Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-09 Dodgers (Greinke) at Brewers (Fiers), 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-1; Fiers 8.0 IP, 3 hits]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/dodgers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 9 | 6:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Dodgers (66-51) | Brewers (64-52)[/h2][h3]FSWI, MLBN | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/DD4GNTk.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/2exhOFU.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Zack Greinke[/pitcher][h2]12-7, 2.71 ERA, 1.14 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Greinke has lost three of his last four decisions, but he's 16-1 at Miller Park. The Angels ambushed him for four runs in the first inning, but he then allowed one hit in the next six innings.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Mike Fiers[/pitcher][h2]0-1, 2.57 ERA, 1.29 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Dodgers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Fiers will make his first Major League start of the season after accumulating a 9-5 record and 2.55 ERA in 17 starts at Triple-A Nashville. Fiers has 25 starts for Milwaukee over the past two seasons.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 2B Dee Gordon
  2. CF Yasiel Puig
  3. 1B Adrian Gonzalez
  4. RF Matt Kemp
  5. LF Carl Crawford
  6. 3B Juan Uribe
  7. C A.J. Ellis
  8. SS Miguel Rojas
  9. RHP Zack Greinke

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. C Jonathan Lucroy
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. 2B Scooter Gennett
  6. LF Khris Davis
  7. 1B Mark Reynolds
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Mike Fiers

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greinke, Fiers both making returns to Milwaukee

By Caitlin Swieca / MLB.com | 8/9/2014 2:11 AM ET

It'll be one old face and one new face on the Miller Park mound on Saturday, when Dodgers ace Zack Greinke takes on Brewers newcomer Mike Fiers in the second game of the weekend set between the first-place clubs.

Greinke, who pitched for the Brewers in 2011 and part of 2012 before being traded to the Angels, should feel right at home. His teams have a 25-2 record when he starts at Miller Park, though the Dodgers did lose his most recent start there, in 2013. Still, his 15-1 record and 3.10 career ERA in 25 regular-season appearances at the park aren't likely to give the Crew much confidence as they seek to defeat the Dodgers for the second straight night.

Greinke is coming off a start in which he allowed five runs to the Angels, though only three of them were earned. The Dodgers, though, took three of four from their crosstown rival and are looking to keep that trend going.

"We just had a good series against the Angels, and this is what we preach -- keep marching and turn the page," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "We can't have a letdown and get swept. The Brewers were one of the hottest teams early, had a lull, but rebounded. They showed they're not going anywhere. They come to L.A. on the next homestand, so we should have a nice home-and-home series."

The Brewers, meanwhile, will turn to Mike Fiers to fill the rotation spot vacated by Matt Garza, who is on the disabled list with a strained left oblique. Fiers made 22 starts with the Brewers in 2012 and three in 2013, and he's 8-5 this season in Triple-A Nashville, with a 2.55 ERA. He's recorded 129 strikeouts against only 17 walks.

"He's been pitching really well," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "When we brought him up a couple years ago, he was doing this. It's a different look. It's a guy that's got deception, got command, and his walk/strikeout rate is back to ridiculous."

Those numbers are what prompted the Brewers to bring up Fiers rather than call on Marco Estrada, who was in the rotation until being moved to the bullpen right before the All-Star break. They're hoping Fiers can recapture his early form of 2012, when he threw six or more innings while allowing two runs or fewer in 10 of his first 12 starts.

Dodgers: Beckett lands on disabled list again

Josh Beckett was placed on the 15-day DL on Friday because of a left hip impingement that has resulted in a torn labrum and two cysts.

Beckett went on the DL on July 7 for a stretch of rest, but since his return, the discomfort has prevented him from making quality pitches.

The only cure for a torn labrum is season-ending surgery and a three-month rehab.

Mattingly put the most optimistic spin on the injury, comparing it with a minor hip impingement that cost Clayton Kershaw one start in 2012.

Beckett's latest setback triggered the acquisition of Roberto Hernandez, who took Beckett's Friday start against the Brewers and allowed two runs over six innings.

Brewers: Crew being cautious with Lucroy's hamstring

Add catcher Jonathan Lucroy to the Brewers' list of walking wounded.

Lucroy is battling a minor strain of his right hamstring, an injury troubling enough to Roenicke and the team's medical staff that Lucroy was out of the opener of the weekend showdown.

"We were going to give him a day somewhere," Roenicke said. "He's got a little bit of a hamstring issue. It's there. I'm being cautious with it. I don't want him to miss time."

Worth noting

• At 15-6, the Brewers have the best record of any NL team against the NL West.

• Hanley Ramirez ranks fourth on the list of active batting leaders against Milwaukee who have at least 75 plate appearances. He's hitting .367 against the Crew lifetime.

• Over their past 17 starts, Brewers starting pitchers have put together a 2.58 ERA, with 14 quality outings.

Aramis Ramirez enters Saturday with a 10-game hitting streak.

Is this Zack Greinke's first time as an opponent at Miller Park?

He made 23 starts at Miller Park as a Brewer, & has 25 overall appearances (24 starts) at MP, per Baseball-Reference.

The MLB.com writeup (& blurb from the Game day preview that we use in the IGT lead posts), however, appear to be wrong. 25-2 in games Greinke starts at Miller Park... in 24 career MP starts. And the Gameday blurb further attributes the (seemingly incorrect) 25-2 mark as Greinke's W-L record, & not his teams' record in games he'd started.

I've tweeted to Caitlin Swieca for clarification, & will post here if I hear back.

-- EDIT: I missed ZG's two postseason starts at Miller Park in 2011. The 25-2 record cited is in his 27 total career appearances (not just starts) in Miller Park.

From TLB's story:

His teams have a 25-2 record when he starts at Miller Park, though the Dodgers did lose his most recent start there, in 2013.

And if I remember correctly, Mike Fiers got the win in that game (albeit in relief of Hiram Burgos).

Ding ding ding! Box score link.

Tell him what he's won! ... Well, ... nothing.

Caitlin's reply to my inquiry:

He's made 24 regular season starts, 1 regular season relief appearance, and 2 playoff starts at Miller Park.

So 25-2 includes every game he's pitched in. Should have specified regular season there - I will try to get that fixed. My bad.

accuracy is the most important thing

Greinke vs Brewers - this will be fun. Been a pretty packed house this week. Should easily eclipse 40,000 today (Greinke return + it being a Sat) and tomorrow (chorizo bobble) ... I love going to sold out games. Crowd gets electric - Go Brewers!!

Should've kept Herrera in the 8 hole with the lefty bat and then Segura play tomorrow vs. Kershaw. I know Seguras numbers are better afainst RHP but Herreras bat is better right now and he's pretty good on D.

Sure would be nice to knock Greinke around tonight.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'll never count the Cards out until they are officially eliminated but yeah it feels as though the Pirates are picking up steam.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Orioles are really good. Not sure what it says about the Cards, but it's nice to see their new pitching get knocked around.

This is true, but I think if they keep masterson and lackey in their rotation for the rest of the season it won't end well for them.

From the John & Cait... Plus Nine blog, former Brewers minor leaguer Josh Murray issues "The Ice Bucket Challenge" to Ryan Braun to raise awareness for ALS/Lou Gherig's Disease.

Direct link to the video on MLB.com

http://i.imgur.com/ckkc7ju.jpg

Ryan Braun prepares for the Ice Bucket Challenge.

Former Boston College baseball player Pete Frates was diagnosed with the disease in 2012, and Pete, along with fellow ALS patient Pat Quinn, began what is known as the “Ice Bucket Challenge” on their own social networks in late July to raise money and awareness for the disease with which approximately 5600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with each year and as many as 30,000 Americans may have at any given time (per the ALSA).

The challenge is quite simple: Fill up a bucket of ice water, as cold as you can get. Have someone record a video while you dump the bucket over your head. Then share on social media, issuing the challenge to three friends.

The challenge reached the Brewers when former Brewers prospect and recent winner of The Bachelorette, Josh Murray, issued the challenge to our own Ryan Braun.

Never one to back down from a challenge, Ryan accepted and issued the challenge to three more individuals…who just happen to be his teammates.

Mashable reports that the ALS Association has seen a fourfold increase in donations between July 26 and August 6 compared to the same time period in 2013. To learn more, click here.

Thank you, social media, Pete Frates, Pat Quinn, Josh Murray and Ryan Braun for helping #StrikeOutALS.

Here’s looking at you, Jonathan, Kyle and Carlos!

Scooter's quad must be ok to be in the lineup two days in a row. Especially when Weeks' play last night would give a good excuse to sit him.

Interesting that Overbay 9-26, 3 HR vs. Greinke, sits for Reynolds 1-6, 1 HR, and Parra 8-24, all singles sits for Davis (never faced). They combine for 17 hits in 50 ABs; the rest of the team combined has 10 in 37 ABs.

Archived