Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-27 Brewers (Gallardo) at Padres (Despaigne), 8:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2 (10 innings)]

TooLiveBrew
Segura has been pretty bad for for about a year or maybe a little more. I'm sorry that he's endured what he did with his son, but he's been bad at the plate well before any of that went down.

Well his son died at 9 months. Which means his wife got pregnant well over a year ago. No one on this board can say if there were complications. Who knows maybe there have been family problems for the past year. Combine it with pitchers figuring him out some and he just hasn't been able to make adjustments.

True. But by all accounts this was sudden. Hard to take this stance without sounding cruel, but im sure many players have serious family, personal, etc stuff they have to deal with. Just as we all do. Im even willing to give him a pass, but thats not even the issue. In this pennant drive should herrara be playing a lot more, thats the question.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There just seems to be no life on Smiths pitches. Straight as an arrow

I read an article recently (might have been on Disciples of Uecker) that compared Smith statistically when he was lights out to when he came back down to Earth. It basically concluded that his fastball has been completely ineffective.

Jean Segura needs to show us that he can be mentally strong. All the ability in the world won't make him a great baseball player if he cannot have the mental fortitude that is needed to be successful. I feel absolutely terrible for him. Losing a child is about the worst thing that a parent could ever experience. And I certainly understand that he needed some time away from the team when his son died. But at some point he needs to step up his play. When he is at the stadium, he is a professional baseball player with 24 other men counting on him to be in the game mentally, and productive. If he can't be mentally strong, then the Brewers need to find somebody that can be. Because he has not hit, his defense is suffering, and he's been terrible as a base stealer. He is bringing nothing positive to a team that is contending for a pennant.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Segura has been pretty bad for for about a year or maybe a little more. I'm sorry that he's endured what he did with his son, but he's been bad at the plate well before any of that went down.

Well his son died at 9 months. Which means his wife got pregnant well over a year ago. No one on this board can say if there were complications. Who knows maybe there have been family problems for the past year. Combine it with pitchers figuring him out some and he just hasn't been able to make adjustments.

Bingo +1 i was going o post the

same thoughts thanks for posting

If Smith continues his struggles, I would not mind giving the ball to Jeffress in the 8th. Maybe they want to give him a little more MLB experience, but I think he's ready to take that role. Smith has basically been a LOOGY after his fantastic start (not sure if the stats back that up, but it certainly seems that way.)

K-Rod should be used here against the righty. Smith has had pretty bad results from July on.

That doesn't fit the book. A closer can't come in with runners on base. A closer doesn't pitch more than one inning. He got out of it, but that was ugly.

Thank you. Whew. I can come off the ledge now.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Sorry but saying someone needs to be Mentally tough after losing a child which is the worst thing that can happen to a parent is very Cold. I am not sure a parent ever gets over something like that and know a good friend who lost his son and never was the same again.

If Smith continues his struggles, I would not mind giving the ball to Jeffress in the 8th. Maybe they want to give him a little more MLB experience, but I think he's ready to take that role. Smith has basically been a LOOGY after his fantastic start (not sure if the stats back that up, but it certainly seems that way.)

Maybe. But I dont trust anyone in that role right now, including nelson. I like a hard throwing guy like jeffress or nelson in the 8th, but somehow dont feel either will be the lights out kinda guy you want.

Sorry but saying someone needs to be Mentally tough after losing a child which is the worst thing that can happen to a parent is very Cold. I am not sure a parent ever gets over something like that and know a good friend who lost his son and never was the same again.

That goes without saying. So if thats true, shouldnt herrera be playing more?

Segura has every reason to be distraught about his loss and we should all understand that it may be affecting his performance.

However, he has been awful for over a year now. If Segura cannot perform, then Herrera needs to play, regardless of the circumstances.

There's nothing cold about it. I'm not asking him to stop grieving for his child. I understand that he will probably never get over what has been a horrific and gut wrenching ordeal. But when he is at the ballpark, his head needs to be in the game so he can do his job. If he cannot, then he needs to go up to his manager, and tell him he needs more time. If this loss, as terrible as it is, is still affecting him to the point where he cannot concentrate at all, then he needs to be proactive. Nobody else can read what's on his mind. Only Jean can. But he is an adult, and he needs to be honest with himself, and the team that depends on him.

Archived