Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-05 Giants (Lincecum) at Brewers (Nelson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3; Parra's first Brewers hit is a HR]

hawing
Those are the little things that Luc does that won't show up in the box score as a positive for him, but make him a definite MVP candidate in my eyes. He called for that slider that got Posey. That was such a big out.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are we running Lucroy in that situation? Just threw away a base runner.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

PARRA AGAIN!!!!

What a catch! He just makes it look sooooo easy!

Smooth pop-up sliding catch at an awkward part of the wall too. Impressive in an outfield he's not familiar with.

Great point.

What a nice addition, and frankly he could wind up being the club's CF once Gomez inevitably moves on either via FA or trade. I think Parra could be a guy the Crew could extend affordably.

I don't know. That's a few years down the road and Parra's defensive numbers in the corner OF spots don't look like they're headed in the right direction. If we're looking at Parra as a starter in the future, I'd prefer to go with Parra in RF and to move Braun to 1st(I think he'd be fine over there and don't think his issues at 3rd translate all that much).

I'm thinking Taylor is more likely to take over in CF by the time Gomez leaves.

But Parra's looking great tonight either way.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

That wasn't the best curve, but when you throw a bunch of fastballs, that'll get the job done! Nice work. Have to admit, I thought he wouldn't make it out of the inning.

No, it was average at best(it was a slider I believe, but either way).

I can't imagine how tough it is to be looking for a 98 MPH fastball and try to adjust to a slider there when nobody saw that coming.

Yeah, my bad. Looked like a curve the first time I saw it, but after replay that definitely was a slider.

But you're correct - that's gotta rattle the batter when he sees that coming. He threw almost all fastballs, then two sliders to Posey. Neither were great, and the fastballs didn't have great location for most of the pitches, but when you throw that hard you can get away with being effectively wild now and then.

Edit: This was not some of my best writing...

Those are the little things that Luc does that won't show up in the box score as a positive for him, but make him a definite MVP candidate in my eyes. He called for that slider that got Posey. That was such a big out.

I don't want to put too much emphasis on ONE pitch, but if the Brewers can hold on and win this one, that's one of the biggest pitches of the year right there. After losing two games to the Cards that we should have or at least could have won, that's a big pitch and this would be a BIG win.

Why are we running Lucroy in that situation? Just threw away a base runner.

He had the base stolen....he's mild mannered, but he needs to go into 2nd harder.

Of course if he goes in too hard and tears up his ankle, we'd be questioning him for that. But you need to put a spike in a guy there. It's not intentionally trying to hurt a guy if he wants to block the bag, it's on him.

But the slide turns it from a "great call, caught them off guard," to, "what the hell is he thinking." 2nd base, 0 outs would have been big.

Now K-Rod needs to keep that ball down and bury his change.

I don't know. That's a few years down the road and Parra's defensive numbers in the corner OF spots don't look like they're headed in the right direction. If we're looking at Parra as a starter in the future, I'd prefer to go with Parra in RF and to move Braun to 1st(I think he'd be fine over there and don't think his issues at 3rd translate all that much).

Imo Parra passes the eye test very well in the OF. I don't buy whatever the defensive stats are selling on him. Great instincts, good speed, great glovework, & a great arm.

You may be right that Taylor winds up as the big-league CF post-Gomez, but imo it'd be a really nice surprise if he's actually even better defensively (heck, or equal to) than Parra. I think Parra is in the same defensive tier, or just one tier below, the Gomezes of the MLB world.

I think the Brewers could potentially extend Parra at a pretty reasonable rate, & obviously he could play any of the 3 OF spots going forward. It'd give the club a lot of flexibility.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like Parra alright, but he's not the type of guy that I want to be sliding other guys around for to make "every day player" room for him.

He's a career .720 OPS guy, and he's only had one season where his D-War was over 1.0 Yes, he just made a great catch, but there's nothing about him that screams "gotta play him every day".

If Luc goes hard straight into his leg and can't get to the base wouldn't that constitute an interference call?

I'm curious about this as well. I've seen guys put their foot in front of the base before, but I can't remember the last time I saw a player completely block the base with his leg. He's lucky Luc was nice, 'cause he easily could have, and probably should have, gotten some spikes in his leg.

Edit: Spelling isn't working today.

If Luc goes hard straight into his leg and can't get to the base wouldn't that constitute an interference call?

I don't know if it does, but it absolutely should.

The offense commits interference, the defense commits obstruction...except catcher's interference which is of course called against the defense.

I don't know if it does, but it absolutely should.

It's blocking the base(path) without the ball. By the letter of the law, it's obstruction... but I don't think it ever gets called.

Imo Parra passes the eye test very well in the OF. I don't buy whatever the defensive stats are selling on him. Great instincts, good speed, great glovework, & a great arm.

You may be right that Taylor winds up as the big-league CF post-Gomez, but imo it'd be a really nice surprise if he's actually even better defensively (heck, or equal to) than Parra. I think Parra is in the same defensive tier, or just one tier below, the Gomezes of the MLB world.

I think the Brewers could potentially extend Parra at a pretty reasonable rate, & obviously he could play any of the 3 OF spots going forward. It'd give the club a lot of flexibility.

I think he passes the eye test the same way that one girl does in a group of ugly girls. We've watched Khris Davis struggle to play catch without bouncing the ball to Gomez in between innings.

Him in CF is an entirely different story. If he was that good defensively, I suspect he'd have been playing CF. Not to mention I thought he took a terrible route on the double that bounced before the wall in during the 3 run rally.

I think he's a good defensive LF'er with a very strong arm, but AZ hasn't had great defensive CF'ers and yet he's rarely played in center. You could get by with him, but I think he'd be well below average.

Nice pitch, KRod!

I don't know if there's a hitter in the Majors that has an uglier swing than Pence. Everything he does just looks awkward to me.

I think he passes the eye test the same way that one girl does in a group of ugly girls.

I don't. He's easily one of the best defensive outfielders in the league imo.

Not sure why you bring up Davis. He has nothing to do with my opinion of Parra.

Aargh, walks.

Archived