Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-17 Brewers (Peralta) at Dodgers (Haren), 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers SWEEP, 7-2; 5 RBI from Luc, 6 scoreless IP from Peralta]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 17 | 3:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (69-55) | Dodgers (70-55)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/dodgers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/nWE5qwV.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/QGHQ6Xa.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Wily Peralta[/pitcher][h2]14-7, 3.46 ERA, 1.28 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Dodgers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Peralta had won five consecutive starts and 10 of his previous 11 decisions but was defeated on Tuesday by an old foe. He fell to 0-3 this season against the Cubs, compared with 14-4 against his other opponents.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Dan Haren[/pitcher][h2]10-9, 4.50 ERA, 1.29 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Haren has righted the ship after a disastrous five-start stretch that saw him compile a 10.03 ERA in 23 1/3 innings, giving up only three earned runs and issuing just one walk in his past two starts. Outside of those 5 starts, he has a 3.39 ERA on the year.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. Carlos Gomez CF
  2. Jonathan Lucroy C
  3. Ryan Braun RF
  4. Aramis Ramirez 3B
  5. Scooter Gennett 2B
  6. Khris Davis LF
  7. Mark Reynolds 1B
  8. Jean Segura SS
  9. Wily Peralta RHP

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. Dee Gordon 2B
  2. Yasiel Puig CF
  3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B
  4. Matt Kemp RF
  5. Carl Crawford LF
  6. Justin Turner 3B
  7. Darwin Barney SS
  8. Drew Butera C
  9. Dan Haren RHP

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday

RECAP

VIDEO

[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haren hoping to extend positive vibes vs. Brewers

Peralta shoots for 15th win as Milwaukee tries to go 5-for-6 vs. Dodgers

By Stephen Pianovich / MLB.com | 8/17/2014 12:41 AM ET

Riddled with injuries, the Dodgers have been without pieces of their pitching staff they usually rely on in recent weeks. However, there is at least some good news about their pitchers: Dan Haren is trending in the right direction.

Haren had an ERA just north of 10 in July and his first start of August. But in his last two outings, Haren has pitched more like a three-time All-Star. He gets the chance to build on recent success against the Brewers on Sunday as the two first-place teams wrap up a three-game series.

The veteran righty has surrendered just three earned runs in 13 1/3 innings during his last two starts, picking up wins on both occasions. After his last start -- a six-inning, two-run showing with seven strikeouts against the Braves on Tuesday -- Haren cited positive feedback from Dodgers manager Don Mattingly as one of the reasons for his pair of strong starts.

"[Mattingly] pumped me up, though, a little bit," Haren said. "He said I'd done a good job for the team, I got a bunch of wins and they feel good with me. That felt good. Going through a rut like I was, I was pretty much off the Internet and ESPN and MLB. There's no need to see any negative reinforcements. It was good to feel something positive from him."

Opposing Haren will be Wily Peralta, who is aiming to tie Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto for the Major League lead in wins with 15.

This will be Peralta's second attempt to lock down win No. 15. He took the loss in his last outing, though he had a quality start by allowing three runs in 6 1/3 innings against the Cubs.

Brewers: Team still looking to add bullpen arm through waivers

The Brewers didn't see any results in their efforts to acquire another reliever prior to the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline. But they're not done searching for a new bullpen member.

Milwaukee's principal owner, Mark Attanasio, met with the media prior to the team's Saturday night contest in Los Angeles and said the Brewers are still very much looking to see what's out there in terms of relief help.

"We put in claims literally today for relief pitchers," Attanasio said. "Literally, today."

While the Brewers couldn't find any deals they were willing to take before the Deadline, they're not helped by the fact they are second-to-last in waiver claiming position in the NL because of their win-loss record.

Dodgers: Ramirez could see time at third base

The Dodgers are hoping Hanley Ramirez can return to the left side of the infield as soon as his 15 days on the DL expire. It just may be farther left than he's used to.

Third baseman Juan Uribe was placed on the 15-day DL on Saturday because of an injured right hamstring, leaving the team with a need at the hot corner. This is where Ramirez comes in.

Ramirez has made the position change before, spending time at third in 2012 when he was still with the Marlins, but he played eight games for the Dodgers at third two seasons ago after he was traded. Ramirez has played just shortstop in the last two seasons, but was at third taking grounders Saturday. He also participated in batting practice as he continues to recover from a right oblique strain that will sideline him at least until Aug. 24.

"I feel like Hanley has been doing pretty well," Mattingly said. "He's been able to do some things yesterday. Feeling like when it's time for him to come off, he's going to be able to come off."

Worth noting

• Sunday will be the last regular-season meeting between the Dodgers and Brewers in 2014. Milwaukee has had a lot of success in the potential playoff matchup, winning four of the first five games -- all of which have been played in the last two weekends.

• One day after leaving late in the game with a stiff back, Adrian Gonzalez was in the Dodgers' lineup Saturday. The first baseman went 1-for-4.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Fun game again last night. The place was buzzing for a start by Kershaw. He was getting some huge cheers before the game. Expectations are so high for him, people around us are already talking perfect game after 2-3 innings. Dude is the best, but the Brewers hit lefties well so I thought we would have a shot. Not as many Brewers fans last night. Maybe the prices on stub hub were a little high with Kershaw going. The Badger alums will have a huge group out there today so I'm expecting a big Brewers fan showing today.

The boos for Braun were as loud as I've heard. LA sports fans have a knack for booing other teams more than cheering their own. Lot's of boos and you suck kind of things. Typical. At about 2-0 on Braun, there was a fairly loud "cheater, cheater" chant going. Then Braun hits that homer and after another round of boos it was dead quiet until Kemp hit the homer. I was surprised the ball made it out...it just kept drifting back and then it was gone. Not many guys go oppo in that cavernous park.

Hats off to Gomez too. For all the frustrating things Gomez does, last night his aggressiveness was the offensive difference. He jumped on the first pitches. He did the same thing to Kershaw that Dee Gordon was doing to Nelson the night before. He threw him off and then Kershaw missed his spot. Nelson was the same to Puig.

One guy that looked off was Lucroy. He was already talking to himself walking up for the first AB. He is completely psyched out by Kershaw. The Dodgers ran on him quite a bit too. Might be a good spot to get Maldy behind the plate today...but I'd still start Luc at 1B. He'll light up Haren.

Gallardo looked great. He's really starting to evolve from a strike out pitcher as his velocity has come down. He's now had several starts where he's going deeper with lower pitch counts. KRod was solid too. He didn't seem phased at all by Kemp's homer. He knew no one else in that lineup could do that with a pitch out of the zone.

Almost forgot to mention...last night I had my eldest daughter at the game. She's been a long time Braun fan, although that may have waned a little given his issues and that she's approaching her teen years and things Dad likes aren't quite as cool as they used to be. Regardless, Braun has a knack for doing something special every time I bring her to the game. We can only recall one time he didn't homer when I've had her out there...and he still had a huge double in that game. It's really uncanny how good he is when she's there.

Little daughter gets the start today. She was a big Prince fan so we've been searching for a new fave. She's been gravitating a little towards Segura so we'll see how that goes today.

Also, I couldn't do the brat again last night. Went with the helmet nachos...that's a lot of food.

Thanks for the reports SoCal. Dodger Stadium has been a pretty friendly place for the Brewers recently. We are in Atlanta dropping our daughter off at GT (parents' reception and convocation today right over the game) so I couldn't get up there this year. Good luck with your daughters. Mine had a Weeks jersey that she wore for years until she was about 12-13 and I was telling her how much I liked Weeks and why and she said "don't ruin the jersey Dad" but apparently it was too late. She got a Pony League Brewer jersey (#10) from one of her friends' Dad who coached a Mustang pony team and she's worn it ever since even after finding out who #10 is.

My brother was at Wrigley Tuesday and said they really went after Braun, especially later in the game as the Cubs got closer to the W and the fans got drunker. One of the sports bars had "Braun Is Positive The Cubs Play Clean" on the marquee. He wished he had a No H8R shirt.

Let me know if you'll be at Petco next week. I'm going Mon. and Wed.

So are we just never going to play Parra?

They made it pretty clear when the trade happened that he was going to be the 4th outfielder and primary pinch hitter. He played a lot early because of the injuries, but this is his role.

Here are all seasons with HR > 20 and HRs >= 1/2 RBI total

[pre]Rk Player HR RBI Year Tm PA

1 Barry Bonds 73 137 2001 SFG 664

2 Barry Bonds 45 90 2003 SFG 550

3 Rob Deer 32 64 1992 DET 448

4 Chris Duncan 22 43 2006 STL 314

5 Mark Reynolds 21 42 2014 MIL 379

6 Kevin Maas 21 41 1990 NYY 300

7 Chris Hoiles 20 40 1992 BAL 371[/pre]

Archived