Brewer Fanatic

September 2014 call-ups (Nelson, Schafer, Pagnozzi, Rogers, Clark, Gómez called up; Garza, Wang activated)

docduany
at this point I would probably activate/recall:

Wooten

Wang

Blazek

Pena

Rogers

Gindl/Schafer (Gindl if prioritize offense, Schafer if want speed/D)

I could also see Josh Prince's contract being purchased for base running and versatility

Confused about the Gindl/Schafer comment. Gindl's been bad all year, and worse in the last month, hitting just .180 since the break. Meanwhile Schafer's been on an offensive tear lately.

I see Blazek, Wooten, Rogers, and Schafer and that's it. If healthy Bianchi will be back too. Wang will have a nice view from the pen also but won't be used under any circumstances the rest of the way unless its and inning or two after they clinch.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question would be what is the technicalities for a guy that is injured being put on the 60 day DL by the team to open up a 40 man roster spot, and getting them off the MLB pay and service time clock? Does the team just takes them off the 60 day DL after the season is over and puts them back on the regular 40 man roster, regardless of where their health progress is at? Do they have to pass a physical? In other words if they put a player on the 60 man DL and it takes longer to get healthy than surmised, could it cost the Brewers MLB pay and service time next season? In which case it may not be wise to put those pitchers on the 60 day DL.

All players are taken off of all DLs - 15 and 60 - at the end of the season. The 40-man roster has to be set by a certain date prior to the Rule 5 draft and it can only be 40 players regardless of whether they are injured or not. A player would have to be kept on the 40-man roster over the winter and then put on the DL at the end of spring training next year in order to accrue ML service time/pay next year.

You have to pay each callup about $50,000 for the month in salary plus travel costs. Might sound like chump change in mlb but its enough to consider for guys who will never play.

there is a spot open on the 40-man right now, but if additional spots are needed, and the brewers don't want to risk losing anyone else in the organization, the brewers could recall johnny hellweg, hiram burgos or brooks hall and transfer any of them to the 60-day disabled list.

thus, to bring up any other players beyond one not currently on the 40-man, the brewers could essentially be paying double ($100,000) for that player ($50,000 plus travel costs for the healthy player, and $50,000 for the injured player). this is of course, assuming that 40-man roster room is created via transfers to the 60-day disabled list of players currently optioned to the minors.

dang rogers is mashing in AAA since being called up, .313/.362/.912 in 44 games, gotta bring the boy up to the bigs in September, see whatcha got in him at 26!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

dang rogers is mashing in AAA since being called up, .313/.362/.912 in 44 games, gotta bring the boy up to the bigs in September, see whatcha got in him at 26!

Given the big league success of two other "under the expert radar" Brewer products, Davis and Gennett, I think it's a fair question whether they have another one the experts overlooked in Rogers. These guys were all toiling in a Brewer farm system when it was rated at the bottom.

I agree, and thats why I really dont care much at all about prospect rankings or farm system rankings

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Given the big league success of two other "under the expert radar" Brewer products, Davis and Gennett, I think it's a fair question whether they have another one the experts overlooked in Rogers. These guys were all toiling in a Brewer farm system when it was rated at the bottom.

I don't think it's fair to say that Rodgers was "under the experts" radar, as if he was some hidden gem we knew about and they didn't. He was a 32nd round pick, and has been old for the leagues he's been in all the way up the ladder. He's been good, not great, and only the last few years has he started showing the power that you'd think a guy his size would display.

I hope Rogers turns into something. I always like looking back at the posts from our minor league experts on when he was drafted. In the case of Scooter and Khris, they were drafted in the 16th round and 7th round respectively. But 32 round for Jason? Maybe it was because he was a Junior and some teams thought he would go back for his senior season. Here are some posts (Thanks ColbyJack and MaasHaas)

viewtopic.php?p=520062#p520062

viewtopic.php?p=614332#p614332

viewtopic.php?p=614522#p614522

I don't think it's fair to say that Rodgers was "under the experts" radar, as if he was some hidden gem we knew about and they didn't. He was a 32nd round pick, and has been old for the leagues he's been in all the way up the ladder. He's been good, not great, and only the last few years has he started showing the power that you'd think a guy his size would display. I'

He can only do what he can do at the level he's assigned to. Typically 32nd rounders aren't given any benefit of the doubt. They have to produce to have a job from year to year. No, he didn't put up monster numbers but he always made decent contact, took his walks, and hit for average. Relating his size to his power isn't really fair. Some big guys just aren't naturally huge home run hitters. That doesn't make them bad offensive players. He doesn't project to strike out 175 times a year either.

The fact is he was under everyone's radar, and now that he's raking at AAA after making the transition to 3B, he's now someone worth paying attention to regardless of his age who could be a major contributor ala Gennett and Davis at the major league level and fairly soon.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The fact is he was under everyone's radar, and now that he's raking at AAA after making the transition to 3B, he's now someone worth paying attention to regardless of his age who could be a major contributor ala Gennett and Davis at the major league level and fairly soon.

I think you missed my point. WHen someone is a 32nd rounder, there's a reason, or more likely, a lot of reasons. We can't even say "The Brewers saw something no one else did", or he'd probably have been snatched before the 32nd round, or he'd have progressed through the system faster, or something.

There seems to be this bug on this board where everyone feels like our system is 'dissed' by the 'experts', and it's always punctuated by quotation marks around the word 'experts'. People feel like we've proven the "experts" wrong by hitting big on Davis. He's not that big of a sleeper, he was a 7th round pick. He's also not overproducing. He's a .780-ish OPS guy, who's producing using the one + tool he has (power).

Experts aren't going to look at 32nd round guys putting up decent numbers at leagues that they're too old for and say "oh that guy's raking, we have this team ranked too low in the prospect rankings". Brewer fans had it good for so long with top ranked prospects, I find it silly that people get their feathers ruffled over prospect rankings when we're (rightfully) ranked in the bottom third for a number of years.

I don't get why people get upset when somebody factually states that someone is underrated and flew under the radar. The experts were wrong, no reason to take it as a personal attack against you. Rogers will be a major league player and hopefully productive for the Brewers.

I know he's not on the 40 right now, but what about Matt Clark? He's been raking all year. Has huge power. I'd rather have him than Morris. I think he'd be a fantastic bat to have off the bench in September.

I know he's not on the 40 right now, but what about Matt Clark? He's been raking all year. Has huge power. I'd rather have him than Morris. I think he'd be a fantastic bat to have off the bench in September.

Without knowing anything about Clark, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten any shot in the majors after looking at his stats. He's consistently at .270+ BA, .360+ OBP and a home run total above 20. His lowest OPS since being promoted to AAA in 2011 is .861

Without knowing anything about Clark, I'm surprised he hasn't gotten any shot in the majors after looking at his stats. He's consistently at .270+ BA, .360+ OBP and a home run total above 20. His lowest OPS since being promoted to AAA in 2011 is .861

Careful reading too much into those stats. Clark's played almost exclusively in hitters leagues in hitter's havens: Lake Elsinore, San Antonio, and two years at Tucson. What he's doing this year is nice but it's hardly spectacular for a 27 year old.

Still, he's got some attractive attributes. A lefty bench bat, but one that hits lefties almost as equally as well as righties. Power, and a good on-base percentage. If you're just looking for a September bench bat, you could do a lot worse.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Clark is the next Joey Votto. But regardless of the park effects I would agree with the poster who finds it surprising that a 27 year old first baseman who has been in AAA/Japan since 2011 and has not OPS'ed less than .861 in AAA has never even gotten a single AB at the major league level. Surely there are less productive hitters that have gotten a cup of coffee in MLB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Clark is the next Joey Votto. But regardless of the park effects I would agree with the poster who finds it surprising that a 27 year old first baseman who has been in AAA/Japan since 2011 and has not OPS'ed less than .861 in AAA has never even gotten a single AB at the major league level. Surely there are less productive hitters that have gotten a cup of coffee in MLB.

A lot of that is a function of who's ahead of you. In SD first it was Adrian Gonzalez. Then for a while it was Anthony Rizzo. Just as Clark's time would have come in 2012 they got Yonder Alonso as the centerpiece of the Mat Latos trade. Clark just wasn't as highly thought of as Alonso and you aren't going to have him on the bench.

Matt Clark was discussed in the Minor League thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=31583

His home and away splits are pretty high. 900+ OPS at home and 700 on road.

Not any more - .975 and .996. Dude's been on a tear.

While Nashville is in the PCL, it isn't the launching pads that Colorado Springs, Reno, Las Vegas, and other Western Division teams are. Plenty of humidity in Nashville to deaden the balls; I think it's a fairly neutral park. I'd argue the best PH bat they could bring up, certainly from the LH side.

On a side note, Logan Schafer has a .815 OPS and .370 OBP since being sent down. Irregular playing time, along with being asked to bunt frequently, made his stats make him appear worse than he really is.

I'm sure the Brewers would like to retain Clark but with a minor league deal and an invite to major league spring training where I think he'd have a realistic shot at a roster spot. They could add him to the 40 man at the expense of Morris I suppose but I'm sure they wouldn't have both on 40 man. Not sure there are any clubs out there willing to sign him to a major league deal considering his age and the fact he has zero major league experience. If you are Clark, the Brewers probably offer as good an opportunity to get to the big leagues as anywhere else.

On a side note, Logan Schafer has a .815 OPS and .370 OBP since being sent down. Irregular playing time, along with being asked to bunt frequently, made his stats make him appear worse than he really is.

No, what that says is that you should heavily discount guys in their late 20s putting up good numbers in the PCL, i.e. Rogers and Clark. Schafer was terrible last year and was terrible this year.

No, what that says is that you should heavily discount guys in their late 20s putting up good numbers in the PCL, i.e. Rogers and Clark. Schafer was terrible last year and was terrible this year.

Rogers and Clark shouldn't be discounted simply because Schafer is no good. That duo's stats are on a different spectrum. In the same time frame that Schafer put up a rather pedestrian 815 OPS, they OPSed over 1.100 and over 1.200 respectively. Rogers has a history of strong finishes. They're earning their oppurtunity, something Schafer was given by default, and predictably failed with. Clark could be the next Garret Jones or Mike Carp, which would be an upgrade to our present situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Clark's numbers have been impressive this year, but it's still under 200 PA at Nashville and he's had two full prior seasons at this level. Rogers' AAA sample size is still small, but considering this is his first taste of AAA, it's impressive. Being drafted where he was, he was never going to be on a fast track but he's hit every where including in the FSL in 2012. I like that for guys with power, neither Clark nor Rogers strike out at huge rates. That indicates to me their floor in the big leagues might be acceptable even if their ceilings aren't all that high.

with the sounds' elimination number at three, i'm hoping they are eliminated as early as tomorrow (doubleheader tomorrow). elimination from the playoffs on 30 august means more players available on 1 september (with travel on 31 august to chicago).

Archived