Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-14 Brewers (Fiers) at Cubs (Jackson), 1:20 PM CDT [Brewers win, 6-2; 14 Ks for #TEHFIERS]

TooLiveBrew
*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

Man do I hate our bull pen. So predictably bad...

EDIT: Of course, the error at 2nd base is the reason for the runs being scored...

Without being able to see the game, was this really on the bullpen? Was Herrera's error pretty routine?

Yes it was routine, but Duke was responsible for all the base runners that inning, regardless of the error...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can someone please show me any evidence that pitch counts correlates with injuries? If it did then why to relievers need to have Tommy John surgery. The whole thing is total crap that just allows weak people to avoid blame for a player getting injured.

I don't know about that, but I do wonder whether the one size fits all approach is smart. If you're throwing upper-90s, then a 100 pitch cut-off seems reasonable. But someone like Fiers who sits in the low-90s and is more of a command pitcher could probably go a bit further than normal.

From what I have read, it really has nothing to do with traditional "fatigue." Where oh, your tired so you should come out. (Think a basketball player dripping with sweat in the 4th quarter.) Injuries to pitchers can occur at a greater frequency when they modify their normal pitching mechanics. This happens at a more subconscious level - it isn't like the pitcher saying I am tired so let me change my arm slot. Fatigue is a factor but managers / pitching coaches should take more of a sport science view of their pitcher in games. If they notice changes in the body, that should alarm them for concern and not some arbitrary number of 100.

One can be "fatigued" but his mechanics are still sound thus risk of injury isn't present. Where as another guy can be fatigued in the 3rd inning, and sub consciously making minor mechanical changes which can result in injury.

I agree, the arbitrary 100 number seems completely made up.

How is it possible that Mark Reynolds has 21 home runs and 42 RBI's? He must be horrific with men on base.

Ya, no kidding. He is the solo shot king.

His walk rate goes way up with men on. Meaning teams would rather challenge Segura, and who can blame them?

For all those that always say Fiers has average stuff...I say you don't K 17 with average stuff.

His breakkaball is slick, I'd say above average. And fastball below. But you can't walk across most of his pitches better. Location's always been his thing, and when he's on he's really, really good.

How is it possible that Mark Reynolds has 21 home runs and 42 RBI's? He must be horrific with men on base.

Ya, no kidding. He is the solo shot king.

His runner on third < 2 out situations have driven me crazy this year. 3-16 with 4 sac flies and 2 walks. So backing out the BBs, a 7-20, 35% success rate in plating the runner on third. MLB average is 51%. Small sample, yeah. I can't get over seeing a guy that should be able to tap a ball and have it get it into the outfield for the sacrifice fail 65% of the time.

*BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!*

Man do I hate our bull pen. So predictably bad...

EDIT: Of course, the error at 2nd base is the reason for the runs being scored...

I thought Duke did well and it is nice to see Smith returning to form.

It appeared 13 of the strike 3 pitches were fastballs. That might be a record.

He has a GREAT rising fastball.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

I'll tell you what, that Curve ball on strike out number 13 was just filthy nasty. Even my wife started giggling and laughing at that knee-buckler.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived