Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-19 Blue Jays (Happ) at Brewers (Fiers), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-1]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/bluejays.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 19 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Blue Jays (64-61) | Brewers (70-55)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/0wBJ2I5.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/9v7BIlQ.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]J.A. Happ[/pitcher][h2]8-7, 4.20 ERA, 1.39 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Happ entered his last outing with a 1.71 ERA since the All-Star break, but hit a bit of a rough patch vs. the Mariners. The veteran lefty surrendered a costly two-run single to Dustin Ackley in the fifth and allowed five runs in his six innings.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Mike Fiers[/pitcher][h2]2-1, 1.29 ERA, 0.81 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Blue Jays | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers moves up in the rotation because the Brewers are skipping Kyle Lohse, but he'll be throwing on regular rest because of Monday's off-day. Fiers is coming off a 14-strikeout, six-inning performance against the Cubs.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. SS José Reyes
  2. LF Melky Cabrera
  3. RF José Bautista
  4. 1B Edwin Encarnacion
  5. C Dioner Navarro
  6. CF Colby Rasmus
  7. 3B Juan Francisco
  8. 2B Munenori Kawasaki
  9. LHP J.A. Happ

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. 1B Jonathan Lucroy
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. LF Khris Davis
  6. 2B Rickie Weeks
  7. C Martín Maldonado
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Mike Fiers

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blue Jays look to Happ to keep playoff hopes alive

Brewers will counter with Fiers, looking to keep win streak going

By Jamie Ross / MLB.com | 8/17/2014 4:42 PM ET

Mike Fiers has made a smooth transition into the Brewers' starting rotation, and he'll look to help the team extend its four-game winning streak when he faces the Blue Jays in the series opener Tuesday at Miller Park.

Fiers, who joined the rotation in place of injured righty Matt Garza, is coming off a 14-strikeout performance in a win over the Cubs on Thursday.

The club is skipping Kyle Lohse's start because of his sprained ankle. Because of a day off Monday, Fiers will be pitching on regular rest.

Fiers is 2-0 in a pair of August starts, allowing one earned run and two walks over 14 innings.

"I feel like I've been pitching like this all year," Fiers said. "I kind of got my confidence back from last year, probably in winter ball. Coming into Spring Training, I felt good. I just took off from there. Yeah, I got sent to Triple-A, but it didn't kill my confidence sending me down. I just had to wait for my opportunity and do it now."

The Blue Jays will need a strong start out of J.A. Happ as they try to keep pace in the race for the American League Wild Card. The Blue Jays, 4-11 in August, have been unable to recapture the magic from a torrid run in May and a playoff spot seems more unlikely with every day.

Happ has been one of the team's most reliable starters in the second half, posting a 2.51 ERA over five starts.

He entered his last outing with a 1.71 ERA since the All-Star break, but hit a bit of a rough patch vs. the Mariners. The veteran lefty surrendered a costly two-run single to Dustin Ackley in the fifth and allowed five runs in his six innings.

"The results weren't there, so that's obviously frustrating, every game is big, but you can't get too down on this," Happ said. "I felt good, I felt like I was making pitches."

Blue Jays: Rotation getting rest

The Blue Jays' starting rotation could use a breather, but this week might be taking it to the extreme.

Toronto has three off-days within the span of a week. The first came after a recent series in Seattle with another pair on the way Monday and Thursday.

A day off would normally be a welcome break for a staff that includes veterans R.A. Dickey and Mark Buehrle plus rookies Drew Hutchison and Marcus Stroman, but in this case it might be too much of a good thing.

"I'd rather have them spread out a little bit to be honest with you," Blue Jays pitching coach Pete Walker said. "I think when you get three within eight days, that's probably too much. But at the same time, it's not going to hurt us.

Brewers: Gennett nearing full speed

Brewers second baseman Scooter Gennett believes it won't be much longer before he's once again running full speed on the basepaths, and the team's upcoming schedule could help.

Off-days on Monday and Thursday, plus the fact the Blue Jays are starting a left-handed pitcher on Tuesday night at Miller Park, will give Gennett three of the next four days to rest the right quadriceps that has been giving him some trouble since a series in Washington immediately following the All-Star break. To avoid turning a nagging injury into a significant one, manager Ron Roenicke has encouraged Gennett to go easy on the bases when he can

Worth noting

• Melky Cabrera has hit safely in 23 of his last 30 games since July 13.

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke filed a report to Major League Baseball executive vice president Joe Torre requesting a second look at the controversial double play that ended a Brewers' rally in the seventh inning Saturday night.

Rickie Weeks was called for interference on the play by second-base umpire Hunter Wendelstedt after executing what he and Roenicke each insisted was a perfectly clean take-out slide. When Weeks and Roenicke protested, Wendelstedt told them he saw Weeks hit second base and roll into Dodgers shortstop Miguel Rojas behind the bag.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Have warm ups started? Pre-game show?

Seriously, I am REALLY looking forward to see what Fiers does today. He could be a guy you bring up once a year for two months. Because he does seem a mystery to batters. There is too much evidence (even a great Fangraphs from a year or two ago). For some reason (the funny high front glove?) opposing batters just do not pick up the ball. Will batters eventually get used to him? That is why he should be the mystery pitcher. If you hide him in AAA for half each year, then you bring him up, the opposition will say 'oh, no, that guy who you cant see the ball is coming up'.

How many Ks would Fiers get pitching in an afternoon game at Miller?

...and for this game, our right hand heavy lineup. It all seems to perfect. Now I worry.

Anyone else jacked up for the last month and 37 games of the season? This ought to be pretty fun!!!

I went to the Nashville game last night as I live in Albuquerque now and watched them mash the ball all around the park. Jason Rogers had four hits and all were just crushed. Hit a homer, two doubles and a single. His only out was a smashed ground ball right at the third basemen. He also made a diving snag down the line and threw a guy out and made a couple others routine plays.

This guy is someone I cannot wait to see at the MLB level to see if it transfers or not. I wish they would add him before September 1st so he could be on the playoff roster. Talk about a nice pinch hitter to have.

Hector Gomez also made a bunch of nice plays at short and mashed the ball last night. Three hits with a homer.

Sean Halton also hit. Played RF and was horrible. He just cannot judge fly balls. Schaffer was trying to give him direction and I think even he was getting frustrated.

Was fun to get to see some of these guys. Oh, and it was .50 cent hotdog night plus they were selling Miller Lite and Leinies so I felt at home!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I put my 2 week notice in at work, start a new job in 2 1/2 weeks, today has been a great day so far, please keep it on fiers tonight, Brewers!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Random deep thoughts: I never thought about this before, but isn't the St. Louis Cardinals logo and entire color scheme a giant error? Cardinals have bright orange beaks, I don't know any species of Cardinal with yellow beaks.

Archived