Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-16 Brewers (Gallardo) at Dodgers (Kershaw), 8:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-2; Yo with 8 strong innings]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 16 | 8:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Brewers (68-55) | Dodgers (70-54)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/dodgers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/ovE2Xgp.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/gSWM6Je.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Yovani Gallardo[/pitcher][h2]7-6, 3.44 ERA, 1.23 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Dodgers | Game Log[/h3][h3]The key stat from Gallardo's win over the Cubs on Aug. 11: Zero walks. That was the fifth time in 24 starts that he did not walk a batter, and he's allowed only four earned runs in 35 1/3 innings in those games.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Clayton Kershaw[/pitcher][h2]14-2, 1.78 ERA, 0.86 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Kershaw played the role of stopper his last time out, halting a two-game slide by limiting Milwaukee to one run in eight innings and finishing 1-for-2 with an RBI, a run scored, a walk and a hit-by-pitch.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. Carlos Gomez CF
  2. Jonathan Lucroy C
  3. Ryan Braun RF
  4. Aramis Ramirez 3B
  5. Khris Davis LF
  6. Rickie Weeks 2B
  7. Mark Reynolds 1B
  8. Elian Herrera SS
  9. Yovani Gallardo RHP

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. Dee Gordon 2B
  2. Yasiel Puig CF
  3. Adrian Gonzalez 1B
  4. Matt Kemp RF
  5. Carl Crawford LF
  6. Justin Turner 3B
  7. A.J. Ellis C
  8. Miguel Rojas SS
  9. Clayton Kershaw LHP

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday

RECAP

VIDEO

[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crew gets another crack at Kershaw

Dodgers' ace looks to become Majors' second to 15 wins

By Adam Lichtenstein / MLB.com | 8/16/2014 2:00 AM ET

Teams have tried a multitude of strategies in their attempts to beat Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw.

When the Brewers faced him on Sunday, they opted to be aggressive on the basepaths.

It didn't work.

Although they put the leadoff man on base in four of the first five innings, they managed only one run as Kershaw picked up his 14th win of the season and lowered his ERA to 1.78. They'll get a second chance at the lefty on Saturday.

Kershaw will try to become the Majors' second 15-game winner this season. Cincinnati's Johnny Cueto became the first on Friday.

"I think any time you face a pitcher like Kershaw, if you try to just get stagnant, I don't think much is going to happen," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "He's tough to run against, but sometimes you think you need to do some things to try to create a few runs."

The Brewers will have arguably their best pitcher on the mound to go against Kershaw, though.

Yovani Gallardo has only seven wins this season, but he leads the staff in ERA among pitchers with more than 20 starts -- but not by much. Gallardo's 3.44 mark edges out Wily Peralta's 3.46 ERA by a hair.

Gallardo hasn't faced the surging Dodgers this season, and in his career, he owns a 5.98 ERA in seven games against them.

Brewers: Lohse to be skipped

The Brewers announced that Kyle Lohse would be skipped over in his next scheduled start in order to give the right-hander's sprained right ankle time to heal.

Lohse was originally scheduled to start against the Blue Jays on Tuesday, but Mike Fiers will now make the start. Fiers will be on regular rest thanks to the team's off-day on Monday.

"I'm not exactly sure where [Lohse] goes back in," Roenicke said. "It will really depend on how the ankle is and where we see that he's close to 100 percent. He probably won't be 100 because once you sprain it -- but we want to get him to the point where we're comfortable with putting him out there."

Lohse, who rolled his ankle during his Aug. 2 start against the Cardinals, has been a rock of the Brewers' rotation the last two seasons, going 22-17 with a 3.42 ERA in 57 starts.

Dodgers: Ryu hitting disabled list

Left-handed pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu is heading to the 15-day disabled list with a right hip strain he suffered during Wednesday's start against the Braves, manager Don Mattingly said Friday.

Ryu underwent an MRI and was examined by Dr. Neal ElAttrache on Friday, and the MRI showed he had a grade 1-2 strain in his hip area. The Dodgers recalled reliever Pedro Baez from Triple-A Albuquerque to take Ryu's spot.

Mattingly said he's not sure what Ryu's timetable to return would be.

"What we thought yesterday is pretty much what we know today," Mattingly said. "We'll know more in three, four, five days, what he's going to be able to do. This isn't an injury that they've seen a whole lot of."

This is the second time Ryu has gone on the disabled list this season. He missed 20 games from April 28-May 21 with left shoulder inflammation.

Kevin Correia will start in Ryu's place on Tuesday against Padres. Correia has already made one start for the Dodgers, going six innings and giving up one run against the Braves on Monday.

Worth noting

• The Dodgers acquired right-hander Justin Germano from the Rangers for future considerations on Friday. The Dodgers assigned German to Triple-A Albuquerque.

[TLB's note] And, oh yeah, some guy named Francisco Rodríguez tied some guy named Fingers for 11th in saves in MLB history. But that's probably not worth noting :rolleyes

Just an FYI... I'm pretty sure the game starts at 8:10 tonight.

Whoops - I assumed that, but didn't read the Gameday preview page closely enough... 9:10 ET.

Thanks for the correction!

Great write up TooLive .... As for skipping Lohse start. It makes sense. If you count it out, a 5th starter isn't needed until Tuesday August 26th @ SD.

Please note that the game preview write-ups I link regularly are done by MLB.com writers :)

Plenty of Brewers fans at last nights game. Crowds at Dodger Stadium have gotten steadily better as the team has post-McCourt. Fun night overall.

We did have a guy behind us who didn't like that two guys in front of him were wearing Brewers attire. I had my Rickie Weeks jersey on (Go Rickie!). He kept yelling "Let's Go Dodgers" at the top of his lungs while almost leaning down in between the two of us. We had 4 Dodgers fans come up and apologize to us...they were sick of him too. The only time I got a look at him was from behind as he was walking up the stairs after Overbay's hit and my buddy and I were high fiving in the aisle.

Despite that we had plenty of fun with the Dodgers fans around us. Overall a great crowd and civil. Of course the police presence outside the stadium is still heavy after the Stow incident.

Perhaps the highlight outside of Overbay's big hit, was the presence of the "Milwaukee Bratwurst" at a concession stand behind section 8 of the field level. With all the opposing team fans they get at Dodgers games I always thought they should have some of the other team's food at the game. I even served on a charity board with a guy from Aramark and kept telling him that, so it was cool to see they've finally come through. Someone said they've been doing it for other teams as well, including a Philly Cheesesteak. The brat was long and thin like a Dodger dog, but had the basic flavoring. They even put kraut and a little brown mustard on it. The biggest issue is they kept the whole thing under a heat lamp to speed up the service, so the bun was all dried out. Nonetheless, I greatly appreciated the effort. Nice job Dodgers.

Both teams are fun to watch. There is an anti-Cardinals looseness to both teams that make them fun. They are fairly similar in the team chemistry camp. They also make plenty of frustrating mistakes. Puig and Gomez are similar in that respect. They both are great and make incredible plays...then do something that makes you scratch your head. Both are fun to watch.

TLB...you'd have liked this game...it was Star Wars night! They had characters all over and we saw a number of ladies with their hair up Princess Leah style...it was funny.

I really felt they had a shot after getting Greinke out after 5. We kept noticing his pitch count up. I was surprised he didn't come out in the 6th after batting though. The Brewers showed good plate discipline, although I thought Gomez blew it swinging at ball 4 and grounding into a DP in the 7th. They needed to get at least one game this weekend and now they have it going into Kershaw tonight. If Gallardo can hang with him, it could come down to a bullpen battle again tonight. I like our chances there. Should be a fun one tonight...I'll be there!

TLB...you'd have liked this game...it was Star Wars night! They had characters all over and we saw a number of ladies with their hair up Princess Leah style...it was funny.

Nice! I wasn't able to watch the game last night... wish I would've caught some of it.

Nothing better than when your team is actually in a race come mid August and into September. So fun.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Please win tonight. It's my birthday, and I deserve a nice night cap. That's all, thanks. Bye.

Don't worry about it they will. Happy B-day!

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is it 6pm yet? The Packers game was kinda meh. Im fine not really watching football til late October hopefully

In the 90's, I was all jacked up for Packers football at this time of year. Of course, at this time of year in the 90's, Brewers baseball was all but over. So far this year I haven't listened to or read any Packers coverage at all. I really enjoy the Packers, but they're my #2, no doubt about it.

Archived