Brewer Fanatic

Brewers and their Affiliates - Player Development Contracts

Mass Haas
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Evaluating the power of players looks like it will get a lot more difficult. Brevard depressing power pretty substantially, Huntsville I think is fairly neutral, and I can only imagine Co Spring is no different than Coors. I guess evaluators will need to look at AA more than anything now.

Evaluating the power of players looks like it will get a lot more difficult. Brevard depressing power pretty substantially, Huntsville I think is fairly neutral, and I can only imagine Co Spring is no different than Coors. I guess evaluators will need to look at AA more than anything now.

The current Sky Sox leader in OPS Ben Paulsen has a .910 OPS for the season. That's 1.043 at home and .758 in the road. Personally, I'm excited to see what Coulter can do there.

Losing the Nashville affiliation is a disappointing outcome after watching the video of the renderings and accommodations the Sound's new park will include. I know DM is blaming Nashville for not communicating that they were seeking another partner, but it has been rumored for months at this point so I have to believe it is a conversation the Brewers could have been proactive and forced the Sounds to have with them. I just don't think claiming ignorance is a good defense in this case.

While I do not see many positives in the new affiliation with the Sky Sox (that is going to take some getting used to), I did find a couple of interesting tidbits (in BOLD below) from this Denver Post article...

Colorado Springs Sky Sox link up as Milwaukee Brewers Triple-A team after Rockies move

By Nick Groke / The Denver Post

One day after the Rockies left them in the lurch, the Colorado Springs Sky Sox rallied Thursday with a new two-year contract as the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

"We couldn't be happier to start the newest era in Sky Sox baseball with a world-class organization like the Milwaukee Brewers," Sky Sox president Tony Ensor said in a statement. "Their long and rich baseball history, as well as their commitment to a winning culture and player development is something that we know our fans will embrace."

The Rockies and Sky Sox had been linked for 21 years, since the inception of the big-league franchise, until Wednesday — when the Rockies ditched Colorado Springs for a new contract with the Albuquerque Isotopes. That team had previously been the Los Angeles' Dodgers' affiliate.

The Brewers previously had the Nashville Sounds as their Triple-A team.

It also marks Milwaukee baseball's return to the Colorado area. The Milwaukee Braves were associated with the minor-league Denver Bears in 1963-64. The Sky Sox also have a connection to the Brewers through Sky Sox co-owner D.G. Elmore (son of co-owner Dave Elmore). D.G. Elmore also owns the Helena Brewers, the rookie-level affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers.

After the Rockies announced a Triple-A move to Albuquerque — where they have an upgraded $25 million stadium re-built in 2003 — the Sky Sox released a statement that said:

"We are certainly disappointed that the Rockies have decided to end that relationship, but we respect their right to do what they feel is best for their organization."

The Sky Sox, who play at Security Service Field, built in 1988 for $3.7 million, have been trying to get funding to build a new stadium in downtown Colorado Springs. The Sky Sox previously were a minor-league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox (1950-1958), Cleveland Indians (1988-1992), and Rockies (1993-2014).

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2014/0918/20140918__colorado-springs-sky-sox-stadium~p1.jpg

The Colorado Springs Sky Sox play a game at Security Service Field on Thursday, June 7, 2012. The team announced on Thursday that it will be the new Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers after its longtime team, the Colorado Rockies, signed with the Albuquerque Isotopes.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Any chance we can get the fences moved back to 500 ft.?

All that does is open more space in the OF to cover. Guys would hit be hitting .350 and still slugging .750 with all the doubles and triples.

I hope it doesn't wreck guy's swings who otherwise are line drive hitters.

Not sure why this is a problem. The contract was up, everyone was free to do what they want. If Milwaukee wasn't happy with their stadium they didn't have to keep renewing it.

It sounds pretty simple when you read the details. The Nashville Sounds handled the situation in a very unprofessional way.

Since when did having the "right," to do something mean it was inherently right to do it? Melvin continually asked if they were not going to renew the contract to let them know in time so they could plan accordingly. Seemingly out of the blue and without reason they decided to not renew the contract. Sure, that's their "right."

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Not sure why this is a problem. The contract was up, everyone was free to do what they want. If Milwaukee wasn't happy with their stadium they didn't have to keep renewing it.

It sounds pretty simple when you read the details. The Nashville Sounds handled the situation in a very unprofessional way.

Since when did having the "right," to do something mean it was inherently right to do it? Melvin continually asked if they were not going to renew the contract to let them know in time so they could plan accordingly. Seemingly out of the blue and without reason they decided to not renew the contract. Sure, that's their "right."

I think their lack of answer was an answer in itself. The Brewers should have known something was up and at least explored other options. Seems like they waited as long as possible and then said, "Nashville's fault" in the end.

I think what is most indicative of the Sounds handling this poorly is based on Melvin's reaction. I can't recall many, if any, situations in which he has openly and publicly expressed obvious frustration directed at a specific organization and group of people. Sure, the Sounds have the right to shop around, just like the Brewers do, but for the simple fact that Melvin seemed to be a little out of character I'd say something doesn't smell right.

And it's really too bad. I read a lot of posts here, mostly from Mass, about the trials and tribulations of the Sounds' difficulties getting a new stadium, and it would have been cool for the Brewers to be part of that next step simply because they were part of that journey. It does sound to be mostly a loyalty issue, as the Brewers did stick by them during that time, as now that the Sounds have a brand new stadium starting next year, it's just too bad they felt it was necessary to move in a different direction.

Kind of like 'dance with the one that brought you,' and Nashville's a great town, too.

I think their lack of answer was an answer in itself. The Brewers should have known something was up and at least explored other options. Seems like they waited as long as possible and then said, "Nashville's fault" in the end.

I tend to agree with this. Their silence spoke volumes.

And McCalvy added this to his story.

The Sounds, meanwhile, expressed dissatisfaction several years ago with the caliber of teams the Brewers were providing. The Sounds were 10 games under .500 in 2012, and 30 games under .500 in '13.

Sure they made the playoffs the first three years in Nashville but they've missed the playoffs the last seven years and gave them the two worst records in franchise history as well. Why wouldn't you look for something better when the teams you're given year in and year out for nearly a decade are bad?

Maybe they should've given them better teams on the field and if they did, they would probably still be affiliated with them.

Melvin's reaction to it is weak as well. You said you had opportunities to leave for a better affiliate. Then why didn't you? It was never guaranteed that Nashville was going to get a new stadium. Instead you let our prospects play in a dump of a stadium hoping one day that Nashville would get a new stadium and that they would want to keep the Brewers even though they hadn't won in years.

That picture is really a AAA ballpark? That looks like Fox Cities Stadium.

I agree. This looks more like an A ball stadium than AAA.

At least it looks nicer than the dump that was Greer Stadium. Of course I'm sure the new Sounds field will blow both of those away.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm sorry, but this is another nail in Doug Melvin's coffin, if you ask me. In fact, it should be the final one.

Yes, he asked the Sounds' owner Frank Ward to tell them if they were not going to renew their contract with Milwaukee so the Brewers could find another attractive AAA affiliate as a replacement. And yes, doing so would have been the classy thing to do.

But Doug's expressing anger is comical. Like any owner, Frank Ward is out to make money. This beautiful new stadium is opening up, and Ward wants a winning product on the field to put butts in the seats. The Brewers were better this year, but after ending up 30 games below .500 in 2012, and 10 games under in 2013, is anybody really surprised this happened?

Melvin said there was another affiliate that appealed to them. Well, in lieu of a firm commitment from Ward, Melvin should have grabbed the sure thing. Now all the Brewers have left is the ugly girl at the dance, and a General Manager who is trying to deflect the blame off of himself.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I'm sorry, but this is another nail in Doug Melvin's coffin, if you ask me. In fact, it should be the final one.

Yes, he asked the Sounds' owner Frank Ward to tell them if they were not going to renew their contract with Milwaukee so the Brewers could find another attractive AAA affiliate as a replacement. And yes, doing so would have been the classy thing to do.

But Doug's expressing anger is comical. Like any owner, Frank Ward is out to make money. This beautiful new stadium is opening up, and Ward wants a winning product on the field to put butts in the seats. The Brewers were better this year, but after ending up 30 games below .500 in 2012, and 10 games under in 2013, is anybody really surprised this happened?

Melvin said there was another affiliate that appealed to them. Well, in lieu of a firm commitment from Ward, Melvin should have grabbed the sure thing. Now all the Brewers have left is the ugly girl at the dance, and a General Manager who is trying to deflect the blame off of himself.

all Frank Ward has to do is look at the records of AA (77-60), A+ (73-62) and A (72-67) to, you know, get over the losing nature of the last few years at AAA. It shows complete disregard to the success the brewers affiliates below.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I really think it is a mistake to put your minor league teams in a Coors Field type scenario. Are we going to be able to judge our guys accurately playing in that thin air? This stinks in my opinion... I don't like it one single bit.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

all Frank Ward has to do is look at the records of AA (77-60), A+ (73-62) and A (72-67) to, you know, get over the losing nature of the last few years at AAA. It shows complete disregard to the success the brewers affiliates below.

Records of lower level teams doesn't necessarily translate into successful teams in AAA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I really think it is a mistake to put your minor league teams in a Coors Field type scenario. Are we going to be able to judge our guys accurately playing in that thin air? This stinks in my opinion... I don't like it one single bit.

It's not like they had a choice. There was only one team left when the Brewers were left holding the bag.

It's not like they had a choice. There was only one team left when the Brewers were left holding the bag.

Isn't that the reason they were in Nashville and Huntsville for so long?

Seriously, that stadium looks barely Northwoods quality.

Prior to the 1980s businesses had multiple reasons to exist besides 'making money' this has largely been forgotten, but such an incredibly short term view is highly detrimental in a business like baseball and contrary to the above assertion Ward looks like a much bigger idiot. There are only 30 teams in baseball. If you are running a minor league franchise the chances of you getting screwed over because you ticked off a major league GM are pretty high. It's not quite as dumb as messing with your boss, but given the very small social circle its a lot different than what most of us experience in our day to day jobs, where the chances of upsetting anyone person are much less likely to epically come back to bite us (though it still happens).

Archived