Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-08 Dodgers (Hernández) at Brewers (Lohse), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 9-3]

TooLiveBrew

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/dodgers.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 8 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Dodgers (66-50) | Brewers (63-52)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/jgdOHok.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/UhCSQQR.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][pitcher]Roberto Hernández[/pitcher][h2]6-8, 3.87 ERA, 1.35 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Hernández, acquired from Philly on Thursday, is getting thrown right into the mix for the Dodgers. His best stretch of the season has been his last four starts (1.88 ERA & .465 OPS allowed), including eight strong innings at Washington last Friday.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][pitcher]Kyle Lohse[/pitcher][h2]11-6, 3.40 ERA, 1.15 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Dodgers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Lohse is coming off a rare bad outing as he allowed nine runs over four innings to the Cardinals on Saturday. Before that, he had recorded nine straight starts, allowing four or fewer earned runs.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. 2B Dee Gordon
  2. CF Yasiel Puig
  3. 1B Adrian Gonzalez
  4. SS Hanley Ramírez
  5. RF Matt Kemp
  6. LF Carl Crawford
  7. 3B Juan Uribe
  8. C Drew Butera
  9. RHP Roberto Hernández

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. LF Gerardo Parra
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. 2B Scooter Gennett
  6. 1B Lyle Overbay
  7. C Martín Maldonado
  8. SS Elián Herrera
  9. RHP Kyle Lohse

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hernandez slated to face Brewers in Dodgers debut

In matchup of first-place clubs, Milwaukee turns to Lohse in opener

By Caitlin Swieca / MLB.com | 8/8/2014 2:39 AM ET

It looks like the Dodgers won't waste any time putting their newest acquisition to work. After trading for Roberto Hernandez on Thursday, Los Angeles apparently will send the righty to the Miller Park mound in the series opener against the Brewers on Friday.

The struggling Josh Beckett, who has been trying to pitch through a hip impingement that needs season-ending surgery, was originally scheduled for Friday's start. But Hernandez told reporters in Philadelphia that he would be taking over starting duties in the opener.

"It's the first time that I've been traded," Hernandez said through a translator. "Obviously it's a nice feeling going to a team that has a chance. I'm really nervous right now. I wasn't expecting this. I'm excited, but at the same time, I'm nervous."

Hernandez's start could be spell trouble for the Brewers, who were defeated by the right-hander on July 9 when he hurled eight innings of one-run ball, allowing only three hits. Hernandez has won his past three decisions, pitching at least seven innings in three of his past five starts.

Facing tough pitching has become the norm for the Brewers, who will face pitchers with a combined six Cy Young Awards and four no-hitters on this six-game homestand. There's not much relief in sight as the Dodgers will follow Hernandez with co-aces Zack Greinke and Clayton Kershaw.

"We've got a lot of good pitchers we've faced and we're going to face," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "That's why it's so nice to have the offense feel like we're coming around. We're starting to swing the bat again. Those guys are going to shut you down if they're on, so you need to figure out how to get some runs."

Indeed, since July 30, the Brewers handed losses to David Price and Adam Wainwright and earned a win in a game that Tim Lincecum started. Is there something about the Milwaukee lineup that's allowed it to step up against tougher pitching?

"If you can figure it out, you guys let me know," said Roenicke. "You know you've really got to bear down, but these guys bear down pretty well every at-bat."

While Milwaukee's offense tries to break through against Hernandez, the club will send Kyle Lohse to the mound hoping for a rebound. Lohse lasted only four innings Saturday against the Cardinals, surrendering nine runs in an uncharacteristically rough outing. Coming off that start, Lohse was asked whether he approached his between-outings bullpen session any differently.

"No, it's way too late in the season to start doing stuff like that," he said. "It was just one of those games where nothing went right."

Brewers: Kintzler seeks more prominent bullpen role

Roenicke says he's waiting for a right-hander to step up in the eighth inning. Despite a tough outing Wednesday, and conceding his signature sinker has not been as consistently sharp as a season ago, Brandon Kintzler believes he's done enough to earn the job.

"I don't know, he never throws me in there," Kintzler said. "I threw well all of July, I never got a hold situation the whole time. I felt like I've done my job whatever they've asked me to do."

Kintzler, who has been off the disabled list since April 24, has appeared in every inning from the fifth to the ninth and has eight holds with a 3.76 ERA in 42 appearances. Last season, he had 26 holds with a 2.69 ERA in a career-high 71 appearances.

"He was really consistent last year," Roenicke said. "It's a lot -- it's confidence. His stuff seems to be fine. He's fine. It's the confidence that it gives you to relax and let your body work by and hit spots, and he's not doing that. If you look at just velocity and things like that, it's fine.

"He'll throw some good breaking balls, but consistently he doesn't, and he's not getting the sinker down and in like he usually does. We always talk about confidence in this game. When it's not there and it's not there really well, you're a little bit short."

Dodgers: Beckett knocked out of rotation

Right-hander Josh Beckett will not make his next start on Friday and could be headed to the disabled list, depending on the results of Thursday's MRI.

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said Beckett felt discomfort playing catch on Wednesday and is slated to see Dr. Neal ElAttrache.

Beckett was on the disabled list from July 8 to July 22 with a left hip impingement and is 0-1 with an 8.25 ERA in the three starts since his return. The exact nature of the injury has not yet been disclosed.

"I guess they'll wait for the MRI," Mattingly said. "I'm assuming it's got something to do with his hip in some relation. But it's a different area that was hurting him."

Right-hander Roberto Hernandez -- acquired Thursday from the Phillies, will start Friday in Milwaukee in Beckett's stead. General manager Ned Colletti said he had been looking at Hernandez for a couple of weeks, but talks with Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro heightened after Beckett's injury.

Rookie right-hander Carlos Frias would have gotten the ball Friday if the Dodgers had not traded for Hernandez.

"Well, Josh has been battling some things lately, and it came to the point where we had the chance to get Roberto," Colletti said. "And this time of year, as I've said many times, you better have enough of everything to get you through it."

Worth noting

• Hernandez has been sizzling as of late. He's posted a 3-0 record with a 1.88 ERA in his past four starts.

• The Brewers have had at least a share of the National League Central lead since April 5.

Milwaukee starters have 13 quality starts over the team's last 16 games, though the team is 9-7 in that stretch.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

These are the games Lohse was signed for. Get that W and start out the series with a win. Makes the chances of winning the series just that much better!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If it's any cause for optimism, 40% of their at-bats against Hernandez came on July 9, when the team as a whole was broken.

Total: 14/64 .219

July 9: 3/26 .115

Previous: 11/38 .289

Hernandez seems to be pretty much the same pitcher as he was a month ago. Has our lineup recovered?

I see no logic to resting Luc in a game we absolutely need to win with Greinke and Kershaw going Sat/Sun.....

Agreed, this is THE must win game of the series. Lose this one, and there is a chance we get swept. You put all your big guns out there for this one, PERIOD!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers hitters don't have a very good track record against Hernandez.

Gomez 2-7

Parra 2-9

Braun 0-2

ARAM 3-6

Scooter 0-5

Overbay 4-12

Maldy n/a

Herrera n/a

Krush 1-6

Luc 0-3

Reynolds 0-6

Segura 2-7

Weeks 0-1

That is a horrible sample size. Overbay is the only one with 10 or more at bats, and even that is not a real reason to give him a start. If our manager is basing today's starting line-up on those stats, this is another reason we need to look for a new manager in 2015.

This line-up is pretty pathetic, which is why we will score 8 runs and win easily.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Looking at the bright side, at least we have some good pinch hitting options for late in the game.

I'm sitting at Chili's and I read this. Disappointing but not a surprise as he seemed to be limping or something as he ran the bases when he scored from first on that double.

Edit: stupid tablet. This was supposed to be a reply to the comment about Luc being out.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I see no logic to resting Luc in a game we absolutely need to win with Greinke and Kershaw going Sat/Sun.....

Agreed, this is THE must win game of the series. Lose this one, and there is a chance we get swept. You put all your big guns out there for this one, PERIOD!

Tight hammy. And the RR basher overreacting again!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

As many hits in the first four batters as in eight innings against Hernandez a month ago. And twice as many runs through five batters. Let's see it all night; can't stand when we hit early then don't touch the starter after and he goes seven strong.

Braun with 7 doubles in his last seven games. Lucroy better be careful, or Brauny's going to catch him by season's end. :laughing

Ok, maybe not, but it's good to see him swinging the bat and hitting the ball hard. The average will come.

BTW, good evening everybody.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

Archived