Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-11 Brewers (Gallardo) at Cubs (Arrieta), 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 3-1]

TooLiveBrew
He's OPS'ing .834 and is on pace for less than 20 HR's. That's not Ryan Braun. That's a decent year for Kevin Mench back in the day. It's getting frustrating, especially with the magnitude of the new deal we signed him to

Mench had 1 almost full season with an OPS over .834 in 2004 when he put up a .874 over 481 plate appearances. That was good for an OPS+ of 116.

Braun's .834 OPS this year is good for a 130 OPS+ as it is markedly more difficult to hit now than it was ten years ago.

Braun at his very worst following a month long slump is still signficantly better than Mench was at his very best.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looked possibly safe, but I'm thinking he might have gotten a nick or brush tag on the rear. He didn't seem upset about the call or surprised when it wasn't overturned. I think he would know better than anyone and to me he didn't give an impression of a guy who thought he was safe.

He's OPS'ing .834 and is on pace for less than 20 HR's. That's not Ryan Braun. That's a decent year for Kevin Mench back in the day. It's getting frustrating, especially with the magnitude of the new deal we signed him to

Mench had 1 almost full season with an OPS over .834 in 2004 when he put up a .874 over 481 plate appearances. That was good for an OPS+ of 116.

Braun's .834 OPS this year is good for a 130 OPS+ as it is markedly more difficult to hit now than it was ten years ago.

Braun at his very worst following a month long slump is still signficantly better than Mench was at his very best.

Braun's season at this point is certainly not "significantly better" than a season with 26 HR's and a .874 OPS. I probably should have more accurately stated that's a "great" year for Kevin Mench back in the day.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Braun's season at this point is certainly not "significantly better" than a season with 26 HR's and a .874 OPS. I probably should have more accurately stated that's a "great" year for Kevin Mench back in the day.

Ok, so Mench's best year was marginally better than Ryan Braun's worst year. Which could be better if he heats up. Let's not forget Braun has been battling a thumb injury and an oblique injury, both of which will definitely impact how he swings the bat, and his power.

Braun is currently 34rd in wRC+, in 2004 (once you lower the plate appearance threshold so that he qualifies) Mench was 66th. Whether that difference is significant or not is a matter of semantics but either way, even Mench's best season was worse than what Braun is doing currently.

Respectfully...my whole point is that for what we expect from Ryan Braun, he is having a disappointing season. Not to debate whether or not Braun's worst is better than Mench's career years or not. Which of course I was doing myself as well. But I only used him to make a point.

Anybody else having issues with the FS Wisconsin feed?

Yes, it currently contains Davey Nelson babbling about everything except the fact that our hitters should be dressed in motley tonight because they look like total fools.

Archived