Brewer Fanatic

Going to a game live vs watching at home

TURBO
Regarding fan etiquette, Wrigly is much worse. Seems like most of the fans there could care less about baseball. They are there to be seen, and be able to say they were at Wrigley. Lst few times I've been there a good portion of my section were standing in the aisles, getting up and down 500 times an inning, taking selfies, etc. It's ridiculous.

At least at Miller Park it's not that bad. Cost is my biggest factor. I'm too old to want to go to game and sit in bad seats, rather be at home. Which means I have to pay a lot for even decent seats, and that has really limited the number of games I attend. But hey, they're doing great with attendance so they obviously don't need me to be there.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I still think Terrace Box seats are the best deal in the park. $25ish bucks each and you get a great view of the games, and you're in the first 4 rows so people's movements don't bother you nearly as much.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

At both Miller Park and Wrigley, the number of people around you who are there to watch the game vs party/socialize/hang out etc is highly dependent on where you're sitting. In general the areas with more season ticket holders (i.e., the seats closer to home plate / in lower rows in a given pricing level) have more people there who are more focused on the game than other distractions.

I will also add that everyone has their own preferences on when they want to go to games, where they want to sit, and how much they want to spend. If you figure out those three things for yourself then you'll always be able to find seats for a good value relative to what you want (whether that be via buying/splitting a season ticket package with someone, buying single-game tickets from the Brewers at full-price or as part of a promotion, or buying tickets on the secondary market). Sometimes it takes a little bit of time and effort but there are always relative "deals" out there.

I can still remember going to my first game at County Stadium back in 1978. Milwaukee was a four hour bus ride with a bunch of my dad's friends at that time, but I can recall the smell of the grills firing in the parking lot. The 78 team was one of the first rosters with some real talent on it and it was a foretaste of good things to come in 1981 and 1982.

I had the pleasure of taking my kids to their first game at Miller Park on August 10th. My daughter is 9 and my son is 7. The trip is a three hour mini van ride and they have the convenience of watching "The Sandlot" dvd during the trip. We didn't fire the grill but we packed a lunch in the cooler and walked around the Uecker lot to let them experience the sights and the smells of the Brewer tailgate crowd.

We weren't sure if they could sit still for three hours so we broke them in with a minor league game in Cedar Rapids last year. We learned that if you put some popcorn in front of them they could even make it into extra innings. They had a blast in the kids zone and were fine with the terrace cheap seats, as they had a good view of Bernie's chalet.

My son wanted to know if Benny "the Jet" Rodriguez still played for the Dodgers. When Weeks broke for home on Segura's botched squeeze attempt, he yelled that he was stealing home like Benny the Jet did in the movie. He said he might like the Dodgers after the game, which is typical of a seven year old kid that favors the team the wins. I told him, however, that we beat Kershaw last night and he is back on the Brewer bandwagon.

The trips to the live games are what you make of them. We are in it for a lifetime, so I'm not going to let the hassle of getting out of the parking lot put a damper on a day with the family. My daughter wasn't even two when she blew chow all over the car as we pulled into the parking lot in 2007. We might have missed two innings cleaning up, but I remember Chris Barnwell's hit and a Rickie Weeks shot off of Joel Zumaya just as well.

Personally, I like the Brewers both at home, and on the road to Miller Park. After last Sunday, the kids are hooked, too.

Go Brewers

My 11 year old is a hardcore Baseball fan and player and a big Brewers fan. Going to Miller Park 5-6 times a year as a family is a lot of fun for us.... the hassles as described above are real but the fun of going to the games with my kid outweigh that....
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Archived