Brewer Fanatic

Jimmy Rollins placed on Waivers

Per MLBTR

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/08/placed-on-revocable-waivers-monday.html

Anyone have interest?

I understand Segura is our starting SS for years to come. But we are in a pennant race and he is hitting:

.232 / .265 / .321 / .587

Jimmy's line isn't amazing but he has an OPS that is 130 points higher:

.239 / .317 / .397 / .714

He is making $11 million this year and next year. The 2015 option is guaranteed at $11M with 1) 600 plate appearances in 2014 or 2) 1,100 PAs in 2013-14 and Rollins is not on disabled list at end of 2014 season (or if he is on the DL, a mutually agreed upon doctor deems him available for 2015 Opening Day roster)

That's money that could be much better spent elsewhere.

What if they throw money our way? (Edit - Then I remember you can't in August trades.)

Segura's splits:

vs RHP: .250 .270 .357 .628

vs LHP : .167 .247 .190 .438

Rollins:

vs RHP: .245 .324 .420 .744

vs LHP: .223 .298 .330 .629

They both hit RHP better than left handed.

Would be an interesting pick-up, because he can backup Segura when Jean is struggling (like this season...) and in 2015 you could try moving him to 2B to platoon with Gennett and start against LHP.

It would be a very bold move, the money for next year makes it a bit challenging but we carried almost that much with Weeks being surprisingly helpful. Given how far Segura has sunk, I'd be for it if we could snag him for a midling prospect and some cash for next year. That is a lot of extra offense, and let Jean go sort things out at home or in AAA.

Honestly, I think Rollins would be a better fit for the playoff run both offensively and defensively.

That is a lot of cash though for 2015, especially when we sit without a 1B for 2015. (and technically 2014)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The more I think about it and the more I read the comments, I think this could work out.

I do find it funny that of our 3 young players (Davis, Gennett, and Segura), Jean is the only one not in a platoon. (And he is the worst one offensively) ... And a lot is made of our 1B production but SS has been worse

The more I think about it and the more I read the comments, I think this could work out.

I do find it funny that of our 3 young players (Davis, Gennett, and Segura), Jean is the only one not in a platoon. (And he is the worst one offensively) ... And a lot is made of our 1B production but SS has been worse

The more Philly kicks in, the bigger the return they'll want. I still believe the offensive upgrade is marginal at best and certainly not assured going forward. Again I'd spend that money elsewhere and rely on Segura's bat to come alive.

I want to be somewhat patient with Segura, but he has been in an offensive funk for over a year and nothing about the personal stuff in his life screams to me that he is going to turn it around. Rollins decline has been fairly modest overall, so while he might decline a little I wouldn't expect him to fall off a cliff in the next year or so. Their difference in WAR is large enough that Rollins would be worth almost a full win the rest of the season, which is pretty huge at this point in the season. Couple that with an uninspiring list of other plausible ideas at this point..

How about putting him at 3B and Ramirez at 1B....

Money wise, probably need Phillies to throw us a little cash.

Ramirez seems to be one pulled hammy away from the DL.... 1B has less wear and tear.

We need another bat at either #2 or #6 to help the offense along. Not sure, but Rollins has to make more contact/ take a few more pitches than the avg. Brewer, right?

Reynolds could be a back-up/ twice a week guy at 3B AND IB for match-up reasons.

We could be "set" for next year with his addition and re-upping with Ramirez.... if Ramirez walks, we have Rollins as 3B insurance. We'll lose Weeks, Gorz, KRod (maybe), AND Reynolds (probably?) next year to get a little $ back for this.

Rollins could be insurance at SS, as well.

Melvin WAS interested in him 3 years ago before signing ARAM.... it could happen

How about Jason Rogers and a middling pitcher for Rollins?

It would take a real prospect to get Rollins. He is projected to be wroth 2 to 3 wins next year which has a value of around $15-20m and he is only getting paid $11m. Rollins would be the biggest impact player the Brewers could get but he isn't going to come for scraps. And that's before you decide about what to do with Segura.

You could always send Jean down to AAA next year and play Rollins. You then have Jean and extra year 'later'. And AAA would not hurt him learning to bat.

Yeah, when you've got a guy with a slash line of .237 / .270 / .326 / .596, you don't go out of your way to find him more playing time. Segura seems likeable, he's exciting, and we need to prove that we did well when trading away Greinke, but outside of a hot start last season, he's been horrible at the plate. If we had any alternative, I'd have no problem sending him back to AAA.

I don't think I'd go after an aging, short-term, high cost fix like Rollins, but it would be nice to have a SS that wasn't a complete black hole at the plate.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have to say that I've pretty much soured on Segura. He's a solid defender, but he just looks awful at the plate - and his base running has been pretty questionable. And we're not talking about a month or two of poor play, but for over a year now he's been bad.

I could see a guy like Rollins as a short term fill in for the rest of the year. He's got a 2.7 WAR for 2014 - that would be pretty nice to have on our team. He'd certainly be a welcome addition for the rest of 2014. You could then just send Segura to AAA in 2015 and tell him to get his act together. If not, maybe he's more a utility guy.

I'd hate to give up on Segura, but he's doing just about everything possible to make me want someone else. But maybe I'm over reacting. Maybe his son's health issues really affected him.

It's a tough one.

I think you make that sort of trade if the Brewers get that opporunity and it doesn't cost them too much in terms of prospects. Then you go into next year with Rollins taking Weeks' place on the roster - for 11 million you'd get a switch hitter who can back up/play both SS and 2B, who's much better offensively and defensively than Weeks.

Bringing in Rollins would also give the Brewers options to shift Segura over to 2B for some starts against tough LHP, or when Gennett would need a day off. Right now if Segura's in the lineup, he's playing SS exclusively even though many scouts viewed him as an ideal 2B.

I think you make that sort of trade if the Brewers get that opporunity and it doesn't cost them too much in terms of prospects. Then you go into next year with Rollins taking Weeks' place on the roster - for 11 million you'd get a switch hitter who can back up/play both SS and 2B, who's much better offensively and defensively than Weeks.

Bringing in Rollins would also give the Brewers options to shift Segura over to 2B for some starts against tough LHP, or when Gennett would need a day off. Right now if Segura's in the lineup, he's playing SS exclusively even though many scouts viewed him as an ideal 2B.

No way they'd only give Rollins 200-300 PAs while Segura starts everyday. If you make the move, you're doing it to get a starting SS for this pennant race and for next year. This year, you'd probably send Segura to AAA. In 2015, Rollins is your SS, Gennett is your 2B, and if Segura is on the MLB roster he's the utility guy/RH part of the 2B platoon.

He would replace Weeks in terms of salary, so if this move were made, we probably wouldn't be able to do much else in the offseason (i.e. finding a 1B) as I doubt we'll have a significantly higher payroll in 2015 than we have now.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I don't think scouts views him as the idea 2B so much as they questioned his arm and his defensive ability at SS, a question that has been answered in no uncertain terms.

Rollins and Segura have been pretty similar since the start of last year defensively.

His option has already vested...and while Segura has looked bad, I think he's looking better at the plate, squaring up the ball more and he's not flying open as much. Of course that's just my opinion.

Segura has also had a BABIP of .209 and .207. Otherwise his OPS was ~650 the first two months(and .850 so far this month...FWIW which is very little).

I still like him, and if we're going to take back a bad contract, I'd rather we take a bad contract back for a right handed reliever.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'd have zero interest in Rollins. I felt the Brewers dodged a bullet with him a few years back, and I wouldn't be surprised if Segura out performed him down the stretch. Pass.

Nor would I.

And the idea of playing Rollins everyday next year in his late 30's while platooning or having Segura play in AAA strikes me as a terrible idea.

But it's easy to see why others may disagree given the fact that he has performed poorly up to this point(though again, had his BABIP not been around .200 for about half his PA's, his numbers would look a lot differently).

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

And the idea of playing Rollins everyday next year in his late 30's while platooning or having Segura play in AAA strikes me as a terrible idea.

For the record, I agree. I was just saying that if we were to put in a claim and make a deal for Rollins, health permitting he would be the starting SS for the rest of this year and next.

I really want Segura to turn things around. I don't know when or if it will happen, but maybe some time in AAA would help. Unfortunately, we don't have another viable option for SS, so he's just going to have to sink or swim at the MLB level.

~Bill Walsh

Segura's numbers aren't so hideous that they should do anything drastic like bring in an aging expensive SS at the end of his career. Sophomore slumps are pretty common. He's a starting caliber SS. Brewers have some potential successors in their system if it gets to that in another year or two.

Segura's numbers aren't so hideous that they should do anything drastic like bring in an aging expensive SS at the end of his career. Sophomore slumps are pretty common. He's a starting caliber SS.

Well, based on OPS (.596!!), he's among worst hitters in baseball this year (of players with enough PAs to qualify on ESPN's site). He was phenomenal in April (.985 OPS) and May (.911 OPS) of last year, but has been pretty bad for over a year since then. That's a long stretch of really bad offense.

The talent looks to be there, but I wish we could find someone capable of playing SS at the MLB level while Segura "finds himself" in AAA. I don't want to spend prospects and a lot of cash for someone like Rollins (a deal which is very unlikely anyway because MLB-for-MLB player trades after the deadline are rare), but it would be nice if some "league average" vet could be picked up for a mid-tier prospect.

Brewers have some potential successors in their system if it gets to that in another year or two.

I agree. With everything I said above, I still think it's likely he will be the starter until someone from the minors pushes him off the roster, and that's probably late 2015 or 2016. The team is in first, and their good defense plays a big role in that, so Segura has helped the team in that regard. Meanwhile, this offseason finding a capable 1B is more pressing than upgrading SS. If he has a sub-.600 OPS at this point next year, someone like Arcia should be able to step in and replace him.

~Bill Walsh

Archived