Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Kintzler - Should he be sent down?

Bombers

Can we replace him with someone? Here is a good post from tonight's IGT:

Even before tonight, Kintzler had a 5.0 K/9 and a 4.73 FIP, which is good for -0.5 fWAR in 37.2 IP. I guess the shiny ERA means he's a high-leverage reliever though...?

He leads the team with opponents hitting .295 off of him. He has the second worst FIP on the team. Can't we just bring someone up to replace him? Maybe Fiers for the start Sat as Marco pitched today?

He's the anti Wooten. Wooten's rate stats are terrific but his ERA is getting killed by a .370 BABIP. Kintzler hasn't been good all year and is likely injured (losing 1.75 K/9 says something is wrong) but a really high strand rate has saved his ERA.

That number was prior to tonight's what? 2ERs?

His K/9 has gone like this: 11, 9.2, 7.6, 6.8, and now 5.0 HR rate is back up this year. How down is his velocity from say 2 years ago? He's just getting shelled and there's nothing that indicates(like a high Krate or a lower Hit/9 rate) that, that won't continue being the case.

How about his shiny ERA actually being caused by the RP who inherits Kintzler's runners and strands them? Looking up the Game Logs in order:

2OB Duke Ks to end the inning

2OB(1 on Kintzler after giving up a run on inherited runner) Smith allows both to score

2OB (another run allowed by Kintzler on inherited runner) Smith Ks to end the inning

2OB Wooten Ks to end the inning

1OB Smith induces Flyball out

2OB Wang induces GB to end the inning

Total 10 men he was responsible for OB and only 1 Runs allowed

Meanwhile 21 runners he's inherited and has allowed 8 runs to score.

Just not doing the team any favors on his end.

To any question of "Should he be replaced," the answer should always be "when there is a better option available." Hopefully Henderson will be ready soon, but until then I don't know that we have a better option.

Beyond that, we need to be mindful of small samples. Relievers are usually a "crapshoot" because of the relatively small number of innings they throw. Players are going to have ups and downs, and we can't discard someone because they're in a "down." Having some options is nice, but with Henderson and Thornburg getting injured, the "options" had to get moved into the MLB pen. Thankfully, most of them have pitched far better than expected.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

he should get sent down when Fiers is brought up for Garza's spot in the rotation later this week

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

To any question of "Should he be replaced," the answer should always be "when there is a better option available." Hopefully Henderson will be ready soon, but until then I don't know that we have a better option.

Well if they bring up Blazek they can have him pinch hit also. Saw he had a couple of hits and scored 2-3 runs in one of his last games started.

kintzler has two minor league options remaining. he has less than five years of major league service time, so he cannot refuse the optional assignment. the brewers optioned him in both 2011 and 2012, but because he spent less than 20 days optioned in 2011, his option year was not burned.

Who is accountable for realizing just how horrible he has been?

The fact that he is this bad, and continues to pitch in close games is inexcusable in my eyes. Who makes the decision to trot him out there time after time even though he hurts the team so often?

I do not feel this organization places any importance on accountability, from the top down to the base coaches, there is none.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Nobody seems to be reliable anymore. At this point I wouldn't even mind trying Estrada in the 8th inning role. Nobody else seems to be able to do it.

They really need to swing a trade for a RH. They could swap one of the3 LH they have. They may be on the brink of a move like that, since Gorz seems to be in witness protection lately.

The fact that he is this bad, and continues to pitch in close games is inexcusable in my eyes. Who makes the decision to trot him out there time after time even though he hurts the team so often?

I do not feel this organization places any importance on accountability, from the top down to the base coaches, there is none.

Coming into the year Kintzler was behind Thornburg & Henderson on the righty reliever depth chart. They are both hurt. Recently Jeffress has been the go to righty in high leverage situations. They've been using him as carefully as realistically possible given the circumstances and options at hand.

What could the organization do to demonstrate to you that they are holding people accountable? Fire someone? Come out and blast them in the media?

Right now I'm holding MA, DM, RR and every player on the roster accountable for being in first place when no one predicted they'd be anywhere close to this position gefore the season began.

who would they call up? I see no better player right now on their roster. I hope Doug makes a trade for an arm this month for the stretch.

He does serve one purpose, when used right. He is good at inducing double plays, but other than that hasn't done much.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Should Kintzler be sent down? I guess what are the options? Blazek, Figaro, Hand, Pena? None of these guys inspires.

Fiers is the guy I would call on - and I think he'll get the nod to take Garza's spot. But there's not one really at AAA that looks any better than Kintzler.

What about Goforth or Medlen from AA? They seem to be having decent years.

It really seems that DM has got to make a bullpen move; Kintzler simply cannot be counted on as a late inning reliever right now. I don't want Wooten in that position either. Henderson will certainly help but there doesn't seem to be any indication that his return is imminent.

According to an article on Brewers website today he feels he should be the 8th inning guy. Some rather odd quotes in there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140807&content_id=88414550&notebook_id=88421942&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

his quotes really bother me for some reason

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Coming into the year Kintzler was behind Thornburg & Henderson on the righty reliever depth chart. They are both hurt. Recently Jeffress has been the go to righty in high leverage situations. They've been using him as carefully as realistically possible given the circumstances and options at hand.

What could the organization do to demonstrate to you that they are holding people accountable? Fire someone? Come out and blast them in the media?

The injuries to both Thornburg & Henderson have been such killers and exasperated by not having any quality power righthanded arms in the minors for relief work.

Even with the decent success of Jeffress so far, he worries me when out there given he has such shaky command of his secondary pitches and for as hard as he throws his fastball, for whatever reason he doesn't get a lot of swing and misses on it. I get that hitters are sitting on his fastball since he throws it so much, but other flame throwing relievers who rely mostly on fastballs tend to get more swing and misses when throwing say 95-98mph.

Early in the year the pen was such a strength and now there is literally nobody that i feel super confident about when brought in during a close game.

According to an article on Brewers website today he feels he should be the 8th inning guy. Some rather odd quotes in there.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140807&content_id=88414550&notebook_id=88421942&vkey=notebook_mil&c_id=mil

Yea, didn't sit well with me either. Came off as he feels entitled to something.

ditto. seems a bit clueless.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

"I never know where I'm going to throw, but it's to the point that's what I deserve," Kintzler said, "because apparently a three-something ERA isn't [good enough]."

At least on that point, he and I agree.

If his ERA were a run lower - like it was last year - and he still couldn't get a shot in close and late ballgames, then I think he would have a right to be upset. By all appearances though, he feels as though having a consistent role (in hold situations, presumably in the 8th inning) was the reason for his outstanding performance last year; it is pitching well that put him into the consistent role he seems to be looking for.

I don't really mind it when guys have a chip on their shoulder, when they can use it for motivation. Kintzler just seems to be venting his frustration that he's not pitching as well as he's capable.

This just in. Yuni still believes he should be starting at 1B for the Brewers.

Any thoughts on my comment about trying Estrada in the 8th inning role?

Estrada is broken this year, he should be the long man not the 8th inning guy. He (used) to be a competent starter, but I don't think he has the overpowering stuff to fill that role very well. It should be Jeffress and Duke, imo.

Archived