Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-26 Brewers (Nelson) at Padres (Ross), 9:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 4-1]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 26 | 9:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (73-58) | Padres (60-70)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/padres.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/6uyQDaj.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/bUspzLi.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Jimmy Nelson[/pitcher][h2]2-4, 4.15 ERA, 1.34 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Padres | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson was not sharp in his last start against Toronto, allowing four runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings. It snapped a streak of five straight quality starts, and afterward Nelson acknowledged he needs to mix up pitches better.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Tyson Ross[/pitcher][h2]11-12, 2.68 ERA, 1.17 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Ross was a hard-luck loser his last time out against the Dodgers. After taking a two-hit shutout into the eighth inning, he allowed a two-run home run in a 2-1 loss. He did establish the club record for most consecutive quality starts (12).[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. C Jonathan Lucroy
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. 2B Scooter Gennett
  6. LF Khris Davis
  7. 1B Mark Reynolds
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Jimmy Nelson

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. 3B Yangervis Solarte
  2. CF Abraham Almonte
  3. LF Seth Smith
  4. 1B Yasmani Grandal
  5. 2B Jedd Gyrko
  6. C René Rivera
  7. RF Rymer Liriano
  8. SS Alexi Amarista
  9. RHP Tyson Ross

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers call on Nelson in San Diego

Padres turn to ace Ross against NL Central leaders

By Cody Ulm / MLB.com | 8/26/2014 2:36 AM ET

Brewers right-hander Jimmy Nelson has a knack for drawing opposing pitchers with lengthy resumes.

And just when he thought his luck couldn't get any worse, he's now facing an ace who will be looking to take his recent frustrations out on the Brewers.

After dueling against Cy Young Award winners Tim Lincecum, Zack Greinke, Clayton Kershaw and R.A. Dickey in his last four starts, Nelson will be matched against right-hander Tyson Ross Tuesday, who just set the Padres record with his 12th consecutive quality start.

Where Ross' frustrations stem from is the fact that he's been handed the loss in his last two outings despite allowing just five runs in 14 innings. Most recently, he looked to have gotten the best of the Dodgers' Kershaw before Justin Turner's two-run homer in the eighth innings solidified a 2-1 defeat.

"I'll try to focus on the good things," Ross said. "The focus moves to the next start."

Of course, Nelson certainly doesn't feel bad for him. The rookie righty has turned in a quality start in six of his eight nods this season but only has a 2-4 record to show for it.

As for drawing the opposition's best arm, he doesn't try to get too discouraged by it.

"I'm still going to pitch against the same lineup, no matter who's pitching for them," Nelson said. "There's nothing I can do about it. It's one of those things you can't control. I'm trying to control what I can do."

Brewers: Slumping Segura returns to lineup

He certainly didn't light the world on fire Monday, but the Brewers will take any sign of life they can get from shortstop Jean Segura.

In his return to the starting lineup after two days off, Segura finished 1-for-3 with two walks and a run scored in the Brewers' 10-1 rout of the Padres.

Manager Ron Roenicke gave Segura a mental break after the normally sound defender committed two errors in Friday's 8-3 loss to the Pirates. Segura didn't start either weekend game but ended up coming on as part of a double switch in the sixth inning on Saturday.

Entering Monday with a .233 batting average, Segura seemed to respond with a renewed focus.

"Anytime I take a guy out for a couple of games, a starter, I'll talk to him," Roenicke said. "He understood. They may not be happy all the time, but they understand."

Padres: Gyorko, Cabrera progressing

The Padres are hoping to get both of their regular starting middle infielders back from hamstring injuries soon.

Jedd Gyorko was out of the starting lineup for the third straight game on Monday, but manager Bud Black called on him to pinch-hit in the ninth inning. He grounded out to the pitcher. Black said Gyorko may start on Tuesday.

"He's getting real close. We talked today about whether to start him, but we decided to give him another day," Black said before the series opener. "I think medically, the trainers and the doctors are saying to be just a little more patient."

Everth Cabrera, meanwhile, was given a tentative return date of Sept. 1. Cabrera has been out since Aug. 10 with a strained left hamstring that also kept him out for most of July.

"He's gonna run and pick up the intensity as far as what he's doing with his legs," Black said. "He's turned the corner on this and his activity level is picking up."

Worth noting

• Carlos Gomez, Ryan Braun and Aramis Ramirez each finished with three on Monday.

• Braun sustained a bruised left quad in the first inning Monday and exited the game in the seventh. He is hopeful he will be able to start Tuesday.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mc Cutchen caught a ball at the wall and FROZE after he hit it. He looked bad in his next AB and sure enough he was lifted. I KNEW they brought him back too soon. (Bucs up 2-0) Cole pitching a gem.

Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the DL before the season ends

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Mc Cutchen caught a ball at the wall and FROZE after he hit it. He looked bad in his next AB and sure enough he was lifted. I KNEW they brought him back too soon. (Bucs up 2-0) Cole pitching a gem.

Wouldn't be shocked if he ends up on the DL before the season ends

on the DL again. he was on the 15day once already

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Want to hear a wild prediction? Ryan Braun goes off the last 31 games of the season, and puts himself in serious contention for the MVP.

Think it can't happen? A pitcher is the favorite to win it right now. I can see the discussion now, Braun and Kershaw, and the highlight of Braun hitting that opposite field home run off Kershaw in the evening.

Braun has 10 hits, including 2 home runs, in his 6 game hitting streak. Anybody here want to bet me that he can't hit 8 home runs, and drive in 26? If Braun hits .300 with 25 HR and 100 RBI, while missing, what, 25 games of the season, and leading the Brewers to the division championship while injured--it could happen. And we've seen Braun go on those kind of tears before. He's hitting the ball real well right now. The next 5 games will be very telling. If he's able to continue pulling the ball with power, look out.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Want to hear a wild prediction? Ryan Braun goes off the last 31 games of the season, and puts himself in serious contention for the MVP.

Think it can't happen? A pitcher is the favorite to win it right now. I can see the discussion now, Braun and Kershaw, and the highlight of Braun hitting that opposite field home run off Kershaw in the evening.

Braun has 10 hits, including 2 home runs, in his 6 game hitting streak. Anybody here want to bet me that he can't hit 8 home runs, and drive in 26? If Braun hits .300 with 25 HR and 100 RBI, while missing, what, 25 games of the season, and leading the Brewers to the division championship while injured--it could happen. And we've seen Braun go on those kind of tears before. He's hitting the ball real well right now. The next 5 games will be very telling. If he's able to continue pulling the ball with power, look out.

Unfortunately, Braun could hit .330 with 35 HR and 120 RBI and some of the voters would not vote for him.

Unfortunately, Braun could hit .330 with 35 HR and 120 RBI and some of the voters would not vote for him.

this

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That makes me wonder: Has there EVER been a player voted an award after a PED incident? (I can't think of any)

http://i.imgur.com/541rr.gif

this

Braun was second in the MVP voting in 2012 after Outside the Lines broke the story about him. With voters names now being made public, I think fewer voters will hold it against him than you think. Sure, there will still be doubters. But if he has that hot a finale, and the Brewers win the division, I think he'll be right there in the voting. Part of this is wishful thinking, sure. But you have to have some fun with everything, and Braun has been a great player his entire career, and he's quite capable of pushing his way into the discussion.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Pirates should have used RRR 100 pitch rule, sent Cole back out to start the 7th with 104 pitches, long story short, game now tied 2-2

What a waste of a great start. Cole looked like a man possessed. He actually looked like he was pitching angry a few different times.

If Jameson Taillon is able to come back from Tommy John the same kind of pitcher, the Bucs are going to have a heck of a 1-2 punch. And Tyler Glasnow might be in high A ball, but he could be a real stud, too. He's supposed to have a lively fastball, and Jonathan Mayo thinks he has an above average to plus curveball. So the Pirates should be a better team going forward. With the Cubs having so much young talent, you have to figure that at least a few of those top prospects will meet expectations. If they do, add them in with Rizzo and Castro, who I think will still take a step forward, and the Cubs should have a pretty strong lineup, too.

The NL Central could very easily be the toughest division in baseball for a good long while. And you know, I like playing in a tough division. If all the teams are at least pretty good, that's baptism by fire, so to speak. If every divisional opponent is trying to make it to the playoffs, if you do end up winning the division, or making the playoffs, you've had just a little bit more game play against top opponents, which means you're just a little bit better prepared for the post season.

Is anybody else on MLB.tv having a lot of page loading interruptions?

Archived