Brewer Fanatic

D'Vontrey Richardson?

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Nobody knows anything?

That's one way of putting it. The nature and/or severity of his injury, as is often the case for non-40 man roster players (unless injured in a specific play on the field), has not been released, at least online or in print.

He's been sidelined since July 12th, and recently turned 26. This was to be his year to shine, and although July was going well, 2014 certainly hadn't been overall.

We'll see if we can learn more, we often don't like to put those who may be in the know, in the position to comment, as they often must abide by privacy policies as well.

D'Vontrey was hit by a pitch on the wrist area on July 11th and exited the game immediately. Not sure what the extent of the injury is but I saw him in the dugout wearing a cast/wrap of some sort on his left arm during one of the games I watched on milb.tv

Huntsville Top of the 6th

Pitching Change: Juan Ramon Noriega replaces Jarret Martin, batting 2nd, replacing left fielder Bobby Coyle.

Noel Cuevas remains in the game as the left fielder.

Robinzon Diaz pops out to first baseman O'Koyea Dickson.

Hainley Statia homers (2) on a fly ball to right field.

Pitching Change: Blake Smith replaces Juan Ramon Noriega, batting 2nd.

D' Vontrey Richardson hit by pitch.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-runner Erik Komatsu replaces D' Vontrey Richardson.

Josh Prince called out on strikes.

Yadiel Rivera doubles (4) on a line drive to left fielder Noel Cuevas. Erik Komatsu to 3rd.

Offensive Substitution: Pinch-hitter Shea Vucinich replaces Jacob Barnes.

Shea Vucinich called out on strikes.

• 5 months later...
reillymcshane, my only concern is...why rush him? I look at Nelson Cruz, Jose Bautista, Jose Guillen, etc. These are guys that became stud hitters around age 30 after flaming out, sometimes with multiple clubs. I hate branding a prospect by their age. Yes, if they do great at age 22 that's wonderful. But if it's not until age 29, then so be it. You can still get good years out of them

reillymcshane, my only concern is...why rush him? I look at Nelson Cruz, Jose Bautista, Jose Guillen, etc. These are guys that became stud hitters around age 30 after flaming out, sometimes with multiple clubs. I hate branding a prospect by their age. Yes, if they do great at age 22 that's wonderful. But if it's not until age 29, then so be it. You can still get good years out of them

40 man roster spots are still pretty valuable and the Brewers will have to make some tough choices the next couple of years. It is more giving Richardson his opportunity to show something versus rushing him. Move up or move out.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

40 man roster spots are still pretty valuable and the Brewers will have to make some tough choices the next couple of years. It is more giving Richardson his opportunity to show something versus rushing him. Move up or move out.

Next year at AA we'll likely have Reed, Taylor and Roche. I'd hate for Richardson (or any of the other guys) to be a part timer. The guy needs repetitions.

Also, D'Vo, if he can step up his game next year, would be primed to help the big league team in 2016. Next year's backup outfielders are likely Parra and Schafer (or perhaps Peterson). In 2016, Parra will (likely) be gone. Schafer (potentially) starts becoming arbitration eligible - and more expensive (and if he plays badly in 2015, he probably won't be around). D'Vo could be a candidate to make the team as a reserve OF, especially with his ability to play CF (Wren is another guy who could fill this need).

I really just think opportunity is the best thing for D'Vo at this point. If it's AA, fine. The team has to make that call. D'Vo's only had 512 ABs over the last three years. Playing everyday is what he needs.

• 2 weeks later...
He needs to play everyday in centerfield. I am hoping for a great spring or a hot April and May to get him quickly to AAA. There is no doubt he can field the position and he has enough power for the position. The question is can he hit for any kind of average or take enough walks to get on base to use his speed. He is one of those guys that can make a walk into a double real quick.

• 1 month later...

Archived