Brewer Fanatic

Rusney Castillo: signs w/BOS; 7 yrs/$72MM

superfly

Doesn't look like we're involved, but he's expected to sign soon. Yanks are reportedly trying to get him to play 2nd.

[*]Six teams seen as serious players for Castillo with deal coming soon

August 19, 2014 1:52 pm ET

Rusney Castillo worked out for the Yanks, BoSox, Tigers, Phillies, Cubs and M's. (USATSI)

Cuban star Rusney Castillo is sifting through offers from multiple teams, and officials with interested teams say they expect a decision soon, perhaps by the end of the week.

One of a half-dozen teams -- the Red Sox, Tigers, Phillies, Cubs, Yankees and Mariners -- who all worked out Castillo privately -- is expected to win the services of the compact and powerful Castillo who is generally viewed as an outfielder by most but is apparently being considered as a possible second baseman by the Yankees.

Considering his workouts, which are said to have been impressive, plus the stark successes of Cuban stars Jose Abreu, Yasiel Puig and Yoenis Cespedes, bidding is expected to be spirited for the 27-year-old Castillo.

He was seen in some circles as mostly a speed player entering his open workout, but he popped several very long home runs in the initial exhibition at the University of Miami that he is viewed as having very good powerful potential. "He isn't Abreu or Cespedes in terms of power, but he has above average major-league power," one official with an interested team said. (Keep in mind, too, that not being Abreu or Cespedes for power isn't necessarily a put-down, as Abreu is third in MLB with 31 homers homers and Cespedes is the two-time Home Run Derby winner.)

Castillo's other tools received similar praise, and while most teams view him as an outfielder ("he can play center, no doubt," one scout said), the Yankees are said to be considering him for second base. "He has the actions of an infielder," one scout said.

It's anybody's guess who'll win the Castillo derby, and many are indeed making guesses. One interested executive guessed that the Red Sox or Tigers, who both have outfield needs, could be in the lead. Another said he believed the Phillies, another team with outfield questions, are being "coy" and may ultimately land Castillo -- though Philly hasn't unloaded much salary in trade this summer and has been close to the luxury-tax threshhold, without going over it, for years.

The Mariners, which forged a $240-million deal with Robinson Cano, who like Castillo is represented by the Roc Nation/CAA partnership, could be a player in the eyes of some due to that relationship plus Seattle's possible need for an outfielder -- though others wonder whether their extra look might be a courtesy call considering the Mariners had seemingly little money to spend at the deadline. The reason he doesn't fit the Yankees as an outfielder is that he is seen as too much like Jacoby Ellsbury and Brett Gardner, though Castillo showed more power than those two established stars in his workouts.

Estimates have ranged from $35 million to $55 million for Castillo, though early estimates have tended to be low on some of the Cuban stars. There is a possibility Castillo could possibly be ready to help a contender this year if he signs soon, which is another reason a deal could happen in the coming days.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24667942/six-teams-seen-as-serious-players-for-castillo-with-deal-coming-soon

I just saw that the 27 year old cuban defector is look to get something in the neighborhood of 5 years and 50/60 million.

Should the Brewers be in on this guy?

I think so. Since hes played more than 5 years internationally he does count against next seasons international bonus pool and he could be added to the roster in September without disturbing. Having another centerfielder of his caliber would allow this team a lot of flexibility (Khris Davis to first) both this season and moving forward. He is compared to Cutch and Puig...

I doubt they get in the mix, but with a lot of salary coming off the books this offseason, especially with a potential trade of kyle lohse, option pickup and trade of gallardo, weeks, and Ramirez. This make up of the team would probably be able to absorb this contract easily and could potentially be adding an allstar. Everyone left is pre arby or on a team friendly deal.

I would be okay with next years team looking like this:

SP: Garza

2: Peralta

3: Nelson

4: Fiers

5: Thornburg/Smith (depending on Tylers health)

With Smith, Jungmann, Pena, Hellweg, Burgos, Blazek, Bradley, Cravy and the likes providing depth. (the brewers have never had this kind of pitching depth in my entire 15 years religiously following the team and its affiliates.

CF: Gomez

2b: Gennett

RF: Braun

C: Lucroy

1B: Kandy Khrush Davis

SS: Segura

RF: Castillo

3B: Rogers

P: Garza

The bench would likely be comprised of Maldy, Schafer, Morris, Herrarra, possibly matt clark who is getting outfield work now.

I know this is all super speculation, but this would allow the brewers flexibility to load up with minors (which they should do with their pitching depth, but likely will not), because it would allow you to trade one of braun (if someone would take his contract) or Gomez who the brewers will not be able to retain.

What are you all's thoughts?

especially with a potential trade of kyle lohse, option pickup and trade of gallardo, weeks, and Ramirez. This make up of the team would probably be able to absorb this contract easily and could potentially be adding an allstar. Everyone left is pre arby or on a team friendly deal.

I would be okay with next years team looking like this:

SP: Garza

2: Peralta

3: Nelson

4: Fiers

5: Thornburg/Smith (depending on Tylers health)

With Smith, Jungmann, Pena, Hellweg, Burgos, Blazek, Bradley, Cravy and the likes providing depth. (the brewers have never had this kind of pitching depth in my entire 15 years religiously following the team and its affiliates.

CF: Gomez

2b: Gennett

RF: Braun

C: Lucroy

1B: Kandy Khrush Davis

SS: Segura

RF: Castillo

3B: Rogers

P: Garza

The bench would likely be comprised of Maldy, Schafer, Morris, Herrarra, possibly matt clark who is getting outfield work now.

I know this is all super speculation, but this would allow the brewers flexibility to load up with minors (which they should do with their pitching depth, but likely will not), because it would allow you to trade one of braun (if someone would take his contract) or Gomez who the brewers will not be able to retain.

What are you all's thoughts?

A definite no in my book to picking up the option on Rickie. Goodbye Weeks, it's been well frustrating to say the least.

As for the rest. There is nothing suggestion the Brewers would trade Lohse and Gallardo. That just isn't Melvin's and Attanasio's MO. As mentioned, Krush can't play first. Braun has been discussed, I am on the side of the fence that he would be fine there, but I don't see them adding an expensive OF - especially with Parra still on the roster for next year.

I don't know where Melvin will make his off season move, he rarely sits still - maybe he will target some relief pitching - but until November, I don't want to think about the off season :)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Isn't Parra going to be back next season too? I think an outfield of Davis, Gomez, Braun, Parra, Schafer is a strong outfield both offensively and defensively.

Parra is arby eligible next year for the final time. He's probably in line to make upwards of $6 million. I don't think the Brewers pay that for a back up, but you never know. With the injuries that Braun and Gomez have had over the last couple of years, the depth is great to have.

I agree that the depth is great to have with Parra, just not sure if he will want to go into his walk year slotted as a 4th outfielder. I'd imagine he'll do & say all the right things the rest of this year while we are in contention but will be asked to be traded or released once the offseason hits if we can't guarantee a starting job for 2015.

especially with a potential trade of kyle lohse, option pickup and trade of gallardo, weeks, and Ramirez.

A definite no in my book to picking up the option on Rickie. Goodbye Weeks, it's been well frustrating to say the least.

As for the rest. There is nothing suggestion the Brewers would trade Lohse and Gallardo. That just isn't Melvin's and Attanasio's MO. As mentioned, Krush can't play first. Braun has been discussed, I am on the side of the fence that he would be fine there, but I don't see them adding an expensive OF - especially with Parra still on the roster for next year.

I don't know where Melvin will make his off season move, he rarely sits still - maybe he will target some relief pitching - but until November, I don't want to think about the off season :)

Ha, I see how that looks... I meant pick up gallardos option, which is a team option, then shop him whether in the winter or mid season. Then let weeks walk, and Ramirez walk (or actually pick up his option as well, he doesn't seem to be slowing down, but the power is nearly gone). IIRC weeks' option is one that cannot be 'picked up' by either side, rather it is a vesting option based on PAs I think, which I would then assume it has no chance of vesting.

But, to my displeasure, you are correct, it's not Melvin and MAs MO. It's just frustrating to see Epstein doing everything right in Chicago, they are going to own the division for a long time starting in the not so distant future. They are built like a good small market team that has big dollars, it's scary. The funny thing is, cubs fans have been trying to run him off, they call him an idiot and they hate him (at least all of the ones I know, some of which I am sadly related to...). I wish the brewers would be willing to take the risk on young guys to allow them to build for sustained, inexpensive, success.

I agree that the depth is great to have with Parra, just not sure if he will want to go into his walk year slotted as a 4th outfielder. I'd imagine he'll do & say all the right things the rest of this year while we are in contention but will be asked to be traded or released once the offseason hits if we can't guarantee a starting job for 2015.

I don't know what kind of influence Parra can really have. If Milw wants to pay him 6mil to be the 4th OF they'll do it. Being Released isn't an option. Traded yes. But there's no way Milw just Releases him because the "4th" OF tag doesn't suit him and he doesn't want to play for them under that tag.

As for the Castillo Signing. Wow. I'm actually getting sickened by these contracts. This is a 27! year old Cuban player with "Power" being given a 6+! year contract that takes him to age 33? Really?

Really?

That's just absurd! The 10+mil per year isn't crazy I suppose(must be nice to be worth more than Gomez! never playing a ML game) It's that he's Guaranteed money for the next 6+years at that 10+mil! And a 13.5mil Player Option for that final year! What happens when his(less than Cespedes) comparisons result in a .190BA with 24HRs and OPS barely at .700 because I'm sure he'll walk less than 4% of his PAs, and he's dropped in 2016 forever to never play again. Can he just exercise his 2019-2020 13.5mil player option, even though he's been out of the ML games for 2years? How does that work?

I'd respect a 4year deal with the 5th being a vested option. and a 6th year being a mutual option.(if applicable)

I really hope this blows up in the Red Sox' face and the guy turns in to nothing more than a .230/.265/.400 OF who they are stuck paying 70+mil for the next 6years.

I'm just not a fan of these International signings that supercede the kind of Signings American HS/College players sign only to have to deal with the Team Control 3years to Arb factor before becoming a FA 6years later(at earliest) where they can get the opportunity for a deal likes Castillo's.

I don't know what kind of influence Parra can really have. If Milw wants to pay him 6mil to be the 4th OF they'll do it. Being Released isn't an option. Traded yes. But there's no way Milw just Releases him because the "4th" OF tag doesn't suit him and he doesn't want to play for them under that tag.

As for the Castillo Signing. Wow. I'm actually getting sickened by these contracts. This is a 27! year old Cuban player with "Power" being given a 6+! year contract that takes him to age 33? Really?

Really?

That's just absurd! The 10+mil per year isn't crazy I suppose(must be nice to be worth more than Gomez! never playing a ML game) It's that he's Guaranteed money for the next 6+years at that 10+mil! And a 13.5mil Player Option for that final year! What happens when his(less than Cespedes) comparisons result in a .190BA with 24HRs and OPS barely at .700 because I'm sure he'll walk less than 4% of his PAs, and he's dropped in 2016 forever to never play again. Can he just exercise his 2019-2020 13.5mil player option, even though he's been out of the ML games for 2years? How does that work?

I'd respect a 4year deal with the 5th being a vested option. and a 6th year being a mutual option.(if applicable)

I really hope this blows up in the Red Sox' face and the guy turns in to nothing more than a .230/.265/.400 OF who they are stuck paying 70+mil for the next 6years.

I'm just not a fan of these International signings that supersede the kind of Signings American HS/College players sign only to have to deal with the Team Control 3years to Arb factor before becoming a FA 6years later(at earliest) where they can get the opportunity for a deal likes Castillo's.

I get where you're coming from, but I go the opposite way. I'm happy for the kid. He won the lottery(though I realize how much work he's put in).

American kids don't live in oppressive communist regimes where they have to sneak away, have gangsters smuggle them into other countries and everything else that goes with a Cuban defector. They also don't have to spend a big chunk of their professional years playing for peanuts.

So good for him. He's set for life and it's the Red Sox money. I like it. But Cuba is a unique case.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived