Brewer Fanatic

September 2014 call-ups (Nelson, Schafer, Pagnozzi, Rogers, Clark, Gómez called up; Garza, Wang activated)

docduany
Can the team shift Hellweg, Morris and Burgos to the 60-day DL? If so, that opens some other potential slots.

yes. but any of those players would first have to be activated from the minor league disabled list, recalled by the brewers, and then placed on the 60-day disabled list. any of those players would then be earning major league service time and major league pay.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nashville, like milwaukee, is currently leading its division. players will be needed for the playoff pushes of both teams. fortunately, the pacific coast league postseason doesn't last too deep into september, so additional players may come to the brewers when the pcl run ends.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can the team shift Hellweg, Morris and Burgos to the 60-day DL? If so, that opens some other potential slots.

yes. but any of those players would first have to be activated from the minor league disabled list, recalled by the brewers, and then placed on the 60-day disabled list. any of those players would then be earning major league service time and major league pay.

Thank you.

Not to be a dink, but since Nashville is canning the Crew as a minor league affiliate next season, they can take a hike for all I care. We've played in that dump of a stadium for years and when a new building is ready we're banished to freaking Fresno (or Reno, I can't remember what launching pad we're ending up at). Not to mention, the big club is always the priority. I hope the Brewers bring up everyone they can. Robert's point about extra inning games and in game changes seem to make too much sense not to take advantage of.

Not to be a dink, but since Nashville is canning the Crew as a minor league affiliate next season, they can take a hike for all I care. We've played in that dump of a stadium for years and when a new building is ready we're banished to freaking Fresno (or Reno, I can't remember what launching pad we're ending up at). Not to mention, the big club is always the priority. I hope the Brewers bring up everyone they can. Robert's point about extra inning games and in game changes seem to make too much sense not to take advantage of.

I admit to not being fully current on the tribulations of that relationship, but I think it's more the case that the Brewers are moving on from the partnership, not the other way around.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I admit to not being fully current on the tribulations of that relationship, but I think it's more the case that the Brewers are moving on from the partnership, not the other way around.

This thread would seem to lean that Nashville was the one that wanted out. So, yeah, screw em.

viewtopic.php?p=905946#p905946

the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of jeff bianchi moved to the 60-day disabled list or released, and the contract of eugenio velez purchased.

he allows the brewers to comfortably use rickie weeks, scooter gennett or gerardo parra early in a game as a pinch hitter, as he can play their positions. he's been hitting well at aaa, and has mlb experience.

also, if the brewers purchase the contract of a third catcher, velez could be used as a pinch runner when jonathan lucroy or martin maldonado reach base late in the game.

the more i think about it, the more i like the idea of jeff bianchi moved to the 60-day disabled list or released, and the contract of eugenio velez purchased.

he allows the brewers to comfortably use rickie weeks, scooter gennett or gerardo parra early in a game as a pinch hitter, as he can play their positions. he's been hitting well at aaa, and has mlb experience.

also, if the brewers purchase the contract of a third catcher, velez could be used as a pinch runner when jonathan lucroy or martin maldonado reach base late in the game.

I'm with you on this. He's been the most consistent hitter in Nashville all season. He deserves it. He's 32 years old, so he knows time is not his friend and knows he must perform. He's got a good eye, and he's fast.

I have been calling for Velez called up for months :( GENNNNO

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Is there any reason in a September race, and you have an open roster spot, that you wouldn't sign and bring in the fastest guy possible. I would think there would be a situation later in games where a guy with blazing speed would become extremely useful for pinch running purposes. I know it sounds dumb but I would think that it would make more sense to get a guy like that instead a fourth lefty or whoever else they are bringing up for mop-up duty.

Is there any reason in a September race, and you have an open roster spot, that you wouldn't sign and bring in the fastest guy possible. I would think there would be a situation later in games where a guy with blazing speed would become extremely useful for pinch running purposes. I know it sounds dumb but I would think that it would make more sense to get a guy like that instead a fourth lefty or whoever else they are bringing up for mop-up duty.

I don't know, but I submit that I would very much like to watch the spectacle of Johnny Davis racing around from first to home.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What's Mel Stocker up to these days? :)

Thank you.

And five weeks of major league pay at league minimum salary isn't worth a pennant chase?

What's Mel Stocker up to these days? :)

That was my thought exactly when I read that post!

There's a risk to taking a bat out of a lineup for in a close game. You could end up with pop gun offense if a game goes extras. Selectively it can work but knowing Roenicke's penchant for overdoing something like that, I'm not sure I'd want to do it.

Count me as being in favor of adding as many guys to the roster as possible. I know that it's not RR or DM's preferred way of doing things, and that DM has gone so far as to speak publicly about the need for MLB to change roster expansion rules, but I think that they have got to have as many options as possible in both late-inning or extra inning games and in blow outs where we can spell starters for a few innings. Tony La Russa really utilized this during Septembers past with the StL to their benefit. Any time that you can add depth for a playoff push it's a no-brainer imho.

at this point I would probably activate/recall:

Wooten

Wang

Blazek

Pena

Rogers

Gindl/Schafer (Gindl if prioritize offense, Schafer if want speed/D)

I could also see Josh Prince's contract being purchased for base running and versatility

I'd also consider former top prospect Jeremy Hermida. While he's older than Gindl, he might be a better 4th OF next year than Schafer, Parra, or Gindl. He's lefty, plays good D, has some speed and some pop, and has MLB experience

I'd also consider former top prospect Jeremy Hermida. While he's older than Gindl, he might be a better 4th OF next year than Schafer, Parra, or Gindl. He's lefty, plays good D, has some speed and some pop, and has MLB experience

I know it seems like he still should have power, but Hermida's line so far this year against RHP in the hitter-friendly PCL is only .247/.369/.409/.778. Doesn't look like he's got a whole lot of pop left.

When you are in a playoff chase and have a roster as constrained as what the Brewers have, is there any reason to not err on the side of calling up too many guys as opposed to not enough? There is the financial aspect but would have to imagine that Mark A is willing to spend extra even if its a couple hundred thousand to improve their playoff chances. Is there any other legitimate reason to not call guys up?

When you are in a playoff chase and have a roster as constrained as what the Brewers have, is there any reason to not err on the side of calling up too many guys as opposed to not enough? There is the financial aspect but would have to imagine that Mark A is willing to spend extra even if its a couple hundred thousand to improve their playoff chances. Is there any other legitimate reason to not call guys up?

Doug said it would ruin team chemistry last time they were in a playoff chase. Which sounds like a bunch of bologna to me.

Thank you.

And five weeks of major league pay at league minimum salary isn't worth a pennant chase?

Who said that? Strawman approaching.

My question would be what is the technicalities for a guy that is injured being put on the 60 day DL by the team to open up a 40 man roster spot, and getting them off the MLB pay and service time clock? Does the team just takes them off the 60 day DL after the season is over and puts them back on the regular 40 man roster, regardless of where their health progress is at? Do they have to pass a physical? In other words if they put a player on the 60 man DL and it takes longer to get healthy than surmised, could it cost the Brewers MLB pay and service time next season? In which case it may not be wise to put those pitchers on the 60 day DL.

Archived