Brewer Fanatic

2014-08-05 Giants (Lincecum) at Brewers (Nelson), 7:10 PM CDT [Brewers win, 4-3; Parra's first Brewers hit is a HR]

hawing

[igt-2012][game-setup][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/giants.png[/logo][game-info][h1]August 5 | 7:10 P.M.[/h1][h2]Giants (61-51) | Brewers (61-51)[/h2][h3]FSWI | WTMJ 620[/h3][/game-info][logo]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/logos/brewers.png[/logo][/game-setup][pitching-photos]http://i.imgur.com/T72Mubd.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/20589901/BrewerFan/2014/pitchers/brewers/nelson-02.jpg[/pitching-photos][game-matchup][divclass=away][h2]9-7, 4.21 ERA, 1.29 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Brewers | Game Log[/h3][h3]Lincecum needs two victories to reach 100 for his career. He's 3-4 with a 5.44 ERA on the road, compared to 6-3 with a 3.51 ERA at home. Lifetime, Lincecum is 3-1 with a 3.46 ERA at Miller Park.[/h3][/divclass][divclass=home][h2]1-2, 4.30 ERA, 1.30 WHIP[/h2][h3]Versus Giants | Game Log[/h3][h3]Nelson was supposed to start over the weekend in St. Louis, but he was pushed back because of a blister on his right index finger and will make his first-ever start against the Giants instead.[/h3][/divclass][starting-lineup][divclass=away]

1. RF Hunter Pence
  2. 2B Joe Panik
  3. 1B Brandon Belt
  4. 3B Pablo Sandoval
  5. CF Gregor Blanco
  6. SS Brandon Crawford
  7. LF Juan Perez
  8. C Andrew Susac
  9. RHP Tim Lincecum

[/divclass][divclass=home]

1. CF Carlos Gómez
  2. LF Gerardo Parra
  3. RF Ryan Braun
  4. 3B Aramis Ramírez
  5. C Jonathan Lucroy
  6. 1B Mark Reynolds
  7. 2B Rickie Weeks
  8. SS Jean Segura
  9. RHP Jimmy Nelson

[/divclass][/starting-lineup][/game-matchup][game-links][h3][chat]BrewerFan Chat[/chat] | MLB Gameday[/h3][/game-links][/igt-2012]

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nelson returns from blister issue to face Giants

San Francisco calls on Lincecum for opener in Milwaukee

By Caitlin Swieca / MLB.com | 8/4/2014 7:03 PM ET

After being scratched from his scheduled start on Saturday with a blister on his right middle finger, Jimmy Nelson said he'll be ready to go on Tuesday for the Brewers' series opener against the Giants.

The blister first developed last Sunday in Nelson's start against the Mets, and it tore off during a long toss session in St. Petersburg. He was on board with the decision to push the start back a few days.

"The main thing is not letting it snowball to where it lingers on," Nelson said. "Let's knock it out now so it doesn't carry on."

Nelson threw a light bullpen session Sunday in St. Louis to make sure the issue would not affect his pitches. Up to that point, he said it was not an issue because of the location of the blister -- in the middle of the pad of his finger.

"I've never had a blister problem," he said. "It's just from sweating and constantly rubbing, just like a runner gets on his heels when you're sweating and your shoes are rubbing. Every pitch I throw, that part of my finger is rubbing right on the seam. We've been doing a bunch of treatments since it happened to harden it up and give it a protective layer so the skin can grow under it.

"It's tough, because at the same time, you have to get your throwing in. So you're trying to be careful about the way you're throwing, so you don't make it worse all over again. I should be good. It's been slowly getting better every day. Of course, I'm anxious to get back out there. My body feels good."

Nelson, a rookie, has shown improvement in his last two starts, allowing five earned runs in 13 innings after a disastrous outing in his first start in the rotation.

He'll face off against veteran Tim Lincecum, who's 3-1 with a 3.64 ERA in his career at Miller Park.

As of late, Lincecum has struggled, allowing a combined 11 earned runs in 7 2/3 innings against the Dodgers and Pirates in his two most recent starts. After lasting just 3 1/3 innings against the Bucs, Lincecum identified a mechanical problem which compounded his troubles.

"Instead of driving through my back leg, I was peeling off and couldn't really right the wrong," Lincecum said.

A simple flip up over the calendars could correct Lincecum's recent woes, though. Over 40 career starts in August, Lincecum owns a 3.24 ERA, his second lowest ERA of any one month.

Giants: Sanchez cleared for rehab assignment

Now free of all concussion-related symptoms, Giants backup catcher Hector Sanchez is expected to join Triple-A Fresno Tuesday to begin his rehab assignment.

Sanchez has been on the disabled list since July 26 after sustaining a concussion from a foul tip off his mask.

The team hasn't specified how long of a stint he'll require. Fresno finishes off a two-game series in Salt Lake City Tuesday and has an off-day Wednesday before embarking on a five-day series in Tacoma on Thursday.

Sanchez was batting .196 (32-for-163) with three home runs and 28 RBIs before landing on the DL.

Buster Posey has received more action behind the dish with Sanchez sidelined, but Posey is expected to receive a day of rest on Tuesday.

Brewers: Gennett, Segura sit with stiff quads

With two important months remaining in the regular season, the Brewers have some concern about the lingering leg issues dogging their double-play combination. Both second baseman Scooter Gennett (right quadriceps) and shortstop Jean Segura (left quadriceps) were sidelined Sunday after previous injuries flared up in Saturday's loss at Busch Stadium.

"It's OK," Gennett said Sunday morning. "It's just one of those things that obviously isn't going to really go away. It probably will eventually. I just need to watch out, how much I'm using it. I can't go all-out speed every time. That's usually how I play, I'm running out every ground ball no matter what the case is."

Gennett had previously been out of the lineup for five days just after the All-Star break. He appeared to twist his ankle on a swing in the ninth inning of Sunday's game but remained in to finish the at-bat.

Worth noting

• Milwaukee has had at least a share of first place in the National League Central every day since April 5.

• The Brewers are the only team in the Major Leagues with five players at 50 RBIs or more (Ryan Braun, Khris Davis, Carlos Gomez, Jonathan Lucroy, Aramis Ramirez).

• Second baseman Dan Uggla will be released by the Giants after declining an assignment to Triple-A Fresno.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Welp, if the Brewers were facing a pitcher brand new to them, at least some of us would be expecting the worst. (Not saying that doesn't include myself.)

So why can't it bode ill for the Giants? she asked hopefully.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
Is it me or do we lead the league in K's on offense? Feels like our hitters think they face Cy Young on a daily basis.

Milwaukee is 19th in strikeouts--below average!

The other leadoff options in today's lineup are Parra, Weeks or Segura.

I'll take Gomez in a funk over any of the three.

I realize Gomez just hit a 2-R HR, but wouldn't you rather see Weeks at leadoff Gomez at 5? I know it's not the best case scenario but at least Weeks is a patient hitter. Also why waste Gomez there when he is truly a power hitter with speed. I don't get it.

Get your best hitters the most at bats. Rather see Gomez swing it once more a game than Weeks
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Get your best hitters the most at bats. Rather see Gomez swing it once more a game than Weeks

This. Plus Gomez has proven he's a well above average hitter over the past couple years. This was a lull not the new norm. Let him swing his way out of it without moving him around the order

Well the results at AAA this year strongly hinted that he had made a substantial improvement in his control, and that has certainly carried over into his major league starts so far. He did have that one blow-up, but his BB and K numbers have been very good.

Archived