Brewer Fanatic

Wily Peralta - 20 game winner watch?

liveforoctober

I don't know if this is premature, but Wily is gunning for #15 tonight. I glanced at the schedule... If the schedule and rotation holds (iffy) Wilys remaining slate looks like:

@Cubs

@Dodgers

Pittsburgh

@San Francisco

St Louis

Marlins

Reds

@Pirates

Cubs

If I can be generous and give him wins against the Cubs tonight and the final series.. He would need 4 wins in 7 starts beyond that. Some tough clubs to fight through though. Without looking, I am fairly certain we haven't had a 20 game winner since Higuera. Can Wily get it done? Probably needs to get the "easy" one tonight to have a chance.

Thoughts?

6 out of 9 down the stretch will be tough, especially when the offense has been having trouble putting up runs and the tired bullpen well need to cover 2-3 innings per game. There just isn't much margin for error. Still it would be cool to have a Brewer with a 20 win season, and if he does it, it would certainly bode well for winning the division.

It's hard to win 20. HOF'er Don Drysdale only did it twice. Chris Carpenter: once. Fernando Valenzuela: never.

It will come down to RUN SUPPORT. If Peralta gets it, he can do it.

...and bullpen support; the Brewers have to stay in the lead the rest of the way for him to get the 'W.'

Chris Capuano went 18 - 12 back in 2006. I believe he was our last 18 game winner. That seems do-able. 20 wins is going to be tough against that schedule.

Brewers have only had three 15 game winners in the past 20 years:

Capuano 18 (2005)

Gallardo 17 (2011) & 16 (2012)

Greinke 16 (2011)

It's hard to win 20. HOF'er Don Drysdale only did it twice. Chris Carpenter: once. Fernando Valenzuela: never.

...and bullpen support; the Brewers have to stay in the lead the rest of the way for him to get the 'W.'

Absolutely.

Wily could not give up a single earned run until next April and not win another game. It's such an outdated and worthless stat that I don't see the value in being called a 20-game winner. As others have pointed out, it takes a team to win a game (bullpen, run support, etc) that I'm not sure why MLB even needs to declare a winning/losing pitcher along with the save stat. Pitchers get wins for giving up 7 runs and get losses for not giving up a single earned run. It's not really indicative of anything other than the team performed well in games that they started, so then why bother naming a winning and losing pitcher? Wily has been very valuable for the Brewers in 2014 whether he is called a 22-game winner or 8-game winner.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wily could not give up a single earned run until next April and not win another game. It's such an outdated and worthless stat that I don't see the value in being called a 20-game winner. As others have pointed out, it takes a team to win a game (bullpen, run support, etc) that I'm not sure why MLB even needs to declare a winning/losing pitcher along with the save stat. Pitchers get wins for giving up 7 runs and get losses for not giving up a single earned run. It's not really indicative of anything other than the team performed well in games that they started, so then why bother naming a winning and losing pitcher? Wily has been very valuable for the Brewers in 2014 whether he is called a 22-game winner or 8-game winner.

To illustrate......... Gallardo has been similar to or better than Peralta by almost any measure you can imagine. Same Era. Better FIP. More K/9, Lower WHIP....... and in the same number of starts Gallardo has 7 wins, to Peralta's 14. Wins are almost ENTIRELY a luck based stat.

Wily could not give up a single earned run until next April and not win another game. It's such an outdated and worthless stat that I don't see the value in being called a 20-game winner.

You may not see the value, but I bet his agent does. That's why it matters.

I agree that it will come down to run support, but Fernandomania won an NL best 21 games in 1986, the same year his hermano Mexicano Teddy Higuera won 20.

even though the stat isn't that important, it would still be pretty cool to see a brewer make headlines for something that doesn't happen too often. i think he can do it.

4 games against the Cubs and Pirates, teams that the Brewers own.

1 game against the Marlins.

if he sweeps that puts him at 19. he would just need to find 1 more win against SF, STL, and Cin. tough but very possible.

I know it's fashionable to hate on Chris Carpenter around these parts, but he also won the Cy Young that year. Are Cy Young awards useless too then?

Yeah, pretty much. He beat out Clemens that year purely because he had more Wins.

Pitcher wins are fairly meaningless, but it's still pretty neat to get to 20.
I understand that the 20 win stat is like RBI's. A lot depends on other factors. But which would one rather have? A 15 game winner with a 2.75 ERA or a 20 game winner with ANY old ERA?

Pitcher wins are fairly meaningless, but it's still pretty neat to get to 20.
I understand that the 20 win stat is like RBI's. A lot depends on other factors. But which would one rather have? A 15 game winner with a 2.75 ERA or a 20 game winner with ANY old ERA?

It just doesn't mean what it used to. I didn't even remember that Capuano won 18 games and likely won't remember Peralta's W-L record 18 months from now. The only thing I'll remember is did he get outs in August and September when it mattered most.

Archived