Brewer Fanatic

Wily Peralta - 20 game winner watch?

liveforoctober
Pitcher wins are fairly meaningless, but it's still pretty neat to get to 20.
I understand that the 20 win stat is like RBI's. A lot depends on other factors. But which would one rather have? A 15 game winner with a 2.75 ERA or a 20 game winner with ANY old ERA?

That's sort of like saying would you rather have 2001 Barry Bonds who didn't win the World Series, or 2001 Craig Counsell who won the World Series.

Treating this as an all-purpose Wily Peralta thread:

In yesterday's game against the Dodgers, I noticed that Wily hit 99 mph at least once, and of course many of us know that Wily is among league leaders in average SP velocity. My question is, Wily is 25 years old now, but is there still room for him to continue adding velocity?

According to Fangraphs, he's hit 99.2 mph this season and 99.3 mph last season, whereas in 2012 his max velocity was only 98.4. When he was still a prospect (as late as early last year), scouting reports said that he sat 93-95 mph and topped out at 98 mph max. It seems like he's touching higher than that in game situations, and I was just wondering if there's any chance he could ever hit 100 mph. Not sure it really matters, but would be kind of a cool feather to put in his cap if he joins the triple digit club.

Wins meant more when pitchers completed games. Even then it really took multiple 20 win seasons to separate the outstanding pitchers from the one year wonders. Still over large samples of multiple seasons when factors such as run support, bullpen efficiency, etc. tends to even out, the best pitchers usually still have the best winning percentages if not the most number of wins.

I saw a stat (before Peralta's last start?) showing season splits. With an ERA around 2.7 he was something like 3-4 to start the season. For the next split his ERA was 3.8 and he was something like 11-3. The run support differential was somewhere around 2 or 3 for the first split compared to over 6 for the second. I would like to see him get 20 wins, but those splits really say a lot about the luck factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived