Brewer Fanatic

Theo and the Cubs

Raw Biz
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Jed Hoyer is the GM in Chicago. Theo is President. So Hoyer probably has more say in player moves than Theo.

Do you really believe that? Believe that if say Hoyer want to sign or trade for X player, but Theo disagreed, that Hoyer would have the final say? I don't.

I really have no idea. I do think it bears mentioning that just because Theo is associated with the team doesn't mean he'll do all the same types of things he did in Boston.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true. Theo will have to show he can pick up pitching though for his plan to work. The line up looks to be frightening offensively to be sure.

I keep seeing this brought up but people are forgetting that the Yankees, Mets, Red Sox, and the Angels all need some sort of pitching. The Angels are probably at their maximum so we can rule them out on the big name pitchers but Lester and others they should be in on. The Mariners will also be big players in this coming off season.

It is not as easy as everyone is making it out to be. Yes the Cubs have the financials to make a big signing but they also have to compete with the other large market clubs. I am certain that the Yankees are going to try and get Scherzer this off season and at least one other starter or positional player. Sabathia is on the decline and after Tanaka the Yankees only have Pineda who has had a lot of injuries lately along with Sabathia.

The Red Sox are going to look to at least try and resign Lester and will probably be in on Samardzija.

While this crop of free agents is nice I just don't see how the Cubs are going to come away with more than one pitcher without over paying. Scherzer is going to get something close to what Felix with Lester and Shields getting at least a 5-6 year deal around $160-180. The following year the Cubs will be competing with the Tigers, Yankees, Mariners, Red Sox, and the White Sox for Price.

I don't believe the Cubs are going to land Scherzer or Price. I think someone like Lester this year and someone like Gallardo the following year. Does that improve their team that much? I believe the Cubs have a good team going forward offensively but I am not all that confident in them landing a big named starting pitcher. I can see Lester and a high upside #3 or #4 type pitcher but that is about it for the Cubs.

Jed Hoyer is the GM in Chicago. Theo is President. So Hoyer probably has more say in player moves than Theo.

Do you really believe that? Believe that if say Hoyer want to sign or trade for X player, but Theo disagreed, that Hoyer would have the final say? I don't.

I really have no idea. I do think it bears mentioning that just because Theo is associated with the team doesn't mean he'll do all the same types of things he did in Boston.

FWIW, i'm by no means a Theo basher even though i made a post above about him being very lucky that his hard push to land A-Rod fell through and he was fortunate that nobody claimed Manny as he hoped for.

During his tenure at Boston i do think that he got praised by some to highly as if he was the best GM in the game even though he made a number of poor to really poor moves, along with being very lucky with A-Rod and Manny. He did make some very nice moves also which helped contribute to end the Red Sox title drought, especially stealing Ortiz.

Overall i think he has a sharp baseball mind and i do wish the Cubs had hired someone else instead. Time will tell on just how many of these Cubs prospects end up panning out and to what degrees. That stuff can often be hard to predict. Some highly ranked prospects end up living to the hype and do so quickly. Some struggle for awhile in the majors before becoming a quality big leaguer. Some never become a good MLB player, while lesser ranked ones do. This will play a huge factor on just how good the Cubs become over the next few years and longer.

I don't believe the Cubs are going to land Scherzer or Price. I think someone like Lester this year and someone like Gallardo the following year. Does that improve their team that much? I believe the Cubs have a good team going forward offensively but I am not all that confident in them landing a big named starting pitcher. I can see Lester and a high upside #3 or #4 type pitcher but that is about it for the Cubs.

If the money is close to equal I can see the Cubs being a more attractive landing spot than New York.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived