Brewer Fanatic

Brewers and their Affiliates - Player Development Contracts

Mass Haas
Prior to the 1980s businesses had multiple reasons to exist besides 'making money' this has largely been forgotten, but such an incredibly short term view is highly detrimental in a business like baseball and contrary to the above assertion Ward looks like a much bigger idiot. There are only 30 teams in baseball. If you are running a minor league franchise the chances of you getting screwed over because you ticked off a major league GM are pretty high. It's not quite as dumb as messing with your boss, but given the very small social circle its a lot different than what most of us experience in our day to day jobs, where the chances of upsetting anyone person are much less likely to epically come back to bite us (though it still happens).

There are also 30 AAA teams. Everyone needs a dance partner so to say. So, unless some team decides it doesn't want a AAA team Ward's always going to have a taker for his team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only positive I can think of right now is that with better hitting stats perhaps other teams will think our hitting prospects in AAA are better than they really are. Probably pie in the sky but maybe it helps DM with trades in the future.

It would be fun to see how many homers guys like Roache, Coulter, and Denson could hit.

Yeah, it may have a negative effect on our pitchers, but a positive effect on our hitters, but in the end, will not provide accurate feedback on either...

I'm certainly no expert on minor league talent evaluation, but I would think by the time a pitcher reaches AAA, teams have a pretty good idea of how they are projecting, and can factor in ballpark effects.

Does anyone know the length of the deal the Brewers signed with Colorado Springs? I'm assuming it's just one or two years, but I don't recall seeing it mentioned.

(Edit: Someone Twitter informed me it is for two years).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

My concern with Colorado Springs is not with evaluating players. I'm sure the Brewers can discount these park effects as well as anyone. It's going from high altitude in Colorado to lower altitude in Milwaukee which would be an adjustment for pitchers especially. The fast ball will be slightly less fast in Milwaukee and the ball will break more in the denser air. Will that lead to control problems for pitchers moving between Colorado Springs and Milwaukee? Rather not have to deal with such issues which were no problem coming from Nashville.

My concern with Colorado Springs is not with evaluating players. I'm sure the Brewers can discount these park effects as well as anyone. It's going from high altitude in Colorado to lower altitude in Milwaukee which would be an adjustment for pitchers especially. The fast ball will be slightly less fast in Milwaukee and the ball will break more in the denser air. Will that lead to control problems for pitchers moving between Colorado Springs and Milwaukee? Rather not have to deal with such issues which were no problem coming from Nashville.

They don't play every single minor league game over 5,000 feet.

all Frank Ward has to do is look at the records of AA (77-60), A+ (73-62) and A (72-67) to, you know, get over the losing nature of the last few years at AAA. It shows complete disregard to the success the brewers affiliates below.

Records of lower level teams doesn't necessarily translate into successful teams in AAA.

I realize its not a guarantee, but EVERY level below AAA this year found success of some form. hell, so did AAA. 30 games below .500 in 2012, 10 in 2013 and over 500 in 2014 with every level below winning. I dont see how you cant view this franchise minor league system as improving and finding success

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As John Torres reminds us in Florida Today:

"Brevard residents may soon only be able to watch professional baseball from home soon as well. Once the Nationals are gone for good, then the Manatees — who can't afford the stadium upkeep on their own — would also be forced to leave."

Formally, the Nationals lease in Viera/Melbourne runs through 2017, so the Brewers/Manatees relationship is solid through 2016. This would be one reason we didn't see a four-year PDC signed with Brevard, which would have carried through 2018.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
The Sounds ownership had grown tired of the Brewers fielding subpar teams in recent years. The Brewers had tried to rectify that situation in 2014 with some success, especially at home. It's a valid concern, but the way they went about changing affiliations wasn't the right way to do it and Melvin has every right to be irate. If you're thinking about switching, you should at least let your partner know. Don't leave your old partner hanging when you suddenly become attractive and a prettier partner asks you to dance.

i made a mental note to check on the sounds' record towards the end of the season in the hopes that it'd be horrible.

60-71. third place, 11 games back.

this makes me happy.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like Rangers want to move their AAA affiliate to San Antonio when ready, Brewers should bend over backwards to get into Round Rock

Or try to get into San Antonio, just get out of Colorado at all costs

Looks like Rangers want to move their AAA affiliate to San Antonio when ready, Brewers should bend over backwards to get into Round Rock

Or try to get into San Antonio, just get out of Colorado at all costs

It is my understanding, since the same ownership group owns the San Antonio AA team as well as Colorado Springs, that the current San Antonio team would move to Amarillo, then the Colorado Springs team moves to San Antonio. But it all hinges on San Antonio building a stadium....which is still in the talk stages.

Archived