Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-26 Brewers (Nelson) at Padres (Ross), 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-1]

TooLiveBrew
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Attaboy, Scooter! Ace this! Nice, beautiful swing!!!
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

This is setting up very nicely for a Reynolds BB and a Segura ground out to short.

Hah, take that! You clearly underestimated our baserunning!

Nicely played. For those of us without video, what happened?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is setting up very nicely for a Reynolds BB and a Segura ground out to short.

First and third, 2 outs. A ball in the dirt, and Davis got thrown out by a mile trying to go to 2nd.

Ross threw one in the dirt, catcher blocked it pretty easily and it didn't get too far away (around home plate). Davis decided to take off for second for reasons unknown and was thrown out easily.

Don't mean to ruffle too many feathers but Jimmy Nelson is a pretty average pitcher. If those David Price rumors had some backbone I would have more seriously considered dumping him off on them.

He's just struggling with his command a bit. I'm not going to write him off after a half-season worth of starts.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm a proponent of advanced metrics, but just don't understand how they rank the Brewers highly.

I don't like the baserunning metrics for a variety of reasons. The biggest one is that they just tell you "this guy took an extra base" or "this guy got thrown out trying to take an extra base". There's no context. That doesn't tell you if it's truly "good baserunning" or "bad baserunning". It just measures extra bases and outs on the basepaths, nothing more.

Here's a combined statement on the quality of the MLB At-Bat app and the ugliness of Davis' baserunning:

The inning ended so abruptly that I turned away before the play, turned back to see the "Commercial Break In Progress" message on the screen, and thought the stream screwed up again.

You must have forgotten. It's been a while since our last base running blunder so Davis thought it was time for another. Plus Reynolds wasn't doing anything based on what he showed in the 3 pitches there were.

Archived