Brewer Fanatic

September 2014 call-ups (Nelson, Schafer, Pagnozzi, Rogers, Clark, Gómez called up; Garza, Wang activated)

docduany

There is a lot going on when you look at the 40 man roster with respect to call ups. The 40 man is currently full. Lots of questions. This thread gets jumbled. I apologize.

-Thornburg and Henderson are both on the 60 day DL. It doesn't sound optimistic that either will be healthy again this season. Since they are already on the 60 day DL they're not counting against the 40 man roster. But someone would need to be removed to activate them in that remote scenario.

-Hiram Burgos, Brooks Hall, & Johnny Hellweg are all injured and on the 40 man roster. It would seem that makes 3 spots available to call up other players by placing these 3 on the 60 day DL. But other posters have stated that placing these players on the DL has some other repercussions with service time? I don't know. Does it really matter if that's the case? None of the 3 are can't miss prospects.

-Logan Schaffer is on the 40 man and should be called up. I would guess that Rob Wooten and Michael Blazek would also be called up due to their 40 man status. Caleb Gindl and Alfredo Figaro are both on the 40 man and could also be brought up. But are there more useful bench options for their roster spots? With the 3 minor league pitchers and these two, there would be 5 open spots.

-Jason Rogers is on the 40 man and at AAA. Do you call him up? I don't believe he is ready, but can kind of provide coverage at 1st and some what at 3rd. (He has quite a few errors at 3rd this season between AA & AAA).

-Hunter Morris is on the 40 man. He is currently rehabbing at Arizona from a broken arm and should be healthy by September. He'll add a power type bat off the bench and passable D at 1st. You would think he gets the call.

- Do you activate the Wang? I would think not. What could he possibly bring to the table?

- When is Bianchi going to be healthy? If he's not going to be healthy you probably need to add Iriving Falu to the 40 man. On the 40 man roster thread it stated that Falu was on the 40 man, but according to Brewers.com and Espn.com that he's not currently.

-Josh Prince would seem to be quite useful. Formerly of the 40 man roster. He is a super utility player. All 3 outfield positions, for sure SS, 2nd, and I would guess 3rd. Plus he can fly. Most post season roster have a super fast pinch runner.

-Adam Weisenburger should be added as a 3rd catcher. Not much with the bat, but reportedly has MLB ready D.

-Dustin Molleken. Fireballer from AAA. Not great command but he has his fans.

-Jay Jackson, recently acquired from Pittsburgh for cash considerations. Don't know much about him. Reports say he has a plus fast ball and plus slider.

-Tim Dillard. Side winding righties can be effective as a ROOGY.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a lot going on when you look at the 40 man roster with respect to call ups. The 40 man is currently full.

- When is Bianchi going to be healthy? If he's not going to be healthy you probably need to add Iriving Falu to the 40 man. On the 40 man roster thread it stated that Falu was on the 40 man, but according to Brewers.com and Espn.com that he's not currently.

falu was outrighted just a few days ago, so the roster is at 39. bianchi is a likely candidate to be transferred to the 60-day disabled list to open up another spot on the 40-man.

we'll likely see bianchi transferred to the 60-day disabled list before we see johnny hellweg, hiram burgos or brooks hall recalled and placed on the 60-day disabled list.

The Brewers have been cautious in the past with call-ups. Wooten is definite as would Schafer and Weisenburg (even if he doesn't play it is smart to let your 3rd catcher for next year get familiar with the pitchers), after that I think it is hard to say. Morris maybe if he can show something the next couple of weeks. I'd like to see Rogers rewarded after a solid season. I'd think Gindl is pretty likely as well since he has been up.

Wang got torched last time out in single A...that guy has no business near our roster for the next 3 years. DM and RR are idiots if they facilitate him back up here again.

What's the big deal? The minor league season will pretty much be over.

-Jason Rogers is on the 40 man and at AAA. Do you call him up? I don't believe he is ready, but can kind of provide coverage at 1st and some what at 3rd. (He has quite a few errors at 3rd this season between AA & AAA).

He's only got 9 RBI's and counting today, in two games, but still. I honestly think JRog can play first base and have the same, if not better output than what we've been getting from there RIGHT NOW.

Also, if Cravy comes back strong and is throwing how he was earlier this year, I say put him on the 40-man. From what I saw of him he has major league ready stuff, and our bull-pen can use all the help it can get.

If the Brewers lose one extra inning game because they run out of pinch-hitters or relief pitchers it will be inexcusable. Bring up anyone and everyone they can. Doesn't matter if they play or not, it's an insurance policy against a 19-inning game, of which there have been two this weekend.

Forgot about Prince - good chance he gets added to the 40-man, especially if Bianchi is out for the year. Surprised they dropped Falu... unless there is a waiver claim trade in the works.

Wang got torched last time out in single A...that guy has no business near our roster for the next 3 years. DM and RR are idiots if they facilitate him back up here again.

Giving up 2 ER is getting torched? Only 3 innings, but still wouldn't call it torched.

4 hits in 3 innings, all singles and 1 was infield.

If the Brewers lose one extra inning game because they run out of pinch-hitters or relief pitchers it will be inexcusable. Bring up anyone and everyone they can. Doesn't matter if they play or not, it's an insurance policy against a 19-inning game, of which there have been two this weekend.

I very much agree with this ^^^^^. The guys who can contribute at MLB level (in any form) are clearly: Gindl, Schaffer, Wooten, Figaro, Wang

And I guess you get Falu with a 40 man free up somehow. And Wiesenburger as the emergency catch.

I imagine quite a bit pending how the Sounds do in the playoffs. Wooten, Figaro, Blazek, Gindl, Schafer, Rogers, Gomez, Wiesenburger all at some point in September. I guess Wang as well but he is not really a call up but a guy coming back from the DL.

If the Brewers lose one extra inning game because they run out of pinch-hitters or relief pitchers it will be inexcusable. Bring up anyone and everyone they can.

Doesn't seem to be the way that Melvin works. I assume Figaro, Wooten, Fiers, Schafer, Bianchi (injury status?) and one of Morris/Rogers - which is quite a bit more than Melvin usually brings up. But all of these guys other than Morris/Rogers have been up already this year.

I don't see Blazek coming up if the Brewers lose any future flexibility as he hasn't been up at all this year. And if you assume Garza, Wang and possibly Henderson/Thornburg are back by then, they should have the pen covered.

how many days does a player have to play prior to Sept 1st to be eligible for the playoffs? im thinking about Fiers, and if Garza gets back in the rotation before Aug 31, if they send Fiers back to AAA will he have had enough games in the MLB to be on the playoff roster when they expand and he gets brought back up? is there a possibility they just never send him back down and send someone else? or that Garza doesnt come back before Sept 1?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I don't see Blazek coming up if the Brewers lose any future flexibility as he hasn't been up at all this year.

future flexibility with what? it shouldn't be future flexibility with minor league options as 2014 was his second year of minor league options. if he's recalled before the end of this season, he'll still have one minor league option year remaining in 2015.

I don't see Blazek coming up if the Brewers lose any future flexibility as he hasn't been up at all this year.

future flexibility with what? it shouldn't be future flexibility with minor league options as 2014 was his second year of minor league options. if he's recalled before the end of this season, he'll still have one minor league option year remaining in 2015.

That is why I said if. I haven't figured out how options worked (haven't tried), but I know they are out there and if bringing up Blazek would effect the Brewers ability to bring him up and down in some future year, I don't see Melvin bringing him up.

And even if that is not a concern, chances are still good he would not get called up as Melvin doesn't typically bring up a bunch of guys. You figure he brings up Figaro, Wooten, Fiers before Blazek, so assuming a couple of Garza, Henderson, Thornburg (and Wang) are active, they wouldn't bring up any more. Personally, I would bring him up. That would just allow the Brewers to really go righty/lefty with the three lefties in the pen.

A September call-up wouldn't affect future minor league options as Blazek has already used this year's option.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

They only bring up 3 or 4 each year so I will be with Schafer, Wang, Bianchi, and a pitcher.

Basically how I see it. No need to bring up a bunch of mediocre arms and utility guys. Wang, because they have to. Then Schafer, Bianchi (or Bianchi type), Rogers (big PH bat) and one other pitcher (looking like Pena at the moment.) If either Henderson or Thorny can come back and be effective that would be a huge bonus.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

In a playoff race the extra guys are really nice to have - especially pitchers. Wooten, Pena, Blazek and Figaro are all on the 40-man roster, so you bring them up.

We already have three quality lefties, and the extra arms allows you to do a lot situational moves. Personally, I hate all the extra guys because it slows down games, but you're foolish to waste the opportunity.

As for hitters, Schafer, Gindl and Rogers are all available, so bring 'em up.

With the open roster spot, I bet they bring in another catcher. Perhaps Pagnozzi or Weisenburger - or maybe a veteran who's out of work. But it's a wise move to have that third catcher.

Can the team shift Hellweg, Morris and Burgos to the 60-day DL? If so, that opens some other potential slots.

Hermida would be a decent left handed PH guy. You could add Falu or Velez to pinch run.

In a playoff race, I say you use all your resources. I know it clutters the clubhouse, but I think that the options are nice to have.

Archived