Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-27 Brewers (Gallardo) at Padres (Despaigne), 8:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 3-2 (10 innings)]

TooLiveBrew

I love love love the movement on Jeffress's fastball.

I've always been partial to left/right fastball movement. My fastball naturally tailed into righties, but I'm a lefty. I also pitched against high school kids and didn't throw the ball 97 MPH. Other than that, I was just like Jeffress!

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sorry but as far I am concerned Segura get a pass for this season without any question.

He was horrible long before the situation with his son. Don't get me wrong, I feel horrible for him, and completely understand that he may no longer be mentally there this season. Not sure turning a blind eye to the fact he has been unwatchable with the bat this season is the right answer.

I am sorry but as far I am concerned Segura get a pass for this season without any question.

I think I have to agree here. I know it's a business and he has to perform, but every time I look at him I think of what he lost.

I dont agree. Has nothing to do with whether hettera should be playing more. Plus. Segura has been this bat at the plate long before that tragedy.

I'd have to see the play again, but I'm wondering if the problem on the check-swing "hit" stemmed from a bad angle by Jeffress. By the time either he or Overbay was able to get to the ball, it would've been hard to field it and get to first base. Jeffress' approach angle may have made it hard to a) allow him to field it and get the ball to Overbay (unless he would've been able to just run it to first), and b) allow Overbay to field it without colliding with Jeffress and also actually make the tag.

The play definitely should've been made, but it was almost a "no-man's land" situation.

I thought Jeffress took a good enough route. Overbay came in, then stopped like he was going to cover first, then came in again. I'd put it more on him, but if either of them get the ball, it's an easy out. Jeffress just has to run to the bag, and Overbay has an easy tag. But it really was one of those play's that was in "no-man's land", as you mentioned. They both arrived at the ball at exactly the wrong time.

The Padres' broadcast just showed a guy catch a foul ball and then two guys next to him took turns holding it and looking at it. I was about to mentally make fun of them for being so interested in looking at a simple baseball, but then I decided I probably would've done the same.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I think I have to agree here. I know it's a business and he has to perform, but every time I look at him I think of what he lost.

I dont agree. Has nothing to do with whether hettera should be playing more. Plus. Segura has been this bat at the plate long before that tragedy.

I just ......yeah. I feel for Jean, very truly. I just can't agree that saying "he gets a free pass" is the right way to look at this. There's 24 other guys that want to win, and giving this guy unlimited rope because of a tragic family situation is not the right way to handle it. If he can't perform because of his off the field situation, they need to put the guy in there that can do the job, and let Jean get his head straight, however long that takes. That's all there is to it.

I just ......yeah. I feel for Jean, very truly. I just can't agree that saying "he gets a free pass" is the right way to look at this. There's 24 other guys that want to win, and giving this guy unlimited rope because of a tragic family situation is not the right way to handle it. If he can't perform because of his off the field situation, they need to put the guy in there that can do the job, and let Jean get his head straight, however long that takes. That's all there is to it.

And this is why I'm not and never will be a manager. I have a sense that Roenicke the Person wants so desperately for Segura to succeed that he may be giving him more chances than his ability deserves. I'm not saying that's the best thing for the team. But I myself am horrible at separating the two.

Segura has been pretty bad for for about a year or maybe a little more. I'm sorry that he's endured what he did with his son, but he's been bad at the plate well before any of that went down.

Well his son died at 9 months. Which means his wife got pregnant well over a year ago. No one on this board can say if there were complications. Who knows maybe there have been family problems for the past year. Combine it with pitchers figuring him out some and he just hasn't been able to make adjustments.

Agreed. I'd say Segura's received ample criticism on his play, even later in the 2013 season. Obviously, that was his rookie season, so he did get a pass (as he should have) for tailing off a bit. It happens to a lot of rookies. I think this year has been different.

Besides the time around the awful death of his child - where you really can't expect any human to be focused on their job - I've seen plenty of fans that are not happy with his bat. And more and more fans have been calling for Herrera to replace him, or for Segura to go down to AAA to try and figure things out. Right now he's almost always hitting weak grounders to short, and the past month or so it seems (just going by the eye test) that his D hasn't been up to snuff either. Now that he's struggling at both ends, I can't really think of any reasons for him to play over Herrera. And it's not like Herrera is a sieve on D either.

Jesus, here we go again. Keystone cops in the field.

Shoot me.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived