Brewer Fanatic

Monte Harrison

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Swoon, everybody.

I mean, really, when has a prospect ever had us this excited?

Ceiling? There is no ceiling!

VIDEO

Well-spoken, too...

I don't think anyone since Weeks/Braun/Fielder time frame has shown such promise. I'm still surprised he fell so low in the draft.

The guy doesn't look 220 pounds. He looks leaner than that. Sort of like Carlos Gomez - he's a lot bigger than you imagine.

The guy doesn't look 220 pounds. He looks leaner than that. Sort of like Carlos Gomez - he's a lot bigger than you imagine.

If we go with their B-Ref pages but substitute the video's statement that Harrison weighs 220, they are actually both identical: 6'3" 220lb.

Harrison is great. Work ethic + raw tools is how you become an All-Star.

[sarcasm]Can't wait until we trade him for Jonathan Papelbon.[/sarcasm] ;)

Swoon, everybody.

I mean, really, when has a prospect ever had us this excited?

Ceiling? There is no ceiling!

VIDEO

Well-spoken, too...

*wipes the drool off my face.

Tyrone Taylor who?? If Harrison can really play CF we have 2 prime trade bait CF's in our organization (Gomez).

Really superfly?

Tyrone Taylor: .387/.434/.667 (majority at Helena)

Monte Harrison: .261/.402/.339 all in Arizona.

Not based on their rookie seasons.

I don't think 18 G from Taylor's first year are all that indicative of anything. Harrison has higher upside, in my opinion. Taylor is a better prospect right now because he is further along in his development.

I want him in Wisconsin. I know the Helena and Arizona kids are down in Arizona before their leagues open up; for legitimate prospects such as Harrison it seems like a waste to keep him in extended spring training for 2 months instead of getting game experience in WI.

He looks very similar to Rickie Weeks when you look at him. Same type of build. Super excited for him and I do hope he is in Wisconsin as well. It wouldn't be shocking the way they have been aggressive with guys like Taylor and Arcia. The reason I think he could be held back is if they want to try to keep that wave together for a little bit.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

I want him in Wisconsin. I know the Helena and Arizona kids are down in Arizona before their leagues open up; for legitimate prospects such as Harrison it seems like a waste to keep him in extended spring training for 2 months instead of getting game experience in WI.

I'd like to see him at Wisconsin as well. He seems to have a more mature approach at the plate, so let's be a bit aggressive with him. And as people noted, he seems like a level headed kid who will benefit from the added responsibility and advanced play. One minor issue with moving Harrison to Wisconsin is Brandon Diaz is probably slated to be the CF. I suppose you could have the two split time between CF and RF so they both can play there. I just like the idea of Harrison playing the premium spot as much as possible. Repetitions (at bat and in the field) are important for him as he focuses on baseball for the first time in his life.

I'd like to see him at Wisconsin as well. He seems to have a more mature approach at the plate, so let's be a bit aggressive with him. And as people noted, he seems like a level headed kid who will benefit from the added responsibility and advanced play. One minor issue with moving Harrison to Wisconsin is Brandon Diaz is probably slated to be the CF. I suppose you could have the two split time between CF and RF so they both can play there. I just like the idea of Harrison playing the premium spot as much as possible. Repetitions (at bat and in the field) are important for him as he focuses on baseball for the first time in his life.

Harrison is the higher priority prospect over Brandon Diaz such as Tyrone Taylor over Michael Reed. If they feel he is ready for Wisconsin, they will prob play Diaz all over (in LF-RF-DH- and CF on Harrison's days off, DH days, or days they want to work him in the corners)

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

What a great young man. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.

OT:Danan Hughes! Heckuva wide receiver for Iowa back in the day. Looks like he hasn't aged a day (he's in hid mid 40's).

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm excited to see him in spring training and see how big he really is.

Seems like he's further along in his development already in another multiple sports athlete Bubba Starling with Kansas City. Bubba skipped becoming the starting QB at Nebraska to sign with the Royals the 5th overall pick a few years back. To say he's struggled in the years since is an understatement.

Brewers might have found something really special with this kid.

• 3 weeks later...

I love the speed and OBP.

That said... I counted only ten extra-base hits in 180 at-bats. I have to admit that I am a little skeptical on that front. I'm willing to be proven wrong - and I think that Harrison looks to be a Juan Pierre-type leadoff hitter at the very worst.

Of course, if the power DOES develop...

That said... I counted only ten extra-base hits in 180 at-bats. I have to admit that I am a little skeptical on that front. I'm willing to be proven wrong - and I think that Harrison looks to be a Juan Pierre-type leadoff hitter at the very worst.

Kid doesn't even need the power to be a star. He has All Star potential with his defense potential and pure hitting ability. Best prospect the Brewers have had in years by far. If he shows he can hit he will shoot up prospect rankings really fast.

Remember he is just out of high school. He already has some very mature skills and just needs to cut down on the strikeouts. Just needs to refine his game like most kids fresh out of high school.

Kid doesn't even need the power to be a star. He has All Star potential with his defense potential and pure hitting ability. Best prospect the Brewers have had in years by far. If he shows he can hit he will shoot up prospect rankings really fast.

Remember he is just out of high school. He already has some very mature skills and just needs to cut down on the strikeouts. Just needs to refine his game like most kids fresh out of high school.

As I said... I see his worst-case scenario as being another Juan Pierre (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/pierrju01.shtml). Not bad, but I would like to get more than that. For me, the big question will be, can he develop more power, and become a player who can post a very high power-speed number, like Carlos Beltran (http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/beltrca01.shtml)?

If that is the case... the Crew's looking at a huge star who would be ready to take the torch from Ryan Braun as the face of the franchise.

Archived