Brewer Fanatic

Taylor Jungmann

ewitkows
I was quite impressed with what I saw of Jungmann in his two innings yesterday vs the Rangers. Curveball looked very nasty and he had good sink on his fastball. It was just a few innings of a ST game, but I was pleasantly surprised and I feel a bit better about him as our 6th starter. Could still be improving to, lots of potential.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I was quite impressed with what I saw of Jungmann in his two innings yesterday vs the Rangers. Curveball looked very nasty and he had good sink on his fastball. It was just a few innings of a ST game, but I was pleasantly surprised and I feel a bit better about him as our 6th starter. Could still be improving to, lots of potential.

you are really ruining the whole 'his stuff sucks' narrative!

:rolleyes

Community Moderator

I thought Taylor's outing was the highlight of yesterday's game. As noted he displayed a nice looking curveball that he appeared to command well with I believe just one exception. My expectations for Jungmann's ceiling were tempered long ago, but I remain (cautiously) optimistic that he can develop into a reliable backend major league starter in the very near future.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

maybe Jungmann will have a sucky career like that Braun guy. Remember how he was never supposed to succeed because of his elbow (according to a Bfan poster)?

Actually that was banter about Corey Hart.

Jungmann's arsenal was very average coming out of college, he never profiled as a top of the rotation pitcher. People around here got over excited for 2 reasons... 1) The scouting reports that his FB hit 97MPH, I never saw him throw anything above 94, and that was on 4 seamer the ESPN gun and 2) Melvin made the mistake of saying Taylor could possibly help the big club immediately after the draft. Both of which set the bar way too high for him considering the quality of secondary stuff at the time, I actually thought his change had better movement than the curve post draft.

I'm glad he pitched well though and his peripherals were much much better last season so he's trending upwards. I still don't buy the whole, "he was working on stuff" Brewer management excuse as every pitcher in the minor leagues is working on their pitches and command. There was a break through that hasn't really been reported on in depth, the light went on, we had plenty of reports of him trying "strike out" guys and missing when he was in BC, something changed from a command standpoint. He's also obviously made improvement with curve from what I've read (which was necessary) and I've gotten to the point I'm somewhat interested to see him pitch.

When I get around to posting my top 25 this week he'll actually break the top 10, and not by default because there weren't other options like in the past. He's genuinely improved as did Nelson before him which is almost positive trend pitching wise for the Brewer organization. A couple of more breakouts and we can claim the Brewers have turned an important corner towards taking the organization to the next level. Being able to develop and sustain a MLB rotation from within is huge for any MLB franchise, but especially a small market club like the Brewers.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'm glad he pitched well though and his peripherals were much much better last season so he's trending upwards. I still don't buy the whole, "he was working on stuff" Brewer management excuse as every pitcher in the minor leagues is working on their pitches and command. There was a break through that hasn't really been reported on in depth, the light went on, we had plenty of reports of him trying "strike out" guys and missing when he was in BC, something changed from a command standpoint. He's also obviously made improvement with curve from what I've read (which was necessary) and I've gotten to the point I'm somewhat interested to see him pitch.

When I get around to posting my top 25 this week he'll actually break the top 10, and not by default because there weren't other options like in the past. He's genuinely improved as did Nelson before him which is almost positive trend pitching wise for the Brewer organization. A couple of more breakouts and we can claim the Brewers have turned an important corner towards taking the organization to the next level. Being able to develop and sustain a MLB rotation from within is huge for any MLB franchise, but especially a small market club like the Brewers.

For me, Jungman will be nice, but the Tylers (Cravy and Wagner) are the ones who are really exciting. They could give the Crew a couple of excellent starters for about five years... until it's time for the free agent market to kick in.

Tell me if I am crazy, but I see Garza and Peralta both stepping up this year. And them becoming a true 1.5 / 1.5 punch for the couple years after this. We have such a great history of having number four starters... that is, our number five is always good (a number four), and our number four is ok (a number four) and our number three not so good (a number four). But we just do not seem to have (since Sheets) some guy that really, really is worthy of an all night cheese sambo. I am tired of having a couple 2.5s and 3 number fours. I want a couple 1.5s and a bunch of threes. And we are then in EVERY game!

Tell me if I am crazy, but I see Garza and Peralta both stepping up this year. And them becoming a true 1.5 / 1.5 punch for the couple years after this. We have such a great history of having number four starters... that is, our number five is always good (a number four), and our number four is ok (a number four) and our number three not so good (a number four). But we just do not seem to have (since Sheets) some guy that really, really is worthy of an all night cheese sambo. I am tired of having a couple 2.5s and 3 number fours. I want a couple 1.5s and a bunch of threes. And we are then in EVERY game!

I think Peralta does have "ace" written all over him. To me, I want to see what Tyler Cravy and Tyler Wagner do. Cravy could be up in 2015 (I figure he's the 8th starter, behind Jungmann and Thornberg).

In 2016, it could very well be that the Brewers have Peralta, Lohse, and Cravy as a 1 and a pair of 1.5s, with Jungmann, Thornburg, Nelson, and others competing for the last two slots.

I like Cravy but in what world does he have more potential than Nelson (In that he would be guaranteed a spot and Nelson needs to fight for the 4/5 spot). I like Cravy and all but I would say Thornburg, Nelson, and probably Jungmann all have higher ceilings than him. Plus Cravy has still never thrown 100 innings in a season and he is now over 25 years old. I have never heard anywhere that Cravy has the upside of a 1/2 type pitcher.

The recent chatter around spring training is that Jungmann has his fastball back. And they chat of that 95 mph (touch 97) one he showed in college. And Taylor just says 'oh, this past off season is the first off season since college that has been my normal off season - a long break and LOTS of physical work. Is it possible our first rounder becomes a first rounder - albeit three years late! That would be good for us (and him!)

The recent chatter around spring training is that Jungmann has his fastball back. And they chat of that 95 mph (touch 97) one he showed in college. And Taylor just says 'oh, this past off season is the first off season since college that has been my normal off season - a long break and LOTS of physical work. Is it possible our first rounder becomes a first rounder - albeit three years late! That would be good for us (and him!)

Context -- http://m.brewers.mlb.com/news/article/112425768/brewers-impressed-by-taylor-jungmanns-electric-fastball

PHOENIX -- The Brewers won't begin logging radar gun readings until next week, but general manager Doug Melvin's eyes tell him right-hander Taylor Jungmann's fastball has better life this spring. Jungmann believes he knows why.

"After college, I didn't have a real offseason until this year," said Jungmann, 25, who is positioned as top backup to the Brewers' five-man starting rotation. "This was the first offseason where I've really gotten conditioning the same as I had in college. If there is a velo jump, I think it would be the result of my offseason work with my strength coach."

That coach is Austin, Texas-based Lance Hooten, a former University of Texas strength coach who is well-known in Major League circles. Angels closer Huston Street, Reds starter Homer Bailey and Cardinals slugger Matt Holliday are among the players who have gone to Hooten for offseason workouts.

"What he works on, especially for the younger players, is general athletic ability," Jungmann said. "A lot of jumping, a lot of agility stuff. We're on the track for an hour and a half every day before we even get in the weight room.

The result, Jungmann said, is he feels more like the pitcher the Brewers drafted 12th overall in 2011 out of Texas, where Jungmann regularly touched 97 mph and won the Dick Howser Trophy as the top collegiate player in the country.

In a pair of two-inning outings this spring, Jungmann has allowed two hits and two walks, with four strikeouts.

"I threw harder in college than I did my first years in pro ball, and I think that was the result of trying to do my workouts in a shorter period of time," he said. "This time, I had a whole offseason, so I think that really helps.

"I feel like I'm getting back to where I was in college in terms of confidence in my mechanics. Every day, it's small things you have to work on to be consistent."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

he got ROCKED yesterday

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

oh i know, and ST is not a barometer for success, especially when pitchers are told at times to only throw specific pitches, so you have to take bad outings like that with a grain of salt... but it still doesnt change he got rocked hard.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Archived