Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-27 Brewers (Gallardo) at Padres (Despaigne), 8:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2 (10 innings)]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gomez, Braun and Ramirez go a combined 0-13 with 7 strikeouts. Completely wasted a gem by Gallardo.

I wouldn't exactly call Gallardo's game a gem but you hope when your starter gives up 0 runs in 6 innings that the rest of the team would be able to play well enough to get a win.

Zach Duke has given up 14 ERs all year, but 9 of them have come this month. Yikes! Ditto the call for bullpen help and, as I noted in the trade rumor/idea forum, if adding a Papelbon or someone comparable helps straighten out this BP and, more importantly, helps them win the division, I'm all for it in spite of the salary ramifications.

Gomez, Braun and Ramirez go a combined 0-13 with 7 strikeouts. Completely wasted a gem by Gallardo.

I wouldn't exactly call Gallardo's game a gem but you hope when your starter gives up 0 runs in 6 innings that the rest of the team would be able to play well enough to get a win.

Well, not a gem, but a good start. Even if it was an ugly 6 innings at times, even with the 3 walks, he shut out a Major League team for 6 innings, and deserved a win. The mighty Brewer offense scored just 3 runs in the final 2 games after scoring 10 in the first.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I'm just happy seeing some intensity from him. I think that was the most intensity anybody in a Brewers uniform showed tonight.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ron's getting a fine.......

Do tell...

He mentioned that they've had problems with this umpire before, and how his strike zone is not consistent, and he's tired of the Padre's catcher holding his glove 6" off the plate, and getting called strikes out there. "That's crap. That's a ball."

Roenicke's right - the calls were a joke. K-Rod's first 2 pitches were strikes all night (especially to Parra) - even my huge Pad homer bud gasped on the 2d one and on ball 3 to Amarista. It's a whole different inning with consistent calls.

Pretty much the whole stadium was stunned that they didn't send Grandal on the fly in the 5th. He's slow and Parra has a good arm but the ball was easily deep enough. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go 1st to 2d on a fly and the runner on 3d not score.

This game was a kind of flip of Monday's - Stults was terrible then had 3 great starts and returned to form Monday; Despaigne was good then had 3 terrible starts and returned to form tonight.

Tailgate was fun, tho shortened by the early start.

Roenicke's right - the calls were a joke. K-Rod's first 2 pitches were strikes all night (especially to Parra) - even my huge Pad homer bud gasped on the 2d one and on ball 3 to Amarista. It's a whole different inning with consistent calls.

Pretty much the whole stadium was stunned that they didn't send Grandal on the fly in the 5th. He's slow and Parra has a good arm but the ball was easily deep enough. I don't think I've ever seen anyone go 1st to 2d on a fly and the runner on 3d not score.

This game was a kind of flip of Monday's - Stults was terrible then had 3 great starts and returned to form Monday; Despaigne was good then had 3 terrible starts and returned to form tonight.

Tailgate was fun, tho shortened by the early start.

No the pitchers to Parra were pretty much right down the middle and he took them. The pitches Roenicke was referring were early in the game to the guys at the top of the order. I don't think Braun was thrown a pitch in the zone the entire night. His first time up after a strike was called on a pitch clearly out of the zone, Braun said something to him. Not sure exactly what it was. Could have been "you're going to give our guy that pitch too right?" or "you can't give him that wide a plate", but whatever it was, Braun was toast the rest of the night. Lucroy, perhaps the most disciplined hitter on the team flailed at an out of the zone slider because this ump had been calling fastballs 8 inches off the plate strikes. Suddenly then in the 9th, he turned into a different umpire with a completely different zone and made K-Rod throw into a tea cup.

By far the most blatantly bad balls and strikes all year and one sided to boot. Interesting that the ump is a SD native too (his bio says he graduated from Escondido High School). Roenicke doesn't have a reputation for calling out umps. Because of that when he does, he's almost always has a case and this guy, who's a minor league call up hopefully won't be getting a full time major league gig any time soon.

I didnt really read this thread, but I was watching the game last night on MLB.tv and really was wondering how so many of those low and outside pitches were being called strikes... I had to stop watching after the 7th, but I get online this morning and read that RRR was ejected and was peeved at the ball/strike calls and I totally get what he's saying. those pitches were just ridiculous early on by despaignes

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

maybe it was Ron Being upset because he had Gallardo Bunt instead of Hitting away just keep throwing away chances to add to your division lead,which will end up costing the brewers at the very end.

Or maybe at Gomez for not being able to hit it in play the next at bat? Jesus the Roenicke bashing is getting insufferable. We've gotten to the point where the manager is being blamed for losing the division on an RBI not being produced in the 3rd inning by a pitcher.

maybe it was Ron Being upset because he had Gallardo Bunt instead of Hitting away just keep throwing away chances to add to your division lead,which will end up costing the brewers at the very end.

journal sentinel quality comment right here

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

RRR getting upset and ejected over strike calls has nothing to do with his decision to bunt gallardo. nothing. at. all.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Since it was still relatively early, you increase your odds of scoring 2 runs with a productive out vs an unproductive out or double play from a pitcher that's batting .111 this year. Furthermore, Gomez is batting +.400 with a runner at 3rd with <2 outs this year with a .500 obp, so with a high percentage of a productive out from Gomez combined with the probability of a Lucroy hit, you have a fairly high probability of 1+ run and its easy to make an argument for having a .111 batting pitcher move a runner over vs having him swing with a good chance of a strikeout/GDP. Most managers would call for a bunt in this situation as well.

But whatever, it's easier to blame the manager for losing the game (actually the entire division) on a pitcher laying down a bunt that moved a runner into scoring position with your two best batters coming up vs anything else that happened in the game by the actual players playing the game. Jesus, this was one the sloppiest games of the year and the takeaway is that its Ron's fault for losing the division because he had his .111 batting pitcher lay down a bunt early in the game?

I haven't read the entire GDT so forgive me if this was mentioned before but I was disappointed in our infield defense - especially screwing up at first. Not having someone covering the bag twice in that game ultimately cost the game for us if we think about it. That game was one of the more frustrating ones to watch plus having to listen to the SD announcers' glee in our misfortune. That plate umpire has no business in the majors. I don't care if a ump has his own strike zone but he should be consistent. We had a chance to distance ourselves from the Cards and didn't take advantage of it in this series. It isn't going to get any easier tomorrow in SF by any stretch. :(

Archived