max Scherzer, JDRL, Chacin, youngsters like Jon Gray and Eddie Butler.

Now they constantly have injury problems, but if they could stay healthy, there is absolutely no reason they can't contend for the playoffs next year.

The Rockies are kind of in that dangerous gray area where their team isn't so bad that they need to tear it up and rebuild, but not so good they can really make some big time moves to contend next season either.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Rockies are kind of in that dangerous gray area where their team isn't so bad that they need to tear it up and rebuild, but not so good they can really make some big time moves to contend next season either.

Very true, but boy oh boy, any regression from an aging player like Morneau next year and I'm not sure if I'd be happy if I was a fan of theirs about turning down any sort of pitching assuming that is what was offered by Melvin.

Similar to the Brewers of last year. Good thing we have played over expectations this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

HiandTight: "They have no offense outside of Luc, Aram, Braun and Gomez"

Ok lets just ignore the 124 OPS+ of Gennett and the 117 OPS+ of Davis.

In other words the Brewers have two spots that they need to upgrade offensively, which is pretty good. Unfortunately, Morneau could have upgraded one of the two spots.

I can't see the Rockies taking any offer from the Brewers that didn't include at least one (and probably two) players from the MLB roster. No way are they trading Morneau for Jungmann, Pena and Bradley. More like Gennett, Nelson and Taylor.

While aging, Morneau is a multiple time All-Star and a former MVP who seems to have gotten past his concussion problems that hurt his numbers in recent years and is now back tearing up the league. Plus, he's signed to what looks to be a very team-friendly deal for one and possibly two more seasons after this one. Even if they weren't thinking about "going for it" next year, why would they trade him for three guys who may never have MLB careers?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I can't see the Rockies taking any offer from the Brewers that didn't include at least one (and probably two) players from the MLB roster. No way are they trading Morneau for Jungmann, Pena and Bradley. More like Gennett, Nelson and Taylor.

While aging, Morneau is a multiple time All-Star and a former MVP who seems to have gotten past his concussion problems that hurt his numbers in recent years and is now back tearing up the league. Plus, he's signed to what looks to be a very team-friendly deal for one and possibly two more seasons after this one. Even if they weren't thinking about "going for it" next year, why would they trade him for three guys who may never have MLB careers?

You key phrase is "while aging". Morneau's been solid this year but he's not close to the MVP hitter he once was. No way is Morneau who will turn 34 in May worth anywhere near that package. Nelson alone maybe, but Brewers would have to think long and hard on that one. As for Gennett, why would they want to weaken themselves offensively at one position, 2B just to improve at 1B? That would make zero sense especially considering the age difference between Gennett and Morneau. If the Rockies see themselves as contenders, they could bite on a proven starter like Lohse and a close to major league ready arm like Jungmann. They don't need offense but they desperately need pitching.

Gennett's 2014 numbers are not all that far off Morneau's. Put Scooter in Coors, and he might win a batting title even with facing lefties too.

HiandTight: "They have no offense outside of Luc, Aram, Braun and Gomez"

Ok lets just ignore the 124 OPS+ of Gennett and the 117 OPS+ of Davis.

And why would we ignore that? It was my point.

jerichoholicninja said the Rockies had no offense outside of those 4 players. I was suggesting that's akin to saying the Brewers have no offense outside of the aforementioned players. Just taking the 4 most well known players and dismissing the players who don't get as much hype.

Corey Dickerson OPS+ of 142

Drew Stubbs OPS+ of 113

Rosario OPS+ of 107 with 49 HR's the last two years.

So...lets not ignore anything and lets try and quote people in context if you're going to reply with a snide comment when you completely missed my point.

By the way;

Gennett's 2014 numbers are not all that far off Morneau's. Put Scooter in Coors, and he might win a batting title even with facing lefties too.

AGAIN, Mornreau's numbers are not a result of playing at Coors.

Road splits-.313/.362/.481/.843 143 OPS+

Home splits-310/.345/.500/.845 135 OPS+

Gennett-.300/.333/.463/.796 126 OPS+ vs right handers alone. If you gave him another 100-125 AB's vs lefties when he's sporting a .267 OPS vs lefties and a -25 and -24 OPS vs them the last two years. So they're quite a ways off from Morneau.

Not that it means anything. I love Gennett. Loved when they drafted and got him to sign and I think he's going to play here for a long time.

But my point was saying the Rockies have no offense outside of 4 people is just flat out wrong. They're loaded on offense. Trading Morenau may have been wise, but you have to consider how the best player in the NL feels about it, and Tulo has been pretty vocal about his desire to see a competitive team. Morneau helps them try to achieve that in '15.

• 4 weeks later...
With the season ending so badly I can't help but wonder what would have happened if the Brewers would have pulled the trigger and obtained Morneau as they ended up 8-18 since the initial post here was made. It must be hard being a GM because if Melvin would have just been thinking win now and sent away a guy like Nelson they very well could still be in the playoffs and there would be no talk of Melvin getting fired. Why does any GM care what fans think of them five years from now, why aren't they always selfish and think win now. Not saying it would have been the right move but I sometimes wonder how any GM can think long term when there is basically no guarantee of even next year.

Why does any GM care what fans think of them five years from now, why aren't they always selfish and think win now. Not saying it would have been the right move but I sometimes wonder how any GM can think long term when there is basically no guarantee of even next year.

Actually, I've been thinking how it would have turned out if we signed Abreu, and if we ver legitimately had a shot to begin with.

I think DM handled the end of the season about right. He got two players who helped this year, and will be back next year, without giving up much. If you make a Sabathia type move every year you're "in it" the Brewers would have no Peralta, Nelson, Gennett, Coulter, Tyrone Taylor, Wagner, who know who else. It's a fine line, especially with the Brewers.

Archived